The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Yep, downloading the update now.

To be continued...

Edit: Update installed, games running! Will give more impressions in a bit.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Well apparently it dips on both the U and Switch, it had to have been built with one of them in mind.

If I remember correctly, it wasn't. Originally it wasn't being developed for Switch at all. The port kind of happened pretty late in development. There's an interview somewhere I think that talks about it.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Stream of the Wii U version being played here, SPOILER WARNING obviously:

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Ok, extremely early impressions based on about 30 minutes of play.

Bad:
1) Aliasing everywhere, really bad, especially in the first area with so much grass.
2) On top of aliasing, the image is really soft, so you have the double whammy of a soft-blurry image that you'd get from post processing, but none of the benefits of anti-aliasing. It's not even close to the prettiest game I've ever seen on the Wii U.
3) Frame drops around any grass, when panning camera many times, or when fighting more than a couple of enemies.
4) I'm already over item durability. Limited weapon inventory space combined with weapons that break in a couple of fights isn't fun. I've also run into an area where it's too cold to enter and peppers I have to cook to keep my body temperature up, so this combined with other things I've read seems to point to this game having many, many gimmicks that may not be fun gameplay.

Good:
1) Huge open world, you can go anywhere, climb anything, it's pretty much choose your own adventure. Right out of the gate they kinda point you in a direction and that's it. I never even hit the first place I was supposed to go due to exploring.
2) Difficulty. I didn't even check if there is a difficulty slider, but I got one shot by some blue Bokoblin not far from where the game starts. It's not dark souls stuff, but it's already harder than any Zelda game I can remember in a while.
3) Little touches like walking around outside a building will cause enemies to hear you and patrol. If they see you they will call reinforcements. I even had one guy blow a horn to call in all this buddies. I took an exploding barrel and threw it near other barrels and made a giant explosion that blew a bunch of enemies up, it was pretty cool. Another time I was fighting enemies near trees and hit the tree and put chop marks in it, a couple more swings and I chopped down the tree. You can also climb trees to pick fruit, etc. It seems the world is really interactive overall.
4) The game is 100% playable on the Pro controller, the gamepad literally does nothing which is just fine with me.

Overall haven't really gotten a lot done, I've fought about a dozen creatures, found a few chests with some clothes in them and found a gated area I need warmer clothes or something to enter without freezing. It's been fun even with the frame drops and shitty graphics.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Ok, extremely early impressions based on about 30 minutes of play.

Bad:
1) Aliasing everywhere, really bad, especially in the first area with so much grass.
2) On top of aliasing, the image is really soft, so you have the double whammy of a soft-blurry image that you'd get from post processing, but none of the benefits of anti-aliasing. It's not even close to the prettiest game I've ever seen on the Wii U.
3) Frame drops around any grass, when panning camera many times, or when fighting more than a couple of enemies.
4) I'm already over item durability. Limited weapon inventory space combined with weapons that break in a couple of fights isn't fun. I've also run into an area where it's too cold to enter and peppers I have to cook to keep my body temperature up, so this combined with other things I've read seems to point to this game having many, many gimmicks that may not be fun gameplay.

Good:
1) Huge open world, you can go anywhere, climb anything, it's pretty much choose your own adventure. Right out of the gate they kinda point you in a direction and that's it. I never even hit the first place I was supposed to go due to exploring.
2) Difficulty. I didn't even check if there is a difficulty slider, but I got one shot by some blue Bokoblin not far from where the game starts. It's not dark souls stuff, but it's already harder than any Zelda game I can remember in a while.
3) Little touches like walking around outside a building will cause enemies to hear you and patrol. If they see you they will call reinforcements. I even had one guy blow a horn to call in all this buddies. I took an exploding barrel and threw it near other barrels and made a giant explosion that blew a bunch of enemies up, it was pretty cool. Another time I was fighting enemies near trees and hit the tree and put chop marks in it, a couple more swings and I chopped down the tree. You can also climb trees to pick fruit, etc. It seems the world is really interactive overall.
4) The game is 100% playable on the Pro controller, the gamepad literally does nothing which is just fine with me.

Overall haven't really gotten a lot done, I've fought about a dozen creatures, found a few chests with some clothes in them and found a gated area I need warmer clothes or something to enter without freezing. It's been fun even with the frame drops and shitty graphics.

