The LEGO thread - or how to step on bricks in the dark

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I think theres something to be said for spending a lot of money on mass produced nonfunctional pieces of plastic.
This was another quote from the thread that kinda spawned this one and found it interesting. There is indeed a lot to be said about the subject actually and the 'something' is deeper than I initially thought the more I think of it.

Whether it's for decor / aesthetics, for finding your "inner kid" as a middle aged guy, to pass the time in a creative way, Legos are extremely universal in their application.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I know one guy personally who uses it as a sort of "therapy" and "self care" as he describes it to combat depression. It's been years since I physically hung out with him and we're now political enemies as he is ultra leftwing and we argue on Facebook a lot (which may explain why he considers lego therapy... snowflake jokes are built in here)but I think he uses sets to decompress from his adult life and feel like a kid so it comforts him heh.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
When I was a kid I got lucky enough to convince my parents to get me one of the sets that let you build a car, so it had gears and rods and pistons and shit. This is that set:
$_58[1].JPG

It is a little hard to see the parts I'm talking about, but after building the car once my best friend and I proceeded to build tons of various fortifications and lined it with army men, then blew it apart with our lego ballistas. You'd take one of those long red pieces with the holes in it and wrap several rubber bands around it (covering the holes). Then you'd take the long black rod, like the one at the steering wheel, and put a piston piece on it to give it almost like a fist on the end. Push the rod into the piece with the rubber bands (only the back side rubber bands engaging though, the hole is too small to utilize the front bands) and then let go, and you could put a motherfucker's eye out. I know, because I almost did, and got in big trouble for it. However, when aimed correctly at the lego castles instead of my friend's eyeball, it would blast that shit apart after repeated shellings. Good times.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I think I actually had that set too. I remember the seats. I do love what they can do with the modern technic sets with all the gears and shit.

Brad2770

I have talked about this before, but I’ll mention it again since it would go well in this thread:

When I was 12, a friend of mine had a whole bunch of Legos. He had several of the Pirate and castle sets completed, but a bunch of misc. sets that he turned into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

He took some of the Robinhood figures and painted the heads green and painted shells on their backs. He took two spears and cut the spear off of one for the bo staff and the made the other one into a bo staff, then cut it in half and then filed the center sections down skinny and painted them silver to be the nunchucks. He cut the hand guards off of two Pirate cutlass’ to be the katana and took two of the medieval swords and cut it down to have a point and shortened the cut off pieces and glued them to the side to be the Sai.

He made the Turtle’s sewer base and the Turtke Van. He made Krang’s body and made Krang out of play dough. Kranks body’s arms could make a windmill motion, but that was it. The legs and everything else was stationary. He made Shredder, like four foot soldiers, Casey Jones, April and Splinter (though splinter didn’t have a snout. Just a brown painted head and hands and feet).
He also made the turtle blimp and used a Green Party balloon with a shell design drawn on with a sharpie.

Seriously the most fun Lego “set” I ever played with.

• 2Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
When I was a kid I got lucky enough to convince my parents to get me one of the sets that let you build a car, so it had gears and rods and pistons and shit. This is that set:
View attachment 399641

It is a little hard to see the parts I'm talking about, but after building the car once my best friend and I proceeded to build tons of various fortifications and lined it with army men, then blew it apart with our lego ballistas. You'd take one of those long red pieces with the holes in it and wrap several rubber bands around it (covering the holes). Then you'd take the long black rod, like the one at the steering wheel, and put a piston piece on it to give it almost like a fist on the end. Push the rod into the piece with the rubber bands (only the back side rubber bands engaging though, the hole is too small to utilize the front bands) and then let go, and you could put a motherfucker's eye out. I know, because I almost did, and got in big trouble for it. However, when aimed correctly at the lego castles instead of my friend's eyeball, it would blast that shit apart after repeated shellings. Good times.
I had that one and the go-kart. I loved those.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I had Lego’s as a kid but really loved Construx. You could make so much big shit with them. I remember making like fist wrap type things that were big enough I could use them as actual pretend weapons. Big space ships and shit. I like doing legos with my son but wish I still had these, I got a lot more creative with them I think.

1645667192832.jpeg

1645667266818.jpeg

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I had Lego’s as a kid but really loved Construx. You could make so much big shit with them. I remember making like fist wrap type things that were big enough I could use them as actual pretend weapons. Big space ships and shit. I like doing legos with my son but wish I still had these, I got a lot more creative with them I think.

View attachment 399870
View attachment 399872

I love Legos and a have a few big sets on display but you just really turned on the 'member berries.

My grandma had these at her house (not this exact set) but enough that we were able to reverse engineer that giant robot. good times

1645673156266.png

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Oh man. Over the summer i was helping my mom dig out our old toys for my nephew and we came across a bin of constructs. I was excited to find them as they are right up my nephew's alley, but those damn rubber tires had melted everywhere covering most of the pieces. Was a complete mess and loss :emoji_rage:

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
But why? Why would you climb inside it?
Getting pics for Instagram like a couple of old chuds. I time-stamped the vid, but before that another (skinnier) guy got in and got pics.

Here's some of the best sets imo from my childhood by theme:

Castle

6080-1.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

lego-king-s-carriage-set-6044-4.jpg

Pirate

6276-1.jpg

6285-1.jpg

lego-forbidden-island-set-6270-4.jpg

Space

6971_Intergalactic_Command_Base.jpg

6985-1.jpg

lego-robot-command-center-set-6951-4.jpg

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
20220216_084909.jpg

My own Spidey diorama made from 2 of these sets sandwiched together. The last thing I'd do with it is buy an Electro that was the old-school star-faced green & yellow comic version... I *could* buy a Chinese knock-off version of that character from Ebay, but Chinese knock-offs are gimpy. Other than that, this is "complete" to me.

The fishing-line looks better IRL... less noticeable versus flash photo revealing it. All of Spidey's best rivals!
  • Spidey
  • Venom
  • Carnage
  • Hobgoblin
  • Green Goblin
  • Doc Ock
  • Scorpion
  • Sandman
  • Vulture
  • Electro
  • Mysterio
  • Kraven The Hunter
...and Loki just chillin (why Loki? I can relate to him, and love his character ^_^ )

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Lastly, this utter beauty:

61JXWLdxwdL._AC_SL1064_.jpg

LEGO-for-Adults-10294-Titanic-first-look-featured.jpg

titanic-lego.jpg

45d61b30ef5b2d093e3be77dfc2527ecf12a5785r1-2048-1536v2_hq.jpg

titanic guts.jpg

The supremacy of the Titanic being the best set ever makes me wonder... how long will it hold this position?

On one hand, I realize Lego takes no time at all to outdo itself; The Taj Mahal sat as king since 2008 for a whopping 9 years until it was dethroned by the UCS Millennium Falcon in 2017, until THAT was dethroned 3 years later in 2020 by the Colosseum, which only sat for 1 year until Titanic came out in late 2021. By that, Titanic will be 2nd place later this year LoL.

But I don't think that's likely. I just can't see any IP like Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter, Ninjago etc having a set larger than Titanic in the near future. Star Wars has already released 3 death stars, 5 Millennium Falcons, a couple Star Destroyers... there's just been a lot... from all IPs.

I know someday a $1k set will be released... but when, and what of?

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users