The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

spronk

FPS noob
Verdict on Wii U version?

No fucking way am I buying a switch.

nearly identical, switch has some better AA and better consistent FPS in portable mode (both versions are locked to 30 fps) but wii u is just fine. switch docked mode is worse than wii u mode since it renders at 900p but that causes more unstable FPS drops all the time, so ironically if you want to play on a TV the wii u version is better.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
How would you guys compare it to Skyrim in terms of world size, open-endedness, etc?
I'd say it's already better than Skyrim because I didn't get bored in the first five hours.

On a more serious note, the map is fucking huge. The game is as open ended as you can get. All puzzles are based on abilities you unlock in the first area, so you can literally go anywhere after that and get something done. Assuming you can survive, that is.

• 1Smuggly
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The mentioned difficulty is kind of a dealbreaker for me.
I've never played Zelda games for their difficulty. If I wanted a Souls game I'd play a Souls game.
I only got about 8 hours in before Horizon showed up in my mailbox, and maybe things change later on, but I'd say it's a bit hard for a Zelda game yet nowhere in the same league as -Souls or (especially) Nioh. Or even Horizon on very hard or NieR on hard, for that matter. I think it's more likely that people are wandering into places they don't belong yet, rather than following the intended path. Not to imply that it's linear or anything, but there's definitely a progression.

I wouldn't let the difficulty claims put you off from playing it. All the perfect scores are a bit silly, but based on what I've played so far they aren't *that* much of an exaggeration.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
The mentioned difficulty is kind of a dealbreaker for me.
I've never played Zelda games for their difficulty. If I wanted a Souls game I'd play a Souls game.

Ya, it's not as difficult as Souls. I just meant there's a level of difficulty and ambiguity to the world that is Souls-like, but nowhere near as difficult. Sorry, I wouldn't let what I said about difficulty dissuade you. It's not hard, but there are times where you will die and think, "I don't belong here yet."

How would you guys compare it to Skyrim in terms of world size, open-endedness, etc?

Run around and find side quests, hidden treasures or follow the main quest in whatever order you want. Starting area is the tutorial but barely feels like a tutorial and you have everything you need after that to set out as you see fit.

Diemess

Silver Knight of the Realm
Verdict on Wii U version?

No fucking way am I buying a switch.

Worth it. I'm playing it right now on the Wii U and it looks great on my TV. Best money I've spent on this damn console since I first bought it..

• 2Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
To people worried about the difficulty, I think it's not a huge problem, it's just that the game gives you tutorials once and then you're on your own. I learned how to dodge, parry, block, jump to the side to get an advantage in one of the early shrines, then rarely had to use any of it because I was just steamrolling my way across trash mobs with longer range weapons like spears or stuff like that.. fastforward to 5 hours later where I'm just exploring and run into a Lynel that kindly hands me my ass a few dozen times with one-hit kills from his bow AND sword AND charge, until I got it down by practicing those moves I'd learned a while back...

Most times where you'll die it's because you're not doing it as it's intended, or because you're not using a trick you learned before. Or you ran straight to Ganon with your noob pants on.

Anyway, I'm maybe 12 hours in, just exploring and running around and climbing EVERYTHING, this feels like one of the best games I've ever played (I've played a LOT of games), and definitely the most advanced Zelda game. I remember seeing those videos a few years back with Myamoto saying Skyrim was the inspiration for this new Zelda and he wanted a huge ass world, but this is beyond even my wildest expectations from this.. it's incredible to me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

I am playing the WiiU version, looks fine and just the same as my friends posting their Switch version - as stated every version has FPS issues- the "best" in FPS issues is undocked Switch, and that is kinda silly.

As for the game- I can say I am indeed enjoying the game and wondering around. Weapon breakage needs to be 1/3 what it is now- esp in the test shrines were you are playing pause-and-smack shit to get it into the proper hole... its horrific, I have 2 that I have marked to return to because I simply run out of weapons...I must suck at that particular mechanic.

So I am going to wonder around and look for the master sword - but I stumbled upon the zora plotline - so I will see how far I can get on that before I go back to wondering around.

I found some giant cyclops in a field, died a few times before I remembered I had a bow lol - owned- this was the first "boss"? that had a name and healthbar etc.

