The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Chris

Potato del Grande
I went ahead and beat it. I don't think this is a spoiler to say, but Hyrule Castle is SUPER disappointing after the shrines and divine beast dungeons. The ending cutscenes are ok. The boss battle was easier than I expected, imo a couple of the divine beast fights were actually harder than that. But I chalk that up to gear/experience with the mechanics. I just can't get over how disappointing it is to go from one of the divine beast dungeons, which i felt could have been better but were pretty decent dungeons, to Hyrule Castle.

I'm not sure how I feel about the game right now. Amazing, of course. But the dungeon thing does bother me more now. it's hard to be too shitty about that given the breadth of the open world content, but I did expect more from the dungeons. Definitely not going to 100% it, those korok seeds can get fucked.
Did you swim up the rear waterfall like I did and skip the whole thing? Apparently there's an inside route which is supposed to be good.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If you sneak through Hyrule Castle you're a pussy unworthy of being the Hero of Time.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I went in the front door. Maybe I'm the one who's wrong, but I felt that was disappointing. No real puzzles, no real anything other than a couple of (by this point quite easy ) "mini-boss" encounters and a bunch of guardians to smackdown. Nothing challenging or really interesting, just follow the path up to the big orange dot, fight an easy boss, receive cutscene.

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Haven't played this and I'm sure it's been discussed. I don't have the WiiU nor the Switch -- which one of these is better for this game?

The Switch version is better, not by much but the frame rate is more even compared to the Wii U (also handheld mode is even better at 720p).

I finally got like 6-7 hours into Zelda. First 1-2 hours I thought it was OK, but it really opens up. What an amazing game, I am totally hooked now.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I went in the front door. Maybe I'm the one who's wrong, but I felt that was disappointing. No real puzzles, no real anything other than a couple of (by this point quite easy ) "mini-boss" encounters and a bunch of guardians to smackdown. Nothing challenging or really interesting, just follow the path up to the big orange dot, fight an easy boss, receive cutscene.
There's a route inside that starts at a cave near the bottom with minecarts, I think that's the actual dungeon. Not tried it yet. You can see the route on the map though.

Siliconemelons

There's a route inside that starts at a cave near the bottom with minecarts, I think that's the actual dungeon. Not tried it yet. You can see the route on the map though.

Its really cool finding that entrance - but it quickly takes you inside where you can progress forward and either go outside or stay inside etc. I still haven't found the stupid shield... There is a great memory in the castle and a book to read that really adds a lot to the story. I have 3 i think now? picture memories to track down or 4... its been fun trying to find them without a guide... the random forest picture is going to be harsh :p

Maybe I am not a good zelda-er but I liked that hyrule castle didn't have any real "puzzles" other than what it is, in and of itself. The music is awesome - and I am in the camp that you should do the castle at least once or twice - once mostly outside following the path and once inside - less skipping and waterfall climbing the better...but if you wanna skip it all, its fairly easy lol - the Lynel in gatehouse 2 is a rapesauce one that will go through and entire mastersword charge and 2-3 more high end weapons...that fucker.

The inside castle does feel more "dungeon-y" than outside.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I found the forest picture (and a few others) by talking to the painter NPC at a stable, you may need to do his quest in kakariko first.

If you follow the story you can logic out a few too from where they need to go next.

Siliconemelons

I found the forest picture (and a few others) by talking to the painter NPC at a stable, you may need to do his quest in kakariko first.

If you follow the story you can logic out a few too from where they need to go next.

Yeah I ran into that guy he gave me a hint for zelda's study and one I already had- is he always at a stable? I should look for him some more - I think one is a spring of XYZ (I think courage, I assume fire dragon is power- haven't found that one yet)- I know its not the one at the top of the mountain in the snow- I think its the lightning one, I ran into it earlier and didn't have the dragons scale- now I cant find it...but I did find a shrine quest where I had to kill 3 hynox brothers - that was fun

I think I have the - what I think is the spring of courage, the random forest one and the horse statue plaza...you would think that I would have come across that memorable of landmark but nope - no idea - I bet its painfully obvious once I find it lol.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Maybe I just got lucky, but I was able to find almost all of them organically. I had to look up #12, it's just a random picture of trees, no identifying markers that I could see.

