The Legend of Korra

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Pardon my ignorance. But I know Batman The Animated Series. What is the Timmverse?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
It will indeed be very bittersweet to see the end. Having two books in one year has been a treat, but now we won't have any more at all and even if they do come back to the Avatar world in a few years it wont be with Korra etc.

I have never seen someone watch the show and not be interested in what was going on nor have I seen any bad reviews of it...It just mystifies me how this not only not a megahit but not even considered average. It is without any doubt the best animated show in the U.S. at this point and every aspect of it has been class and quality. Hell they even had a clip-show that managed to be pretty damn nice.

I suspect in 15 years Nick and its partners will still be selling copies of Korra and everyone will treat it with the reverence we currently have for Batman the Animated Series and the Timmverse.
Most people see animated series and think "kid stuff", Nick is doing their worst trying to keep people from seeing it and there's close to zero merchandise. There's also a fair bit confusion among th general audience when you talk about Avatar, most people think of realistic smurfs. Internet seems to be stepping in a bit though, I think it's the most talked about series on tumblr with A:TLA being 5th and there are tons of third-party created merchandise.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Most people see animated series and think "kid stuff", Nick is doing their worst trying to keep people from seeing it and there's close to zero merchandise. There's also a fair bit confusion among th general audience when you talk about Avatar, most people think of realistic smurfs. Internet seems to be stepping in a bit though, I think it's the most talked about series on tumblr with A:TLA being 5th and there are tons of third-party created merchandise.
It also gets a lot of love from some popular sites like IGN and especially the AV Club. It doesn't really matter in the end though, since we did get all 4 seasons of Korra as promised and they were always planning on taking a long break after Korra. I just hope that Netflix can manage to pick it up sometime within the next few years and support them like they deserve.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
rrr_img_85255.jpg

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I have to admit I was really put off by the whole giant robot thing. A huge part of the appeal this series has is that it avoids almost all of the nonsense that makes anime unwatchable for me.

For the most part, I've enjoyed this sequel, even if it isn't quite what the original series was in terms of the storyline having a coherent direction. I could deal with small things like technological development being all over the place (which can always be put down to the influence of bending - eg. the lightning benders working in power plants, which I thought was cool), even them moving into a weird futuristic direction with the battlesuits and what not, and I thought the whole thing with the "spirit vine weapon" along with a "Great Uniter" was a cool nod to the events of the 1940's and 50's in Asia, but I officially draw the line at skyscraper sized robots shooting laser beams (somehow moved around by WW1 era controls). It was just fucking absurd, came out of nowhere and felt totally out of context. I get that they need to come up with an enemy that the avatar can't just smash down into the ground by virtue of being the avatar, but a giant fucking robot with fucking laserbeams coming out of it's wrist, the shitty anime cliche to beat all shitty anime cliches, was the best they could do?

Cybsled

The events on the show seem more in line with WW2 than WW1 right now, so by that extension, the giant robot /w spirit laser = nuclear weapons.

Although it honestly isn't too far fetched for a strong metal bender if the movement system basically just magnified the metal bending through mechanical means (ie, metal bender moves X gear and other systems help magnify the force of that movement overall).

Azrayne

Yeah I figured the spirit weapon = nuclear weapons and Kuvira was a female Mao Zedong, I thought it worked pretty well actually, especially compared to the plotlines in some of the earlier seasons, but why did they have to bring giant fucking robots into it? It just tipped the whole thing to the point of being ridiculous right out of nowhere at the climax.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
kuvira has metal and earth benders in her army no WAY her train can become useless...unless she is an idiot
front of train:
earth benders smooth a flowing earth railbed
metal benders take the -prebuilt- rails slide them out and down onto the bed..

at rear of train
metal benders take the rails and slide them back onto the train holding rack

train could go anywhere without being derailed, the only way to stop it would be to be attacking the train and killing/capturing all the benders.

all that said, i wasn't crazy about the giant metal robot either...

Azrayne

kuvira has metal and earth benders in her army no WAY her train can become useless...unless she is an idiot
front of train:

at rear of train

train could go anywhere without being derailed, the only way to stop it would be to be attacking the train and killing/capturing all the benders.

Or just mount it on a tank. Or hell, one of the zeppelins. No need to bring giant robots into it.

The Master

Bronze Squire
front of train:

at rear of train

This is actually more complicated than it needs to be. Earthbenders could could create what is essentially a standing wave of earth that continually moves forward. Anything with wheels could be made to roll "downhill" on the wave, forever. This gives Earthbenders theoretically unmatched mobility for moving armies. And for shipping, really, on the economic side.

The things that CAN be done with these powers are never sufficiently explored by the writers, unfortunately.

Azrayne

This is actually more complicated than it needs to be. Earthbenders could could create what is essentially a standing wave of earth that continually moves forward. Anything with wheels could be made to roll "downhill" on the wave, forever. This gives Earthbenders theoretically unmatched mobility for moving armies. And for shipping, really, on the economic side.

The things that CAN be done with these powers are never sufficiently explored by the writers, unfortunately.
Because then they'd have to catalog the mechanics of the whole system and set firm boundaries on what is and isn't possible, which might interfere with the creation of some cool new power later on. Better to leave it vague so you can always crank it up later on, at least from a broader storytelling perspective.

One thing I don't like about the system is the way that bending is an innate ability. No skill works like that in the real world, it always seems weird when it does in fantasy settings. Like with the martial arts that bending is based on - not everyone can be a world class martial artist, but everyone can find a teacher and reach a decent level of proficiency if they work for it. I think it would have been much cooler, for example, if instead of a bunch of people from the other nations randomly gaining airbending half way through the series cause some freaky spirit world stuff happened, people had traveled from all over the world to study under Tenzin and learning airbending during the interim between the two series', and the airbending nation had been rebuilt that way.

Zaheer could have been a student of Temzin's who turned against the air nation philosophy, instead of a radical anarchist who just happens to also dig airbending philosophy and just happens to become an airbender when the freaky spirit world shit goes down. Bumi could have been the black sheep of the family who abandoned his training as a child, but after reconnecting with Tenzin, takes his training back up again and becomes a full blown airbender, instead of it being another coincidence. It'd be much more organic, and also much more in line with the whole genre of martial arts media. And who doesn't love a good training montage?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I did appreciate the fact that she did not go into the Avatar state in that battle. Showing some actual moves, for once.