The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
hows your kid doing with combat? i dunno why but i struggle real hard with the simple mechanics. I know logically I should be blocking and then backflip or parry to slow time and attack, but i always fuck up.

since you can spend so much time just avoiding combat when you are forced to do it, it always fucks me up since i forgot even the basic moves. i need like a practice training room or something to practice my combat moves

When he is in combat he gets tense and just whacks at stuff 'til it dies. It has worked so far as he is still on the tutorial plateau. I have shown him some moves tonight though, I hope he picks them up.

Eventually you get to fighting the centaur things though and then you'll have no choice but to get gud.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Played for about 4 hours. Got to the first boss I guess, inside the elephant. Whooped my ass and my dumb 4 hearts so I decided to explore instead and farm some shrines. I now understand the beauty of this game. Assume for that boss I just need some good food and to git gud, because at 4 hearts he was just one shitting me.

I'll go back later and see how he is now

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
There are so many brilliant aspects to the weapon durability system. This guy sums it up really well:

tl;dw: you're incentivized to engage in combat and pay close attention to how your opponents are armed because they're VISIBLY holding/using what you're seeking; the system makes character progression and difficulty organically fluid (as opposed to systems in most modern open world RPGs where the world scales with your strength).

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Played for about 4 hours. Got to the first boss I guess, inside the elephant. Whooped my ass and my dumb 4 hearts so I decided to explore instead and farm some shrines. I now understand the beauty of this game. Assume for that boss I just need some good food and to git gud, because at 4 hearts he was just one shitting me.

I'll go back later and see how he is now

The trick to those bosses, is usually the arrows you need to get into them. Lightning for the elephant really fucks up the boss.

Edit: Also, you can craft food that gives bonus hearts, +20 is really easy to make, just combine all your "Hearty" stuff in a pot.

spronk

FPS noob
new glitch lets you get the master sword with just 3 hearts, i finished the game last year but did do another glitch to get the MS halfway through since its the only weapon that doesn't suffer weapon damage (it cant be infinitely used though, it hibernates or some shit after some usage)

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
new glitch lets you get the master sword with just 3 hearts, i finished the game last year but did do another glitch to get the MS halfway through since its the only weapon that doesn't suffer weapon damage (it cant be infinitely used though, it hibernates or some shit after some usage)

Oh neat I might actually try again playing and finishing this

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
This bump reminded me I hadn't heard anything about BotW2 in a long time. Turns out they released a teaser a couple weeks ago:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

My son just started a new play through, I’m going to do this to blow his mind

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just did the master sword glitch. He’s only at six hearts. He loved it. “Are you kidding me! Do you know how awesome this is?!”

Good stuff

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So there are only 3 Zelda games left that I haven't played: This, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword. I might try to do all of them before BOTW2 comes out. Spirit Tracks is the shortest and I'm on a trip so I might actually dust off the 3DS this week and take some more whacks at that one. In the past, every time I tried to get into it I lost interest. Same thing happened with Phantom Hourglass, though, and at some point that game grabbed me, so I hope Spirit Tracks does the same thing.

Would that Master Sword glitch ruin a first playthrough of BOTW? Because BOTW, like Spirit Tracks, isn't really holding my interest and I think it's mainly because of weapons breaking. Also running around swinging sticks and clubs doesn't feel very Zelda-like.

Got no issues with Skyward Sword at least, and there's an HD version now so it's a prime time to get on it. Let's see if I can get through Spirit Tracks first though.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Personally think it would take away from a first playthrough to glitch/skip.

I hated the weapon durability thing at first but you can farm some good stuff early from killing or just stealing from Hinox mobs (knight and royal weapons) so you can stock up and forget about it and cooking can max out temp hearts really easily so you can be pretty beastly with little effort. Not to mention there are like infinite ways to kill stuff open world =O

Chris

Potato del Grande
So there are only 3 Zelda games left that I haven't played: This, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword. I might try to do all of them before BOTW2 comes out. Spirit Tracks is the shortest and I'm on a trip so I might actually dust off the 3DS this week and take some more whacks at that one. In the past, every time I tried to get into it I lost interest. Same thing happened with Phantom Hourglass, though, and at some point that game grabbed me, so I hope Spirit Tracks does the same thing.