Siliconemelons

Maybe I just got lucky, but I was able to find almost all of them organically. I had to look up #12, it's just a random picture of trees, no identifying markers that I could see.

I knew where a bunch were - I did not do the Hateno Village quest for a long time, I didnt even have the quest or camera icon until after I opened every tower and got the master sword lol - I wondered off path once I met Impa and just did whatever I wanted haha. So if I would have had the memories while doing all that I would have hit all but maybe the castle one and the ones that I do not have, that include the random trees ;-)

Lenas

Trump's Staff
There's a guy at stables you can talk to and he'll point you to the nearest memory location.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I only have the fire/hot area left. But I keep burning up. Is there an easy way to get some fire resist clothes?

Probably late here, but there is a dude in the Southern Goron Mines who will give you the chest piece for 10 Fireproof Lizards.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Just sneak up on them, man. That said, I usually get too close before I even notice they are there!

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
The lizards spawn like crazy in the southern mine camp, the hard ones are the moths that look like the environmental ash effect even if you are using the sheikah sensor+ to track them and using two pieces of stealth gear.

I found all but the forest memory whilst exploring, and then broke down and looked it up, and the same with the last 20 ish shrines. The open exploration bit of the game was way more fun than the castle, as others have mentioned. Although having maxed armour, 27 hearts, 3 stamina bars, 200+ ancient arrows, Lynell weapons, and the shield made everything but the gatehouse lynel trivial, which is to be expected.

Korok seed discovery is beyond my desire to go hunting for, but I did play after the castle to finish some side quests, including the nice white horse.

I am curious to see how the expansion's go. Fingers crossed that they go big like Witcher 3, which had better expansions than most core games.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
screw lizards, I have caught like 3...total...hate those things..same with dragonflys.

Crouch and walk up to them. Alternatively pick up rocks they hide under pretty much every one in that south mine.

Korok seed discovery is beyond my desire to go hunting for, but I did play after the castle to finish some side quests, including the nice white horse

Annoyingly I didn't even know what the Korok Seeds were for until I was at the castle, never naturally ran into the fat guy and apparently already had the shakers.

Ganon was pathetic, the only difficult part was not having shields for phase 2....

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Picking up critters is pretty easy with the stealth armor from the village where you meet Impa. 3 stealth food also gets the job done, but the set bonus for the sheikah armor is fast night time movement (feels like +2 or 3 speed and stacks with speed effects).

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
17620487_10154206750727294_7724775215247533933_o.jpg

Took a while to find them all, and finding some were like some shit you'd see in Indiana Jones. Don't think I'll be getting the seeds. MAYBE the compendium, but the seeds are just way to autism for me.

Siliconemelons

hit 80 Shrines, 81 because I just decided to explore the ancient temple - as I was looking for the Spring of Power -- watched the memories in order to see if they give hints - the one before it is the castle/zeldas tower memory, then the one after it is the horse memory were she is going to go to the last spring - wisdom...so the memories do not give any indication really of where power (or courage) is.. but they are generally around where the dragons can spawn- I found the fire one again wondering the cavern between areas - got a scale and claw - still searching for the spring lol- even scouring the map and checking out any neat little water formation only has resulted me in fucking korok seeds - fuck those things... anyone else love picking up a rock, getting a seed then DROPPING THE ROCK ON ITS FUCKING HEAD! "Outch!"

Most dumbfuckery korok seed was one frozen in a HHHHUUUUUGGGGEEEEE ice block - took like 10min to melt, I just used my fire sword and stood next to it, but still...

Most dumbfuckery shrine? This one up on a frozen mount near gurudo land and up on the mount that cradles that southern maze - you read some journal about the cold shadow on the spire or someshit...

you have to make a snowball JJUUUSSSTTT big enough to hold still - then make an rune ice pillar in the furthest little pond - with your snowball on top, climb up, pick the snowball up and then wait for your stupid snowball shadow to pass the rune/ancient circle thing on the side of the mountain.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Do you eventually get an ability to find missing shrines or do you have to organically find them all?