I think you can get a tunic that will make it where you can walk around in the cold without eating stuff.

This is the Wii U version I assume? I hope there's a day 1 patch to make the Switch version a bit more stable.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I think you can get a tunic that will make it where you can walk around in the cold without eating stuff.

This is the Wii U version I assume? I hope there's a day 1 patch to make the Switch version a bit more stable.

Yeah, very early Wii U impressions. I've since hit the first couple of quests and opened some chests with better weapons. Weapons are still decaying way too fast IMO, metal swords still only last a few fights so far. Overall, though, I'm enjoying the experience. I've caught and cooked some fish, gotten a bow, cleared out my first mini-dungeon, and killed a few more things. It definitely feels like a Zelda so far.

cradeg

Molten Core Raider
for those who played it .. is it like Darksiders ? ... I liked that alot and hope for a similar approach in the Zelda

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I can't wait to play it on my switch friday morning. I read an interview where the game's creator said he took inspiration from the Farcry serie. I worked on FC2, 4 and Primal :). I had a huge FC2 vibe from how you can attack an outpost with fire and the fast weapon degradation. People claim it's also a hard game. I'm super hyped.

Eiji Aonuma Cites Skyrim, The Witcher 3, and Far Cry in Research for Breath of the Wild; Shows Admiration for The Last Guardian

It does feel like zelda mixed with shadow of the colossus, Farcry attack approach and skyrim vistas/scope.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Everything sounds great but you can take slow and/or fast weapon degrading and shove it up your ass. Stupid mechanic that, along with the person who suggested it, should have been aborted the first time it was ever included in a game design document.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I agree that too fast is kinda boring but it force you to improvise or you will really appreciate when you find the master sword.

Kinda like PC Dark Souls 2. I hated that it was degrading 2x faster at first but I ended up liking this since it forced me to be decent with a second or third weapon set.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yep, downloading the update now.

To be continued...

Edit: Update installed, games running! Will give more impressions in a bit.
You updated the Wii U firmware or downloaded an updated to game itself?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I agree that too fast is kinda boring but it force you to improvise or you will really appreciate when you find the master sword.

Kinda like PC Dark Souls 2. I hated that it was degrading 2x faster at first but I ended up liking this since it forced me to be decent with a second or third weapon set.

Thing is though, that was a bug because From Software decided it would be a good idea to base weapon degradation off frame rate. It was patched later (And earlier the community patched it as well long before) because none of the design was based around degradation being THAT fast.

Weapon degradation belongs in MMORPG's and should only to be used as a money sink to stall inflation in the economy. If Rafterman is having weapons break after 2-3 fights, that's flat out fucking retarded. Especially if it isn't compensated with more inventory space. With that said, I have always wanted to play a game where the atmosphere plays an effect on me. So I am still looking forward to see how that turns out because I have always been an advocate for it - as long as it isn't tedious.

Frame rate issues could be fixed with a day one patch. I do not think that actual patch is live yet is it? I could be wrong.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Personally I wouldn't even bother with the Wii U version. Pretty clear they don't give a shit about it and they are pushing the Switch very hard.

I will hold off on losing my mind over the durability until we hear from someone who has played through the game more to see if other items/skills/etc make things last longer or just how the durability factors into the overall picture of killing "stuff".

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Personally I wouldn't even bother with the Wii U version. Pretty clear they don't give a shit about it and they are pushing the Switch very hard.

Except the fact it was designed for the Wii U from the get go and the Switch version is a port.

#Fakenews.

Last edited:

Del

Vyemm Raider
The guy running the Zelda AMA thinks that the Wii U version runs well enough. This game looks too good for me to cancel my preorder over some performance issues. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls had performance issues, too, and they were probably my favorite PS3 games. Can't wait til it gets here on Friday.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Anyone playing the Wii U Version that applied the day 1 patch?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Wii U version is fine imo. Yeah, there's fps drops, but I can still shoot a goblin in the head with an arrow while he's running at me using the pro controller. Lack of AA is pretty glaring at times, but that's to be expected considering the hardware in the Wii U. Load times aren't bad at all when you fast travel or die.

Durability fucking sucks, and the Switch can't fix that.

Anyone playing the Wii U Version that applied the day 1 patch?
Everyone. You can't launch the game without the update.