The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
BOTW is the only zelda game I completed and really played for more than 1 hour and its sorta ruined other zelda games for me. I tried playing Skyward Sword HD, put in a good 10-15 hours and just got super angry and frustrated with the shit combat system (playing on a pro controller) and gave the game away to a relative. Every other zelda game kinda feels like ass after BOTW.

i think the only one though not remastered to switch (from wii u) is the island one, windwaker HD. Hopefully that gets ported some day, pretty weird they didn't do it for 35th anniversary.

Are all of the Zelda games available on Switch besides WW? Or at least all of the 3D ones? If so that's a striking omission. Reminds me of how Dragon Quest 4 was the only one of the first six not playable on Super Famicom, and Final Fantasy 3 was the only one of the first six not playable on Playstation. These things must drive OCD people nuts.

Anyway, having barely played any of Skyward or BOTW, I can say that the main reason BOTW appeals to me less is because the graphics feel faded and "washed out" to me. Skyward was already doing that, and felt a bit more washed out than its predecessors. Twilight made everything brown, so really, I guess the last Zelda that felt really colorful to me was WW. But yeah, Skyward started this weird "washed-out" look and then BOTW went all-in with it. There's nothing interesting about BOTW's environment to me and it looks like something from a VR game (un-detailed, color-lacking). Then again I only played BOTW for an hour so I only saw one environment, the initial field. I assume there are different biomes as you go on, like a forest and maybe a desert. I've only seen screenshots of the same field I saw, though. And compared to other OW games like Witcher 3 and Skyrim (both of which I also still haven't played), BOTW looks so much duller in comparison.

...blargh, there are a lot of huge games I never played, especially from the last decade.

As far as Skyward goes, I like what I've seen of it even though the visuals are a little washed. Unsure if I'll play with joy-cons/motion or a controller. I should probably spring for a Pro Controller since the Switch controller I have doesn't have vibration. However it is a Zelda-themed controller and it looks great. Just wish it had some sort of feedback.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Are all of the Zelda games available on Switch besides WW? Or at least all of the 3D ones? If so that's a striking omission. Reminds me of how Dragon Quest 4 was the only one of the first six not playable on Super Famicom, and Final Fantasy 3 was the only one of the first six not playable on Playstation. These things must drive OCD people nuts.

Anyway, having barely played any of Skyward or BOTW, I can say that the main reason BOTW appeals to me less is because the graphics feel faded and "washed out" to me. Skyward was already doing that, and felt a bit more washed out than its predecessors. Twilight made everything brown, so really, I guess the last Zelda that felt really colorful to me was WW. But yeah, Skyward started this weird "washed-out" look and then BOTW went all-in with it. There's nothing interesting about BOTW's environment to me and it looks like something from a VR game (un-detailed, color-lacking). Then again I only played BOTW for an hour so I only saw one environment, the initial field. I assume there are different biomes as you go on, like a forest and maybe a desert. I've only seen screenshots of the same field I saw, though. And compared to other OW games like Witcher 3 and Skyrim (both of which I also still haven't played), BOTW looks so much duller in comparison.

...blargh, there are a lot of huge games I never played, especially from the last decade.

As far as Skyward goes, I like what I've seen of it even though the visuals are a little washed. Unsure if I'll play with joy-cons/motion or a controller. I should probably spring for a Pro Controller since the Switch controller I have doesn't have vibration. However it is a Zelda-themed controller and it looks great. Just wish it had some sort of feedback.
There’s desert, ruins, snow, lava, water, beaches, forest, swamp. I wouldn’t call it washed out, it’s a pretty good looking game. And runs well on the switch surprisingly. Links Awakening is a lag fest.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
BOTW is the only zelda game I completed and really played for more than 1 hour and its sorta ruined other zelda games for me. I tried playing Skyward Sword HD, put in a good 10-15 hours and just got super angry and frustrated with the shit combat system (playing on a pro controller) and gave the game away to a relative. Every other zelda game kinda feels like ass after BOTW.

i think the only one though not remastered to switch (from wii u) is the island one, windwaker HD. Hopefully that gets ported some day, pretty weird they didn't do it for 35th anniversary.

