The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Just finished the game. God it's so good. It wasn't hard, but wasn't overly easy. I died a few times (I tend to fuck around sometimes and not pay attention). I felt the difficulty was absolutely perfect for me. This game went down like a fine wine, and is probably now my favorite Zelda of all time. I never thought my favorite would be a handheld, but here we are.

Man, this fucking game.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
If you have never played a Zelda game before and only have a 3ds xl are there other games you should play before Link between worlds? As a youngster I loved rpgs like ultima, bards tale, baldurs gate. Every time I saw a Zelda game I got turned off by bumper cars w/ saw blades sticking out of the side and stuff that just seemed goofy to me. Now I am older, and find good games, that are not remakes, are alot fewer and far between. Working on Fire emblem now, awesome game, amazing graphics, and yet the graphic designer intentionally left out FEET on every model... Actually rather annoying, sacrafices we make to play great games =P

Dumar_sl

shitlord
If you have never played a Zelda game before and only have a 3ds xl are there other games you should play before Link between worlds? As a youngster I loved rpgs like ultima, bards tale, baldurs gate. Every time I saw a Zelda game I got turned off by bumper cars w/ saw blades sticking out of the side and stuff that just seemed goofy to me. Now I am older, and find good games, that are not remakes, are alot fewer and far between. Working on Fire emblem now, awesome game, amazing graphics, and yet the graphic designer intentionally left out FEET on every model... Actually rather annoying, sacrafices we make to play great games =P
There's no games you should play before really, each Zelda stands on their own. However, some of the appeal is that the game is a reinvisioning of the world in A Link to the Past. I'd play that first if you wanted some background of the where/whys in this game.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don't get the fuss. The dungeons are easy, the bosses are easy and the world small and simple to navigate. How are you supposed to explore when 80% of the map is Hyrule Field?

The only things which hit a reasonable level of difficulty were the death mountain moving lava platforms and having to spot that you could blow up the top floor windows in the Shadow Temple. I haven't bothered killing the last boss, died the first time then was too busy to try again but I was told in this thread that there's some armor nearby which should make it retard easy.

Being able to rent items so easily and so cheaply is utterly pointless and removes any sense of acheivement and progression. I didn't even try any of the retarded minigames which seem to be in every mysterious location on the map making it pointless to explore since it'll just be a fucking minigame anyway.

I played Link to the Past a few years ago on emulator and was defeated by the Ice Temple which I think I randomly fell into, that game was difficult and had a world to explore. This is nintendo kiddie shit, oh yeah the story is shit too.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I played Link to the Past a few years ago on emulator
PLS GO

This game is a refreshing bit of nostalgia for anyone who played LTTP when it was a premier game on the system. If you are looking for challenge Link's Awakening for the Game Boy was probably the most difficult Zelda outside of the NES originals, the 1st which is adds frustrating secret finding if you don't have a guide and the 2nd which was not really a Zelda game at all.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I don't get the fuss. The dungeons are easy, the bosses are easy and the world small and simple to navigate. How are you supposed to explore when 80% of the map is Hyrule Field?

The only things which hit a reasonable level of difficulty were the death mountain moving lava platforms and having to spot that you could blow up the top floor windows in the Shadow Temple. I haven't bothered killing the last boss, died the first time then was too busy to try again but I was told in this thread that there's some armor nearby which should make it retard easy.

Being able to rent items so easily and so cheaply is utterly pointless and removes any sense of acheivement and progression. I didn't even try any of the retarded minigames which seem to be in every mysterious location on the map making it pointless to explore since it'll just be a fucking minigame anyway.

I played Link to the Past a few years ago on emulator and was defeated by the Ice Temple which I think I randomly fell into, that game was difficult and had a world to explore. This is nintendo kiddie shit, oh yeah the story is shit too.
I find this game easier than LttP, yes. Part of that is being older and more experienced, but also the dungeons in general seem to be shorter. But easier doesn't mean it's bad. I'd prefer more linear progression than renting items. This game is still better than any released this year (which says much about the shitty state of affairs of this industry).

Some of the minigames are hard though (fuck you 100 sec chicken dodge).

