The Lord of the Rings

Chris

Potato del Grande
Jesus, if the Doomcock leaked viewer numbers are right about this they're completely fucked. Apparently they had less total viewership over the first two (possibly three) episodes than House of the Dragon had for its premiere and viewers are just about dropping in half each episode (6m -> 3m -> 1.5/2m)
It's the mystery box shit I think.

House of the Dragon is driven by characters acting in their own self interest and coming into conflict. There is no mystery, just the next chess move or fuckup. Game of Thrones really only had one mystery with R+L=J which was obvious and ultimately irrelevent.

Lord of the Rings was similar, we know everyone's motives and watch the journey play out with characters we come to love taking part in or causing epic events.

Rings of Power... there are so many mysteries that we don't know what the fuck the point of half the scenes are and major characters are already disappearing 3 episodes in. Episode 3 dropped THE FORGING OF THE RINGS STORY THREAD. WHAT THE FUCK.

Normal people don't care enough about the deep lore to be able to speculate who meteor man is, or what the sword is, or what the dwarves found, or what Celebrimbor wants, or who raft man is, or what the royal family are plotting, or who/where Sauron is. Unlikeable characters like Galadriel don't help keep them watching until they learned enough to speculate.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
It's the mystery box shit I think.

. Game of Thrones really only had one mystery with R+L=J which was obvious and ultimately irrelevent.

Your average didn't read the books TV viewer would never have guessed or predicted that

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Your average didn't read the books TV viewer would never have guessed or predicted that
I knew GoT was going to be all downhill from when and how Jon came back to life.

The only good way of handling it would be to burn him on a pyre and have him walk the fuck out of the fire.

The fact that they felt the need to drag that 'mystery' out a bit longer was how I knew that show was going all downhill from there.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I knew GoT was going to be all downhill from when and how Jon came back to life.

The only good way of handling it would be to burn him on a pyre and have him walk the fuck out of the fire.

The fact that they felt the need to drag that 'mystery' out a bit longer was how I knew that show was going all downhill from there.

You know how Brooklyn Beckham is called Brooklyn because he was conceived in Brooklyn?

Well, were you conceived in the Misty Mountains?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You know how Brooklyn Beckham is called Brooklyn because he was conceived in Brooklyn?

Well, were you conceived in the Misty Mountains?
People in my guild would try to annoy me with that song quite often, even more once it was actually in the movie.

But yeah, it is at least 10% of the inspiration for this tag, though the original plan was to name my rogue Mist MeByThatMuch (a Get Smart reference) but WoW never implemented lastnames.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
People in my guild would try to annoy me with that song quite often, even more once it was actually in the movie.

But yeah, it is at least 10% of the inspiration for this tag, though the original plan was to name my rogue Mist MeByThatMuch (a Get Smart reference) but WoW never implemented lastnames.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This has probably been the most wholesome dialogue this board has ever had

Knock it the fuck off you faggots

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Reviewer keeps the kid gloves on the whole time and it's still pretty brutal.

Was it someone here that said the token Elf was the only one who genuinely seemed like one of Tolkien's Elves?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande

Was it someone here that said the token Elf was the only one who genuinely seemed like one of Tolkien's Elves?
Yep, forced diversity is the least of this shows problems so far.

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
it's just so difficult to write a mythical demi-god like character as a protagonist. I mean look at when galadriel meets the fellowship, she more or less reads their minds and telepathically communicates with them, instantly surmising their intents. if this show was at all faithful, she would have just needed to gaze down that queen and her entire court without saying a word, and they would have given her all the ships she needed to go home. there would have been no need for petty arguments and drama surround her staying there, her trying to sneak around the city.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it's just so difficult to write a mythical demi-god like character as a protagonist. I mean look at when galadriel meets the fellowship, she more or less reads their minds and telepathically communicates with them, instantly surmising their intents. if this show was at all faithful, she would have just needed to gaze down that queen and her entire court without saying a word, and they would have given her all the ships she needed to go home. there would have been no need for petty arguments and drama surround her staying there, her trying to sneak around the city.

wouldnt that also mean she would know Sauron from a mile away and not have to Sherlock Holmes clues about him?

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
wouldnt that also mean she would know Sauron from a mile away and not have to Sherlock Holmes clues about him?

I guess you can argue that since he is more powerful than the elves he can disguise/cloak himself. In some of the notes/unfinished tales they talk about him infiltrating the elven hold where they made the rings, although Galadriel supposedly is instantly suspicious of him.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I guess you can argue that since he is more powerful than the elves he can disguise/cloak himself. In some of the notes/unfinished tales they talk about him infiltrating the elven hold where they made the rings, although Galadriel supposedly is instantly suspicious of him.
wouldnt they at least be able to sense his immense power when right next to it? how can Galadriel have a gut feeling about Sauron and not even recognize a powerful necro when she sees one?

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
amazon doesn't pay any attention to the source material, so why should we?
That's actually not true.

There's a fair amount of deep reverence to the source material on display within the show, and not just in surface level Easter egg-like references (of which there are many). It's clear that at least someone with a hand in writing this knows the mythology in extreme detail, and in some cases it's actually woven into the show in a clever fashion and is done well.

Which makes it all the more jarring and irritating that they botched Galadriel so badly. I sort of get why they decided to make her a protagonist. She's a familiar character, she's old, wise, and powerful, lived in the Age of the Trees, and was very active during the First Age. All of that should help her to anchor the show to the past while connecting it to the present story. Not only that, Tolkien wrote about her activities in Second Age only minimally, providing the writers with essentially a clean slate with which to craft some stuff for her to do. And to this point, they've totally failed to execute. They even threw in that bit with the horse to finally give the audience a glimpse that deep down she's actually capable of the warmth and gentleness that she's shown to have in the books and movies, and they turned it into a meme.

I don't even blame the actress, in fact I think she's fairly talented. She's just wasted with the writing and direction on display so far.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

You probably thinking of me, and the closest thing to a positive thing I've said about this show is that Galadriel was the most elf-like of the characters. That needs to be framed around how horiffic and un-elflike all the other elves are. Elves are the shit of this show. She's the corn shitnugget floating on the shitsea. I still don't want it.

spronk

FPS noob

galadriel can only read minds in LOTR because sauron fucked her in rings of power and, to quote Fellowship of the Ring, "I know his mind" (and dick). She got a STD from him.

just wait till episode 7 where galadriel starts wasting numenoreans with a glock

ROP_Galladriel_Gun.png

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
galadriel can only read minds in LOTR because sauron fucked her in rings of power and, to quote Fellowship of the Ring, "I know his mind" (and dick). She got a STD from him.

just wait till episode 7 where galadriel starts wasting numenoreans with a glock

View attachment 433406
err ok. i guess what i was saying is Galadriel can read minds, but if she runs across someone's mind she cant read, that means they must be as powerful or more so than she. would be super easy to tell who the baddie is.