The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Chris

Potato del Grande
Made good use of horse riding through ice zone with no ice gear and a 10 min elixir to its tower then birdman village. They have their uses!

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah controls are weird. I *still* don't have a firm grasp on combat because backflip/sidestep on Y seems really weird to me

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Cringing hard at The Witcher 3 comparisons.

You can't homogenize a console-only exclusive legacy title with the entire genre for review purposes. Comparing it to other titles in the legacy, or other CRPG's makes more sense.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
You can't homogenize a console-only exclusive legacy title with the entire genre for review purposes. Comparing it to other titles in the legacy, or other CRPG's makes more sense.

wat

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Cringing hard at The Witcher 3 comparisons.

Huh?

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I like playing on the wiiu tablet occasionally but god damn the colors on it are terrible. Makes the game look like shit.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Exploring in BoTW feels like there's something around every corner and there almost always is. I keep getting sidetracked and pulled away from whatever it is I'm trying to accomplish. Heading for a tower, oh what's that, a shrine? Let's head there, on way to shrine and see a chest in the bottom of the lake, oh let's check that out. A raft? Well there's gotta be some reason for it to be here, let's see what's on that island. And on and on and on until I'm not even close to the original tower and I see another tower that seems closer so I start heading toward that one and repeat ad nauseum. I fucking love that.

I was at a shrine overlooking the ocean and saw another shrine all by itself in the middle of the bay and decided I'd try to float on down: "A Major Test of Strength" Hmmmm. Murdered. Barely making a dent with my Guardian Sword. Maybe I'll come back, LOL! Felt the same way when I got to the "boss" with the shock arrows. Straight up murdered me. That Dark Souls sense of, I can't do this right now, but I'll be back motherfucker. Very cool.

The map is gigantic and everything is handcrafted. That's awesome. The EQ comparison is a good one, and while there is a map, it's only revealed in pieces and even then I don't use it that often as I just follow my sense of adventure and end up lost a la my first paragraph.

I had mostly been exploring randomly when I ran into a village and had my first "Zelda" moment:

Ended up in Zora Domain and was rewarded with the Zora armor, the one that let's you swim faster and ascend waterfalls. I immediately tried to think back to all of the waterfalls I had previously seen and couldn't wait to see what might be at the top of them. I want to finish the dungeon before I move on, which brings me to my second "Zelda" moment: Elephant Dungeon is bad ass. Just gaining entry into the dungeon was a puzzle, not a hard one, but still, it was fun and took me a second to think about. Now I've activated 2/5 terminals and really have no idea where to go next. I'm sure it wont take me long but I love that. Puzzles aren't hard but aren't SUPER obvious and take a second to think about. Took me back to LTTP Zelda days.

I have to say this is the perfect type of game for me. Great mechanics, great exploration, RPG Lite (I don't do well in heavy RPG worlds, I refuse to read a book in a game), great sense of scope. I remember playing the very first Zelda and thinking, "Is this game EVER going to end?" There was so much mystery and after finishing the very first dungeon I was hooked, "How many more dungeons could there possibly be?" "There's a NEWGAME+ (before that was even a thing?)" That's what this game feels like. I haven't had this feeling in a LONG time. I hope I'm not overhyping it, but just relax and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I made it out to the island off the coast of Hateno.... uh, that was hilarious.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Eventide Island? Took me a while but it's simple when you figure it out. I don't know if hilarious is a word I'd use though :p

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
games cool, graphics dont need to be on point with horizon we all know the graphics cant compete, but does anyone know of a PDF strat guide out there to download?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Did camel and bird last night, the dungeons are breathtakingly awesome with their "gimmick". Not ball crushing difficulty like OOT Water Temple but certainly the best Zelda has produced. I wish we had 8 but then again theres shrines.

Just Spider? left but I have no idea how to survive in lv2 fire resist required zones. Will either climb the cliffs from lost woods in and run with heart food, or explore the ice zones and hope there's some cooling armour there.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
Did camel and bird last night, the dungeons are breathtakingly awesome with their "gimmick". Not ball crushing difficulty like OOT Water Temple but certainly the best Zelda has produced. I wish we had 8 but then again theres shrines.

Just Spider? left but I have no idea how to survive in lv2 fire resist required zones. Will either climb the cliffs from lost woods in and run with heart food, or explore the ice zones and hope there's some cooling armour there.

On the mountain on the east side of Necluda, you can find cold insects for brewing heat elixirs, but they don't lay long as I used up two just doing the shrine on the south side in the lava pool. You can also do the shrine and quest at the top of the mountain while you are there.

Tip for mountain quest:
when you need to shoot the eyes off the dragon, look around for the gust of wind visual effect that points up and float up from there, then use bullet time bow in the air to hit the eye in slow motion. Dragon will move to a new spot and you will have to find the new updraft. This saves arrows and bows.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
games cool, graphics dont need to be on point with horizon we all know the graphics cant compete, but does anyone know of a PDF strat guide out there to download?
Manual and Guide Links
If you don't want to create an account there, the regular guide is on [bcolor=rgb(24, 24, 24)]MEGA[/bcolor] and the CE guide has not been posted yet. I have no idea what the difference between the two is.

Edit: There's also no map scan, which is all I was looking for when I went there.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Eventide Island? Took me a while but it's simple when you figure it out. I don't know if hilarious is a word I'd use though :p
yup. The event when you hit the island made me bust out laughing, for fucks sake. There's a way to cheat it and get your weapons if you want, as well.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Lots of amiibo exclusive gear, which is kinda bullshit. Any way to spoof them?

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>

Actually the video goes to show what you can do inside the world of Zelda compared to better graphics but less physics in Horizon. I think it definitely makes a valid point. Both games will be great though.

I am going to be sinking my teeth into this this weekend after I wrap up Horizon Zero Dawn. All I have done so far was see the old man, light up a tower, and now I need to find the three highlighted ruins. So I haven't even really begun yet lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Lots of amiibo exclusive gear, which is kinda bullshit. Any way to spoof them?

It's pretty much all cosmetic though.

The only real exclusive that's "better" than in game equivalent is Epona - you can get horses similar to her but she always has Gentle temperament.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
yup. The event when you hit the island made me bust out laughing, for fucks sake. There's a way to cheat it and get your weapons if you want, as well.
Yeah but if you do, you lose the weapons afterward. Lost a flame sword and a thunder greatsword doing that :/