Would that Master Sword glitch ruin a first playthrough of BOTW? Because BOTW, like Spirit Tracks, isn't really holding my interest and I think it's mainly because of weapons breaking. Also running around swinging sticks and clubs doesn't feel very Zelda-like.

Got no issues with Skyward Sword at least, and there's an HD version now so it's a prime time to get on it. Let's see if I can get through Spirit Tracks first though.
Skyward Sword is the worst Zelda game.

Fi: Did you know that Skyward Sword is the worst Zelda game?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I don’t think the MS glitch would really “ruin” it but it would kind of mess up your goals and world exploring in the beginning maybe.

If you are playing the game blind, you naturally fall into “oh I need to climb towers to see shit, oh I need to find shrines to warp around and get higher health and stamina.” And that’s just how you play for a long time, wandering around discovering stuff. You have no idea where the MS is or what the requirements are. By the time we found it on our first play through we were already really close to the requirements so we were excited we had a new goal and went out and did it.

I do not like the weapon break mechanic as I think it’s way too fast, but it’s really only annoying in the very beginning when you’re using sticks and shit. Get some sledgehammers from stables and they last quite a while. We did the MS glitch on my sons third plathrough and it blew his mind. I found he still didn’t use it much stone the beginning because he was always finding better stuff anyways. The MS is only a 30 damage and it still “breaks” by running out of energy, then you have to wait ten minutes for it to recharge.

TLDR: Just play it blind, the discovery is the main draw of that game, MS glitch would change the draw of the game at the beginning and isn’t a big enough deal you need to worry about getting it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
BOTW is the only zelda game I completed and really played for more than 1 hour and its sorta ruined other zelda games for me. I tried playing Skyward Sword HD, put in a good 10-15 hours and just got super angry and frustrated with the shit combat system (playing on a pro controller) and gave the game away to a relative. Every other zelda game kinda feels like ass after BOTW.

i think the only one though not remastered to switch (from wii u) is the island one, windwaker HD. Hopefully that gets ported some day, pretty weird they didn't do it for 35th anniversary.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I got my son Skyward Sword and he barely played it. Ended up going back to botw. He’s been hooked on Mario games for the past month since I picked up bowsers fury, 3D world, and Odyssey. Said he though skyward sword was too “weird.”

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Yeah I got my son Skyward Sword and he barely played it. Ended up going back to botw. He’s been hooked on Mario games for the past month since I picked up bowsers fury, 3D world, and Odyssey. Said he though skyward sword was too “weird.”

Gotta love kids. I haven't played Skyward Sword since its original release on Wii but I remember the early game is indeed a little odd, you spend some time in your sky village meeting people and doing some random tasks until the game really kicks into gear, similar to the farm early in Twilight Princess.

I've played every Zelda game and Skyward Sword isn't one I'd rank near the top of the pile but it's still a solid game and it has some unique mechanics that make it worthy of a playthrough, your son should give it another chance some time.

Sometimes you try a game and it's not exactly what you expected so you kind of don't like it, but then you pick it up again and realize you almost missed a gem. I had this exact experience on FarCry 5 myself.

spronk

FPS noob
the problem with skyward sword is not the story or characters, i got far past the starting village and had cleared 2 or 3 dungeons already. The controls and combat is UTTER SHIT, its all based on dumb ass motion controls and they did a miserable job translating it into non motion controls. You have to use the right stick as if you are swinging a sword and its goofy as fuck and not fun.

it was probably kinda neat on a wii as a first time thing (wasn't twilight princess like that too?), but after years of regular combat action games its really weird going back to this sort of experimental phase control

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I fucking hated the controls. I played it for like ten minutes and gave it back to him. He didn’t seem to have a problem with that, not sure what turned him off on it. I’m guessing he’ll go back to it eventually.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll jump on the controls suck bandwagon, there have been battles where I couldn't beat it while using a controller and then after so many tries I used the motion controls and it was easy forst try, then other times where It wouldn't recognize I was holding my arm up no matter what so I had to switch. Really annoying