The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

spronk

FPS noob
So I finally said I'm gonna try to finish BOTW this year, i've always dropped off the game in the first few hours since the game released, just something didn't click with me in the first zone. I put in a few hours, made it past the starting area (plateau) and suddenly find myself really enjoying the game. I "get" it now and all the GOTY awards and stuff of 2017, I feel kinda dumb for sleeping on the game. Only still ~12 hours in but I'm gonna finish off the main story and as much of the side ones as I want. The overworld is absolutely insane, its crazy how much detail and "stuff to do" there is.

Just for posterity here are (at least) two glitches for the game, I didn't go nuts with them just gave myself a little extra stamina and inventory space so I'm not constantly fighting the mechanics, the game devs have said no more patches are happening on switch so both should be safe. I love trying out weird exploits in games so these were cool and fun to do

max hearts or stamina (super easy), also lets you build up some rupees if you need

unlimited korok seeds glitch (a big more tricky but very cool)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm a few hours in (first boss thing, elephant in the water dungeon) and the game is not really grabbing me. I hate the weapon mechanic most of all. I just.. don't know why they would make that system in a zelda game. I expected to have a sword and shield and just hit shit. Now weapons break constantly.

It gets better, I hear. But I find myself bored after an hour of playing.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
The weapon mechanics were the worst thing about BoTW (that and no real dungeons). They should have put an option to turn off weapon decay as a dlc. I would have bought it. I always found myself afraid to use anything strong or cool because it would slowly wear down and break. Took away a lot of the fun of finding new weapons to use.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
So I finally said I'm gonna try to finish BOTW this year, i've always dropped off the game in the first few hours since the game released, just something didn't click with me in the first zone. I put in a few hours, made it past the starting area (plateau) and suddenly find myself really enjoying the game. I "get" it now and all the GOTY awards and stuff of 2017, I feel kinda dumb for sleeping on the game. Only still ~12 hours in but I'm gonna finish off the main story and as much of the side ones as I want. The overworld is absolutely insane, its crazy how much detail and "stuff to do" there is.

Just for posterity here are (at least) two glitches for the game, I didn't go nuts with them just gave myself a little extra stamina and inventory space so I'm not constantly fighting the mechanics, the game devs have said no more patches are happening on switch so both should be safe. I love trying out weird exploits in games so these were cool and fun to do

max hearts or stamina (super easy), also lets you build up some rupees if you need

unlimited korok seeds glitch (a big more tricky but very cool)

I was the exact same way at first. I bought the game, fucked around with it for an hour or two a day, never really got even past the plateau. Then, on the way back from NCAA's on the return flight, I finally starting progressing in the game, and I was hooked. Easily had over 80 hours into the game. I agree about the weapon decay being annoying as fuck, but you wind up getting better weapons that last longer later on in the game. Still the best video game I've ever played. There is just no other game that gives you the freedom that this game did. Damn, it's been 3 years already since I played it? I may have to play through it again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
The best thing this game did is show that if you create an open world rpg it’s fucking stupid if I can’t climb everything.

That being said: fuck rain.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'll have to give it another try, I only played for a few hours before I moved on to something else. I hated the weapon decay and found the controls to be pretty awkward.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My favorite moment playing this game was when I somehow lost the electric orb in the camel dungeon. I thought I was fucked in finishing the dungeon but I shit out all the metal stuff in my inventory and it conducted electricity to the other thing I needed to solve the puzzle.

Truly a holy shit moment for me in the game. The overall engine for it is just amazing and I hope the BOTW sequel pushes it even further.

• 2Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Couldn't make it past 2-3 hours in either - just wasn't interested in busted weapons and the no dungeons think kinda sunk it for me as well

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
In the middle of my second playthrough and I'm enjoying it more than the first.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The best thing this game did is show that if create an open world rpg it’s fucking stupid if I can’t climb everything.

That being said: fuck rain.

This pissed me off to no end. Especially when you have to light torches in the rain, rain extinguishes your torch, and you just need to wait for the weather to clear.