Chris

Potato del Grande
I played Link's Awakening on Game Boy when it came out, it was an awesome game. Better than this one actually, as were Oracle of Seasons and Ages.
Windwaker 2 on the DS was too easy but had some neat new ideas, this one doesn't have anything new. In fact it seems to have less things to do.

Fire Emblem is far better and that was released outside of Japan this year.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I agree that the challenge was pretty much 0 in the first quest(I haven't played through again on Master's quest) and that the only part I even slightly had to try on were those platforms. The baseball game took me a while to get the heart container as well. For me, it was mostly just good, old Zelda gameplay and nostalgia. It's a quality game, regardless of difficulty.

Crell_sl

shitlord
I agree that the challenge was pretty much 0 in the first quest(I haven't played through again on Master's quest) and that the only part I even slightly had to try on were those platforms. The baseball game took me a while to get the heart container as well. For me, it was mostly just good, old Zelda gameplay and nostalgia. It's a quality game, regardless of difficulty.
100% hated the baseball mini game. Took me a few hours to get it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
PLS GO

This game is a refreshing bit of nostalgia for anyone who played LTTP when it was a premier game on the system. If you are looking for challenge Link's Awakening for the Game Boy was probably the most difficult Zelda outside of the NES originals, the 1st which is adds frustrating secret finding if you don't have a guide and the 2nd which was not really a Zelda game at all.
Zelda 2 was hard as fuck. Not the hardest game, but probably the hardest first-party developer game ever made.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Baseball is easy. Wtf guys?

My only complaint is that they didn't unlock Hero Mode from the get go. It would have alleviated a lot of the difficulty concerns and is definitely a significant jump.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I forgot to post in here.

100% complete Hero Mode, all hearts, items, etc.

Finally found the blue and red tunic lol, as well as the fully upgraded sword and upgraded items. Once you get the blue tunic hero mode kind of loses it's luster, and the red tunic makes it a JOKE.

All in all, took me 9 hours and 6 deaths. I think I died 3 times at the 4th dungeon (it was 4th in LTTP) with the thieves. The room with the 5 fucking assholes who charge you when they open their eyes? Took me THREE deaths to realize to just fucking use the wind rod thing. Retard.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh, and for baseball, the easiest way to do is to just hit 3 in a row and hit the stupid bird for 20 points. Aiming for the golden one or whatever it is is fucking pointless because Nintendo sucks at baseball. Just always hit 3 in a row and then the bird, if you hit one of the golden ones great. Oh, and obviously you gotta hit the stupid little crabs or whatever they are so you can reset the field.

Definitely the best way to go imo.

Crell_sl

shitlord
Oh, and for baseball, the easiest way to do is to just hit 3 in a row and hit the stupid bird for 20 points. Aiming for the golden one or whatever it is is fucking pointless because Nintendo sucks at baseball. Just always hit 3 in a row and then the bird, if you hit one of the golden ones great. Oh, and obviously you gotta hit the stupid little crabs or whatever they are so you can reset the field.

Definitely the best way to go imo.
It was more about me figuring out the aiming in the baseball game than anything else. Once I got that mostly down, it went pretty easily with some luck. Sometimes the damned ball would just go wherever it wanted. Easily one of my least favorite Zelda mini games... Rest of the game makes up for it entirely, but I could of done without any of that.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Baseball is easy. Wtf guys?
Compared to videogames in general? Yeah. Compared to most of the stuff in this game, it was one of the very few challenging parts. I didn't die a single time in the main quest. It took me more than 9 or 10 times to get the baseball heart.

The Master

Bronze Squire
There is an Easter Egg on Hero mode, if you go by "your" house in Lorule, enter it from the back and read the book.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Complete the Thieves Hideout and they all start wearing Majora's Masks and hoping to transform lol.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Where is the Red Tunic? I found the blue one on my first run through.

I'm playing Hero mode and let me tell you, holy shit. LOL. You die within like 2 hits. I had to get two bottles immediately before even encountering Yuga (second time) after you get the sword.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Where is the Red Tunic? I found the blue one on my first run through.

I'm playing Hero mode and let me tell you, holy shit. LOL. You die within like 2 hits. I had to get two bottles immediately before even encountering Yuga (second time) after you get the sword.
Last dungeon.