As for the plot, I aint spoiling this as its from the tutorial. I think they need to stop making up new forms of Ganon - I also think the 100 years is dumb - so Zelda has been containing Ganon for 100 years NP... Also they are taking up a huge chunk of "plot" and timeline time with the 10k years... But its zelda the plot is generally just a means to and end so I will get over it...or maybe there is more (duh) and it actually makes it better, as right now it seems a little convoluted to be convoluted.

This is off of the Hero Failed timeline right? same as OG Zelda, II, LTTP, Adventures of Link, Twilight and Windwaker?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Biggest lag spikes so far: divine guardian first encounter in Zora's Domain.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The Lynel outside the Zora kingdom, I must have died 30 times on that thing. Holy fuckballs.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The Lynel outside the Zora kingdom, I must have died 30 times on that thing. Holy fuckballs.
Yeah that was the mini boss I was referring to in an earlier post. Then I find out it's a normal mob, not a mini...

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I don't think you are meant to kill it. You can just sneak around and pick up all the arrows you need. I didn't kill it until later when I had 10+ hearts.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I don't think you are meant to kill it. You can just sneak around and pick up all the arrows you need. I didn't kill it until later when I had 10+ hearts.

Haha I downed him with 4 hearts and the noob clothing on except for Zora Tunic, but it sure sucked. I broke just about every weapon I had, including a badass flaming sword I'd found in a secret shrine... but hey, at least I downed the fucker and picked up his epic loot, a shield and sword less good than what I broke to kill him haha.

Anyways, question for the people who've finished the Zora's Domain dungeon :

I obviously got Mipha's Trident and learned from the trident repairman about the Ceremonial Trident, found it into the pools under Zora's Domain platforms and picked it up with Magnesis.. I read online you can have the blacksmith combine both tridents to make one unbreakable trident (instead of breakable but repairable as many times as you want as it is now) but I don't see any option for it in the dialogue with the NPC.. Anyone have any clues as to how you can combine them? Do you have to break one of the tridents for the option to make it unbreakable to appear?

Needless

Toe Sucker
Hes actually really easy, back flip timed to get flurry strike is incredibly easy to land on those minotaurs.

This game is amazing, i had no intention of grabbing it but im very glad i caved

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Rain in this game has got to be the worst fucking mechanic put in any game in the last few years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Yeah it's raining a lot, at least it feels like. I am playing on the WiiU with a pro controller and not a single time I wished I had a switch. It's not i could tell 720p from 900p with that cellshading style I think. Having played Horizon the week before I really thought someone's joking the first hour. Fast forward 14 hours later I almost forgot to go to the bathroom and to eat.

I have no idea but they got this open world feeling very right this time. Even "farming" feels good "man, look some meat. I can make stamina food again".

Damn good game, really. Not 98% like metacritic claims and definitely not without flaws, but very entertaining and so much to do.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Rain comes in two ways, people. There's some scripted rain like during the hike to Zora's Domain where it's plot-related and you have to finish the quest to stop the rain, but other times it's just temporary and you can sit by a fire (under a rock outcropping or it won't start) and it gives you the option to wait a few hours or more, so the storm can pass.

Speaking of rain, I got caught ontop of a mountain in the middle of a thunderstorm and I was running trying to not get zapped (had to switch my metal weapons and shield to wooden because it would attract lightning strikes), eventually got ambushed by a big ass moblin and he got struck by lightning when he tried to swing his sword at me haha!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Rain comes in two ways, people. There's some scripted rain like during the hike to Zora's Domain where it's plot-related and you have to finish the quest to stop the rain, but other times it's just temporary and you can sit by a fire (under a rock outcropping or it won't start) and it gives you the option to wait a few hours or more, so the storm can pass.

Speaking of rain, I got caught ontop of a mountain in the middle of a thunderstorm and I was running trying to not get zapped (had to switch my metal weapons and shield to wooden because it would attract lightning strikes), eventually got ambushed by a big ass moblin and he got struck by lightning when he tried to swing his sword at me haha!
Oh ok, ill just jump down the mountain I got 75% up because it started raining and go find a fire and then do it all over when it starts raining again.

There are plenty of places where there isn't a fire near where you basically either have to just sit there and wait for it to end or just fast travel somewhere else. Same with anything involving a torch, super fun to have it rain like 6 times lighting the lanterns for Robbie's forge.

It does nothing to add fun or challenge to the game, just tedium

• 1Like
  • 1Salty