What's wrong with Skyward Sword on the pro controller? I recently got the HD version -and- a pro controller for it.

I heard it was a lot easier with the controller than it was originally with the motion controls, which is okay with me. Though back in 2011 I was super-intrigued by the idea of controlling your sword by swinging the Wiimote around in the air, in practice it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Or so I heard, I never got around to it then but I'm getting around to it soon now. Apparently the motion controls are still bad, if this thread is any indication.

Well, I'll get to it soon. I still haven't finished *%$&% Spirit Tracks. I like almost everything about Spirit Tracks a lot, and the forced motion controls aren't bad, but I just don't feel like being arsed by them 99% of the time.

Wind Waker HD not being on Switch is an odd oversight. What are the odds they release a "trilogy pack" for Switch with Wind Waker HD plus new remasters of Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks with normal controls? Man, those games would have so much more of an audience that way, and I can't imagine it'd take a ton of work to give them a quick remaster-over (like when DS games get mobile ports and look sharper).

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Well finally beat BOTW. Tried starting this game on the wii u ages ago but was put off by the starting area and honestly the open world elements. Figuring out recipes on your own is ass, but once you understand how it works it's fairly easy. Then again I never once created an elixir lol. I'm not a big fan of the weapon breaking, you can really get yourself in a bind on bosses if you run out of arrows or all your shit breaks. That said it does encourage you to use a ton of different weapons which is the benefit of said system. So not all bad.

Once you finally start understanding it and getting further into the game it really opens up. I loved it, probably my favorite Zelda game now.

If I was starting over I'd rush 52 shrines and get the master sword. (I know there is a glitch but meh)

The bird divine beast was a let down and way too easy.

I didn't get the true ending because fuck finding all the memories, I suppose if I cared I'd look up a guide for them, instead I'll probably just youtube the ending.

I'm sure I missed an ass ton of stuff but mostly because it was unnecessary to finish the game.

It's sad how bad the performance of this game is in certain areas, never really affects the combat but damn, release a switch pro plz.

Is the DLC worth it? I have so many games in my backlog so it's nice to get this out of the way and thus it's hard imagining going back to it.

If you've tried to play this game and have put it down like I did because it's a slow starter I highly recommend just figuring out a few recipes and plowing through, it's an amazing game and well worth the effort. (find anything like radishes that restores your hearts and gives you bonus hearts)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well finally beat BOTW. Tried starting this game on the wii u ages ago but was put off by the starting area and honestly the open world elements. Figuring out recipes on your own is ass, but once you understand how it works it's fairly easy. Then again I never once created an elixir lol. I'm not a big fan of the weapon breaking, you can really get yourself in a bind on bosses if you run out of arrows or all your shit breaks. That said it does encourage you to use a ton of different weapons which is the benefit of said system. So not all bad.

Once you finally start understanding it and getting further into the game it really opens up. I loved it, probably my favorite Zelda game now.

If I was starting over I'd rush 52 shrines and get the master sword. (I know there is a glitch but meh)

The bird divine beast was a let down and way too easy.

I didn't get the true ending because fuck finding all the memories, I suppose if I cared I'd look up a guide for them, instead I'll probably just youtube the ending.

I'm sure I missed an ass ton of stuff but mostly because it was unnecessary to finish the game.

It's sad how bad the performance of this game is in certain areas, never really affects the combat but damn, release a switch pro plz.

Is the DLC worth it? I have so many games in my backlog so it's nice to get this out of the way and thus it's hard imagining going back to it.

If you've tried to play this game and have put it down like I did because it's a slow starter I highly recommend just figuring out a few recipes and plowing through, it's an amazing game and well worth the effort. (find anything like radishes that restores your hearts and gives you bonus hearts)
For what’s it worth my 6yo loves the DLC. He has played through the game a few times now. He doesn’t want to delete his main game though because he can’t deal with the thought of wiping hundreds of hours out so he restarts on a different account name on the switch. Doing that you can’t play with the DLC though and he moans when he realizes some of the things that are left out.

I’d say if you still feel like progressing and playing in that world then yes it’s worth it.