The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
You updated the Wii U firmware or downloaded an updated to game itself?

Downloaded the game update.

I'm really enjoying the game for the most part and once you get away from the grassy areas the frame drops aren't nearly as bad. The game has a lot of really cool stuff going on and I've already had a half dozen "wow" moments.

The durability thing is just fucking garbage. I'm constantly breaking weapons. I fought some boss in the first area and went through three weapons. You can break 3-4 barrels and break a weapon. Even bows and shields break really fast. It's much faster breaking than the Dark Souls bug ever was. The constant pick up weapon, break it, pick up weapon, break it inventory management is a huge black eye in what is otherwise the best Zelda in a long time.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm guessing/hoping that some much more durable(or maybe even unbreakable) weapons become available later on.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I can deal with the random shit weapons breaking, but it's really aggravating when you break your axe or sledgehammer and then can't chop trees or whack rocks out of the way. Weapon inventory is pretty small at the start too; you've got slots reserved for at least axe, sledge, maybe the leaf thing for convenience, and personally I really like having a spear, plus you probably have 1-2 strong weapons you're saving for major fights and that leaves like 2 shit weapons that you're constantly replacing after every fight or two.

That said, I was only just nearing the end of the plateau when I had to call it a night, so hopefully things improve once you leave what is basically a tutorial zone.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I can deal with the random shit weapons breaking, but it's really aggravating when you break your axe or sledgehammer and then can't chop trees or whack rocks out of the way. Weapon inventory is pretty small at the start too; you've got slots reserved for at least axe, sledge, maybe the leaf thing for convenience, and personally I really like having a spear, plus you probably have 1-2 strong weapons you're saving for major fights and that leaves like 2 shit weapons that you're constantly replacing after every fight or two.

That said, I was only just nearing the end of the plateau when I had to call it a night, so hopefully things improve once you leave what is basically a tutorial zone.

Thanks for the impressions. I'm hoping that later in the game you will get weapons that will be harder to break, or can be repaired. I'd imagine the Master Sword will be a permanent weapon.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Indeed, thanks for the impressions. Sounds interesting, hopefully the durability thing is just a early problem only in the game. Because people HATE low durability stuff a lot, based on some games I remember that had it through the whole game. But like what is being said of how open it is so far.

Tired to talk to a friend about the durability stuff and he just responded with "so people trying to use weapons exclusively missing the point", "no that forces a little creativity", and other dumb shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Your friend sounds like a chode. It's clearly not a mechanic designed to force creativity because even with constantly using boulders, bombs, fire, water to kill things the wep durability thing is annoying. I could only imagine how shitty it would be if I used weapons exclusively.

It will probably get better, and peoples tolerance for this sort of thing will vary, but it's easily the worst part of the game for me. Other than that it's pretty damn good game so it's something I'll grumble about a bit and move on.

• 3Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Your friend sounds like a chode. It's clearly not a mechanic designed to force creativity because even with constantly using boulders, bombs, fire, water to kill things the wep durability thing is annoying. I could only imagine how shitty it would be if I used weapons exclusively.

It will probably get better, and peoples tolerance for this sort of thing will vary, but it's easily the worst part of the game for me. Other than that it's pretty damn good game so it's something I'll grumble about a bit and move on.

Ugh. I can't wait to get this game Thursday night and start playing it, but man, I fucking hate weapon durability in games. I mean, I don't mind it if it at least lasts through a dozen fights or so, or if you're fighting a super tough opponent and they have the ability to break one of your weapons while fighting them to add a degree of difficulty to the encounter, but having to replace a weapon every fight or two just sounds like more of a nuisance than anything, and hopefully it's not a problem as you progress further into the game and get better weapons.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
lol What's happening here? Is this intended or physics gone fucky?
It's working as intended, kind of. Force applied to objects in stasis (the metal plank) is stored until the stasis effect wears off. Not sure why it launched Link and the plank sideways instead of just shooting Link into the air though.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's working as intended, kind of. Force applied to objects in stasis (the metal plank) is stored until the stasis effect wears off. Not sure why it launched Link and the plank sideways instead of just shooting Link into the air though.

Because Nintendo engineers have never exited the HQ building, having been gestated in the basement next to the leftover Virtual Boy inventory and raised inside the compound into they could join the development team. As such they never experienced simple machines in the physical world like levers and pulleys, so they have given it their best guess.

• 2Salty
  • 1Like

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Just wanted to note real quick that someone on NeoGAF has said that you get weapons with better durability the further you get into the game.

I do wonder if that means you can get some of your better weapons repaired?

Del

Vyemm Raider
9.4 from German Gamepro. Second highest score given to a Zelda game by them.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Anyone seen anything about the WiiU version? I do not want to spent 300+70+70 to play a single game and I can live with 720p instead of 900p I think. I hope.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looks like the rock is actually dropped on the side of the plank so the physics engine shoots him sideways instead of into the air.

spronk

FPS noob

this is still based on stuff like E3 videos and stuff, switch zelda is out in the wild as is the euro wii u version so we should start seeing better comparison videos this weekend. Initial accounts seem to say the Wii U version is mostly just fine, with some FPS drops occasionally.

Here is a video of final Wii U version compared to switch, doing a side by side of both (first 7 mins of the game). Looks good to me, the switch version is sharper but otherwise looks nearly identical. The outdoor scene looks nearly identical with maybe slightly better draw distance on switch, the switch also has the higher quality JJ-Abrams style lighting model (lens flare for days!!) whereas switches seems to be a simpler lighting model, which I prefer anyways.

Shouldn't be a huge surprise, the wii u is actually slightly more powerful than the switch in portable mode, but the switch is nearly 2x the perf of wii u in docked mode.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This game makes me appreciate anti-aliasing. That's for sure.