The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Chris

Potato del Grande
Horses suck, you need to put the time into them. I'm not willing to so I run everywhere. It's fine because you get tons of meat for food and hervs/mushrooms for upgrades.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Horses are pretty bad, especially considering most of the places you want to go aren't really accessible to them anyways. That coupled with fast travel makes it not worth really keeping track of them.

I did get to ride a deer swinging the master sword though, so that was cool

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I guess, once you've got all the shrines and towers they lose usefulness. I've found them invaluable in exploration, though.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Eh, just always seemed to me that the cool places you would want to go are off the path. I'm almost always trying to get some elevation so I can look around for where to go next which makes it kinda hard to keep a horse around. I use the glider a lot.

Since I never really used them much (have one registered), do they come with you if you are on them when you fast travel? How far away can they be and come to the whistle?

• 1Solidarity

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
35 hours in and I haven't made it to a dungeon. I'm roaming the countryside looking for shrines and koroks, smashing fools and blowing stuff up. 10/10

Lol, I think I've advanced like 1 quest from the main story (Kakariko Village). I'm doing exactly what you are. Love it.

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
chaos chaos I'm with Soygen on Witcher 3. Still haven't beaten it yet (level 18, just got to Skellige) but it's probably the best game I've ever played. Combat is only OK but I have zero complaints about the rest.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Eh, just always seemed to me that the cool places you would want to go are off the path. I'm almost always trying to get some elevation so I can look around for where to go next which makes it kinda hard to keep a horse around. I use the glider a lot.

Since I never really used them much (have one registered), do they come with you if you are on them when you fast travel? How far away can they be and come to the whistle?
No, if you fast travel they stay in place, so if you warp back then they will be waiting for you where you left them. The whistle distance is pretty short, I'm not sure the exact distance. I was able to whistle for my horse when I was up at the tech office in Hateno Village and the horse came from the gate. Later on I whistled from the Hateno tower and the horse did not come from the gate. Look upon my exact measuring and despair.

What I have been doing is exploring a particular area, then moving up and parking my horse, exploring some more, rinse and repeat. In that case it actually works out that the horse stays in the same place.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Do the Korok seed guys respawn after a blood moon? I assume not, but you need something crazy like 450 of them to fully upgrade your inventory

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
The durability is lame and the camera is shit.

To clarify, I mean the smartphone's requirement that you photograph everything, then having menus that consist only of your shitty photo until you select it.

I think the stamina is an important part of making you plan things out correctly, so I don't think it's a negative for the game.

Other than the very early game where stamina can result in cheap deaths swimming, what does the stamina system actually do? It mostly boils down to slowing your movement down (not jumping while climbing & toggling run), and forces you into crafting stamina items. As there are stamina items it will never prevent a player from going somewhere.

Speaking of swimming... is Link the world's worst swimmer? He gets tired and drowns in ~20 feet.

I would complain about autosave, but you can manually save whenever you want, so it's not really a problem unless you forget to save(and that's on you).

What was the last game that you needed to worry about saving in? Everyone else has solved the problem but the one in Breath of the Wild is unreliable, gaming has mostly moved past the player needing to muck around in menus and wait for it to save. On the PC at least we would have a single hotkey, in Zelda its Menu > Switch to Save Menu > Save > Confirm > Wait 30-seconds.

I guess, once you've got all the shrines and towers they lose usefulness. I've found them invaluable in exploration, though.

I barely used them explore the entire map. The problem is the slightest obstacle or incline nearby brings them to a dead stop, they get stuck, they get knocked off cliffs. Wild horses peace out if you go too far away from them, tamed horses stick around but the whole reason you rode it there was that it was far so do you really want to ride it back?

The best way to travel in the game is to go high, then paraglide.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
TW3 kinda sucks.

I'll stop short of saying TW3 sucks but Witcher games just don't jive with me. I didn't care for 1 or 2 and I have no idea why I even bought 3. Everything feels clunky and I don't give a single fuck about any character in the game.

• 1Smuggly

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
What was the last game that you needed to worry about saving in? Everyone else has solved the problem but the one in Breath of the Wild is unreliable, gaming has mostly moved past the player needing to muck around in menus and wait for it to save. On the PC at least we would have a single hotkey, in Zelda its Menu > Switch to Save Menu > Save > Confirm > Wait 30-seconds.

Almost every open world RPG ever? Every Bethesda game, the Witcher series. Relying on auto-save is retarded.

• 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I rely almost exclusively on autosave;(

But I've never really had an issue with it, either. It saves pretty damn often.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Being able to play it at 1080p+ with stable fps would be great yeah. Hope they progress fast on that.
Agreed. I wasn't impressed with Cemu when I messed around with it a couple months ago, but hopefully they've been improving it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm honestly not seeing a horrible problem with frame rates on my WiiU. Biggest issue is jaggies. I'd love to run this on 4xAA or something. I'm sure the art is far more beautiful than what I'm seeing. Textures on like hillsides and fields look really good but for interact able objects .... not so much.

• 1Solidarity

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Played the WiiU version for a few hours. Still in tutorial area exploring.

Overall impression so far, fantastic sense of exploration. Seems like there is something around every corner, and I rarely go anywhere without there being something there. If that keeps up, which reviews and the few streams I have seen seem to indicate, it might be the best open world game made.

That said, comparing it to Witcher 3 doesn't seem right since they seem so different. Have 160+ hours in Witcher 3 and probably my all time favourite game. That is due to the story. Played W1 and W2 and with W3 the total character development and story lines for not only the main characters, but side stuff, it is unmatched. Production values in W3 outmatch most movies. Zelda will never match that, not made for it.

However, already now I enjoy exploring the world more in Zelda than in W3. For W3 I just opened the map and went to the ? / !. Exploration outside of those were seldom rewarded with much of anything. If the "oh I wonder if there is anything there, yes there was. What about? Yup something there too, but what about.. ohh things!" keeps up with Zelda, that game will scratch a completely different itch than W3 where my progress was more tied to progressing the story and finding all of it. Me getting all the ? was more tied to OCD wanting to clear the map.

Zelda gets an early Everquest vibe for me pre-maps. There is a map in Zelda, but I don't follow it currently. Just keep going with a sense of with a sense of wonder of what comes around the next corner. Rarely, if ever, was I just "running around" in W3.

Love this game and seriously considering taking some vacation time to dive into it.

Negatives so far
- Framerate. Wtf. In no way shape or form does it deserve a 100% score considering the frame drops looking like it does and only going at 30fps max. 95-98%, sure if it is as prefect in every other regards as reviews indicate. But not 100%.
- Dear god the controls. My muscle memory is destroying my button presses. I'd pay for a mod that enables a DS4 controller with a button remapping.
--- The WiiU controller has the "press here to activate the game on the WiiU controller only" sign that keeps flashing. Let it be a one time message or keep the image static. Don't make it blink.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I agree that the controls can be wonky. Like why is dash while swimming X but running is B? Keep the increased speed buttons the same! I also have never liked the layout of the Wii U controller. I think the GameCube layout is just too strongly ingrained into my brain. I treat B like A and Y like B. I even switched it up in my control preferences for Smash Bros.