The Legend of Korra

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is from before Korra even aired, which makes it pretty funny imo.

rrr_img_86098.jpg

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
wouldn't it be more accurate to say...bi-sexual?

i mean they both like guys/boys still, they happen to like each other too....

so it is the ultimate for mako when they want kids

he gets BOTH of them...in bed ....at the same time....the DOG!..

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Would have preferred it if they'd just confirmed it in the show instead of pulling a Dumbledore, but still interesting. Did it kind of come out of the blue for anyone else, or were there a bunch of signs I missed because I wasn't watching it with that mindset (other than Korra continuing to write to Asami while she was sick and not in touch with her other friends)?

Also wonder if they had it in mind from the beginning - it would explain a lot about the way she acted towards guys earlier in the show.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Azrayne;948951[B_sl said:
]Would have preferred it if they'd just confirmed it in the show instead of pulling a Dumbledore, but still interesting.[/B] Did it kind of come out of the blue for anyone else, or were there a bunch of signs I missed because I wasn't watching it with that mindset (other than Korra continuing to write to Asami while she was sick and not in touch with her other friends)?

Also wonder if they had it in mind from the beginning - it would explain a lot about the way she acted towards guys earlier in the show.
lol, I said this exact same thing to my wife when I read the announcement. We both took the ending as her being bisexual or gay, but the lack of confirmation was kind of annoying. Once they came out and were proud of making her gay, I told her "they totally dumbledored that..."...I know they said Nick gave them support, but I have to imagine they didn't include an actual kiss for marketing reasons and distribution/rating reasons. Still, thought it was kind of shady to take credit for doing something bold, when "bold" was something so subtle and only contained to the last 3 minutes of the show. (Compared to just about every other relationship in the show, which they were pretty open about displays of affection.)

But yeah, there were some minor clues in Reunion, but certainly nothing that couldn't have been read as Korra merely sympathizing more with another female friend. I mean, the total foreshadowing ends up being one compliment by Asami and some blushing by Korra+The letters thing. It wasn't precisely pronounced. I skipped one episode though, so originally I thought I missed something too. Still, it was cool they went in that direction; Korra is totally going to be the butch one.

Cybsled

If you read the blog post, he more or less confirms that Nick was only ok with them going so far in the show. They have a business to run and if they made it most explicit, you'd have a bunch of bible-thumping hee-haws in Florida QQing about the show and wanting a boycott of the network.

In terms of Asami + Korra and the hinting, one post I read that made a good point is if you literally replaced Asami with Mako in S3+S4 and otherwise kept the scenes+dialogue essentially the same, there would have been no question as to what was going on between them.

Caliane

Would have preferred it if they'd just confirmed it in the show instead of pulling a Dumbledore, but still interesting. Did it kind of come out of the blue for anyone else, or were there a bunch of signs I missed because I wasn't watching it with that mindset (other than Korra continuing to write to Asami while she was sick and not in touch with her other friends)?

Largely out of the blue. Fans being fans have joked about it since the start of course. Both Asami and Korra spent extensive time in the first 2 seasons chasing boys..
Season3 finale did have Asami taking care of the wounded Korra, and season 4 did make not to have Korra talk to Asami and say she was the only one she felt comfortable talking to. Both of which are about as lesbians as Frozen...

This show has a problem with this in large. Everything is too quick. We got alot of being told things are, and out of the blue. Rava out of the blue. Asami's dad coming back, attoning, dieing out of the blue. in like 3 minutes of screen time for closure... Asami getting over it. Giant robot out of the blue. (At least that has some forshadowing with the domes I guess. but still zero explanation)

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Blame that on Nickelodeon. Avatar had an extensive story because each season consisted of 20+ episodes, with multiple books. Korra only had what, 10 episodes per season? Nickelodeon gave up on Korra IMHO.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The last season was even more rushed because they had to waste 20 minutes on clips.

The world and the characters are phenomenal, it's baffling that nobody gives them the room they need to tell the story with no corners cut.

Caliane

I don't know.

Like, you guys say, its Nicks fault for cutting them short. well, its not like they didn't know this going in. and had 4 "seasons" of Korra to learn the pacing. And Nick didn't tell them to retcon stuff, or just pull shit randomly from all directions. Korras world building and themes are kindof all over the place. Spirit portals, giant avatars, giant mechs.. It was like a grabbag of ideas, and not super coherent.
Thats on them for taking a hundred tiny ideas and cramming them together. Could have just been a giant fortified airship, a "death star", or something more Earth kingdom related, thats not a train. A mobile city maybe. would have fit in the world, and have been a logical progression, while also creating that idea of insurmountably force. heck, thats part of the Mech problem. all I can think of is, man that would be really easy to knock over. especially if we have earth bending powers. and what kindof targeting system does it have? giant laser is only as effective as its targeting system.

Cybsled

especially if we have earth bending powers. and what kindof targeting system does it have? giant laser is only as effective as its targeting system.
They seemed to have some sort of "manual" targeting. There is a scene in the last episode where you see her using some type of built-in "iron sights" type system to aim.

Caliane

They seemed to have some sort of "manual" targeting. There is a scene in the last episode where you see her using some type of built-in "iron sights" type system to aim.
yeah, in fact at the end, when shes using the cannon herself... pulling the trigger. hahah.