I do not mind weather mechanics, in fact, I love them - but there needs to be a counter balance quality of life item to be found to bypass. They did it for clothes/armor to survive in extreme hot or cold, they needed an equipment item to climb in the rain.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It didn't bother you that having a metal sword equipped during rain got you killed by lightning?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It didn't bother you that having a metal sword equipped during rain got you killed by lightning?
Nah, just equip something different.

And weapon decay sucks but it’s just not nearly as big of a deal as you guys make it out to be. It’s almost 100% psychological, you get new weapons faster than you break them. Would be nice if there was a mechanic in the game to upgrade weapon durability somehow though. Like collectibles that upgrade the durability of all swords by 25% each for example.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
And weapon decay sucks but it’s just not nearly as big of a deal as you guys make it out to be. It’s almost 100% psychological, you get new weapons faster than you break them.

In that case it's a mechanic that serves no purpose other than to annoy players. It was very tedious when I tried it to have to swap weapons every 10 or so mobs.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
The weapon decay sucked, the graphics sucked, the performance sucked, the narrative was thoroughly average and it had no traditional zelda dubgeons. It's a big flabby mess of a game. It'a also one of the top 5 ever made imo. I encourage everybody who dismissed it outright because peremptory lolswitch kneejerks or within the first hour or two due to frustration with mechanics to give it another go. I had more fun exploring and playing with mechanics than virtually any other game ever. For open worlders, there's this and Witcher 3, then everything else. Imo.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
Its contrary to the way most people play RPGs but you really just gotta burn through weapons and not give any fucks, every enemy drops a weapon so its really not a problem not having one, and it sucks losing weapons you like but thats just the way you gotta play the game. There are exploits to get the Master Sword extremely early in the game and I guess that has no durability loss.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Weapon durability didn't bother me TOO badly until I got the master sword. It's the fucking legendary sword of evil's bane that's been around forever and has kicked Ganon's ass countless times and suddenly I swing it five times and it needs to recharge for 10 minutes. Dumbest shit ever.

They could have kept all the different weapons you could use and kept the durability for them and made them interesting and fun, but given the player a sort of baseline weapon that didn't break. Start the game off the same way having to scavenge what tools you can, but after the first dungeon (HAH) you received a... I dunno.. Iron longsword or fuck a sleeping master sword that's somewhat weak compared to some fancy shit you can pick up but doesn't break with use. Then play the game naturally until you upgrade or awaken the master sword and bam, kick ass sword like always that doesn't break. Recharge my ass.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
My favorite moment playing this game was when I somehow lost the electric orb in the camel dungeon. I thought I was fucked in finishing the dungeon but I shit out all the metal stuff in my inventory and it conducted electricity to the other thing I needed to solve the puzzle.

Truly a holy shit moment for me in the game. The overall engine for it is just amazing and I hope the BOTW sequel pushes it even further.

My "holy shit" moment was when I saw the shooting star in the night sky, and then the one mountain with the fountain on the top of it was all lit up and I ventured up there to see what was up. I didn't even know it at the time, but that shooting star triggers the best horse in the game. I tried a few times to tame that fucking thing, but it kept on throwing me off. I didn't have my stamina up high enough to even tame it (I read about it online). It took a god damn MONTH before I saw that shooting star again and was able to get that horse. One of the greatest achievements I've had in gaming history.

For those of you who dismissed this game when it first came out, or gave up on it, I implore you to give it another shot. I promise you won't be disappointed.

• 2Like

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
For what it's worth when I got to the end in my game I was equipped like an attack helicopter. I really should have used that shit.

My 7yo son just started playing this on Tuesday. I think it's a really great game for him, he has to use creativity with the powers in the overworld and in solving the shrine puzzles. This game was worth the price of the switch for me.

spronk

FPS noob
hows your kid doing with combat? i dunno why but i struggle real hard with the simple mechanics. I know logically I should be blocking and then backflip or parry to slow time and attack, but i always fuck up.

since you can spend so much time just avoiding combat when you are forced to do it, it always fucks me up since i forgot even the basic moves. i need like a practice training room or something to practice my combat moves