The Lord of the Rings

Chris

Potato del Grande
I am one of those who firmly believe this is going to be a total raping of Tolkien's works. The showrunners have no experience and are associated with Bad Robot (they were going to do the Star Trek 4 movie). If rumors/leaks are to be believed, they fired the writers when Christopher Tolkien died and brought in new ones. Since he was the one zealously protecting his father's legacy, there is no one left to ensure Amazon treats Tolkien with respect. They have brought in a nudity/intimacy coordinator so they are going to GoT the series. HBO-type nudity and sex in a Tolkien work. It's a disgusting perversion of the source material and an insult to the memory of a deeply religious man. That type of thing has a time and a place but it is not in a work with Tolkien's name attached to it.

Since his world is based on the mythology of the British Isles, and we all know how anything with even a hint of white, European origins is now problematic, we will get all kinds of "subverting expectations." Sauron will be a toxic white male. There will be tons of gender swapping. There will be a female lead (probably a person of color who is a lesbian since the current fad seems to portray all black women as lesbians). She won't be kick ass because of the strength of her character, but because all the men around her will be dumb, ineffectual and weak. The religious and moral undertones that Tolkien weaved through his world will now be something like: the elves are colonizers of Middle Earth; Gollum's fall to the Ring will be some kind of (and blatantly obvious) allegory for capitalism; orcs will now be all white and also an in your face symbols of Caucasian, Judeo-Christian, European culture that invades the noble, peaceful and perfect indigenous peoples; and so on and so on.

I am deeply tired of Hollywood, and all of the entertainment industry, being so creatively bankrupt that they cannot create anything new. Instead, they take classic works and IPs and "update" them with modern, culture war propaganda, completely erasing the original themes and morals lessons. Twenty, heck even ten years ago, I would have been excited to see SF/Fantasy novels adapted for a movie or series due to the great advances in special and digital effects. These days, any time I see some classic work adapted or rebooted by Hollywood, I know it's most likely going to be utter garbage and feel nothing but apathy.

Half Shaved Afro'ed Queen of Numenor?

shaved-hairstyles-for-black-women-ig-misskenk.jpg

• 2WTF
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Clown World
Reactions: 4 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
Well not quite, but fresh word from production set is they are basing the LOTR universe on planet Earth, rather than Middle Earth.

It's going to be more like modern Earth in terms of set pieces and atmosphere. They're cutting the high fantasy aspects down. How much? I can't say right now. But it's confirmed there is a reduction taking place.

As far as unsubstantiated rumors go, this one is really kind of content free.

What does that quote even *mean* ?

On a scale of 'Fuck it, we're filming in Manhattan, noone will notice' through to 'YOU CAN'T FILM HERE ! THOSE ARE REDWOODS THERE ARE NO REDWOODS IN MIDDLE EARTH ! REEEEEE!', what do you think that means ? ;p

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I am one of those who firmly believe this is going to be a total raping of Tolkien's works. The showrunners have no experience and are associated with Bad Robot (they were going to do the Star Trek 4 movie). If rumors/leaks are to be believed, they fired the writers when Christopher Tolkien died and brought in new ones. Since he was the one zealously protecting his father's legacy, there is no one left to ensure Amazon treats Tolkien with respect. They have brought in a nudity/intimacy coordinator so they are going to GoT the series. HBO-type nudity and sex in a Tolkien work. It's a disgusting perversion of the source material and an insult to the memory of a deeply religious man. That type of thing has a time and a place but it is not in a work with Tolkien's name attached to it.

Since his world is based on the mythology of the British Isles, and we all know how anything with even a hint of white, European origins is now problematic, we will get all kinds of "subverting expectations." Sauron will be a toxic white male. There will be tons of gender swapping. There will be a female lead (probably a person of color who is a lesbian since the current fad seems to portray all black women as lesbians). She won't be kick ass because of the strength of her character, but because all the men around her will be dumb, ineffectual and weak. The religious and moral undertones that Tolkien weaved through his world will now be something like: the elves are colonizers of Middle Earth; Gollum's fall to the Ring will be some kind of (and blatantly obvious) allegory for capitalism; orcs will now be all white and also an in your face symbols of Caucasian, Judeo-Christian, European culture that invades the noble, peaceful and perfect indigenous peoples; and so on and so on.

I am deeply tired of Hollywood, and all of the entertainment industry, being so creatively bankrupt that they cannot create anything new. Instead, they take classic works and IPs and "update" them with modern, culture war propaganda, completely erasing the original themes and morals lessons. Twenty, heck even ten years ago, I would have been excited to see SF/Fantasy novels adapted for a movie or series due to the great advances in special and digital effects. These days, any time I see some classic work adapted or rebooted by Hollywood, I know it's most likely going to be utter garbage and feel nothing but apathy.
WebbedSilentHylaeosaurus-size_restricted.gif

A few critics are already convinced this is going to be a pretty disrespectful effort by Amazon though.
Lets face it, what IP hasnt seen at a minimum gender/race swapping sullying it? Jackson's LoTR trilogy is the last movies or tv shows you will ever see made that stay pretty damn close to the original ip. It is really sad as Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus said because everything going forward is going to be corrupted and filled with nonsense and idiocy. And they are going to rape a lot of IPs in the future.
a black elf
man that boob armor...

still-of-kristen-wilson-in-dungeons-%26-dragons-(2000).jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's sad, because if they go the way Peter Jackson went, they will make money. If they go out of their way doing stupid stuff and interpreting things "because it was never explicited that Gandalf was a man !!!" then they take a huge risk.
And I don't know, but if I was a member of the board who greenlighted the IP, I wouldn't want a "proud and brave" version of Tolkien's books. "See, PJ did this, it grossed 3bn $; do the same. Chop chop"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
everyone thinks their ideas are better. everyone also thinks creative freedom makes the best films. on standalone films yes. by all means, show us what you got. on established IPs you do need to follow the rules of that IP. when they start tweaking this and that the whole thing unravels eventually. when they do it all at once, the IP dies right there. at least Peter Jackson covered the most well known Tolkien stuff. they cant turn Frodo and Sam into lovers, so they gotta do that with relatively unknown things. so book fans get the shaft, they always screw the book fans over so thats nothing new.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users