The Lord of the Rings

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i have a TON of nitpicks with this show... obviously so do most people...

but i think the most damning is that nothing is happening. i think i'd be fine if they went off and did their own thing separate from the movies and possibly even established lore... i mean on one hand i'd prefer it to be as loyal as possible but they can't seem to actually do that, so let them just run off with their own story. i don't know if it's because they are tied to things they can't change or what but we're just stuck in the "things are ramping up" phase FOR EVER. i can't actually think of a single thing of consequence that's happened so far. i mean we have plenty of SCENES of things happening but nothing of consequence. the only even remotely consequential thing is mithril but again, nothing has happened with it. it's still under the guard of the king, still perilous to mine...

like i said, i'd almost rather they just ignore all the source material at this point... it'd be awful but at least things would happen...

Chris

Potato del Grande

but i think the most damning is that nothing is happening. i think i'd be fine if they went off and did their own thing separate from the movies and possibly even established lore... i mean on one hand i'd prefer it to be as loyal as possible but they can't seem to actually do that, so let them just run off with their own story. i don't know if it's because they are tied to things they can't change or what but we're just stuck in the "things are ramping up" phase FOR EVER. i can't actually think of a single thing of consequence that's happened so far. i mean we have plenty of SCENES of things happening but nothing of consequence. the only even remotely consequential thing is mithril but again, nothing has happened with it. it's still under the guard of the king, still perilous to mine...

like i said, i'd almost rather they just ignore all the source material at this point... it'd be awful but at least things would happen...
I think it's going to be the Game of Thrones model of one exciting event per season, except the characters and writers are shit so it's boring.

S1 - Balrog Emerges
S2 - Rings Forged
S3 - Sauron First Defeat
S4 - Fall of Numenor
S5 - Last Alliance

Goatface

little off topic, but amazon gave me a 30 day free prime when this show started and now offering to extend it another 30 days. never had that happen before. still not watching it on prime lol

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
little off topic, but amazon gave me a 30 day free prime when this show started and now offering to extend it another 30 days. never had that happen before. still not watching it on prime lol

Hahaha - very telling for certain (as is that I cannot get a single package or email from Prime that isn't overwhelmingly branded "Rings of Power."

For what it's worth, I made it through all of Star Trek: Strange new worlds on Paramount + codes. One would expire and they would send another one. I would actually like them to stay afloat though as SNW, Lower Decks and Evil are among my favorite shows. And, as you all know, I consume media as if it were potato chips or M&Ms.

Juvarisx

Florida

I would have enjoyed a show that focused just on the dwarves of the show and the discovery and dangerous mining of Mithril. Hell retcon them unearthing the Balrog early I don't care (could even be a different one) then you could add the Blue Wizards to the mix. You'd have family drama with Durin and his father, have Elrond show up for elf stuff, fight some goblins and trolls, who cares anything is better then the Galadriel stuff

They are by far the best part of the show to the point where I wonder if they had a separate creative team just for them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
It really does seem like they hired a couple talented writers who eat, drink, and sleep Tolkien and dropped them into the middle of a thousand monkeys typing on a thousand typewriters. They're trying their best but are simply outnumbered. For fuck's sake, the Harfoots are more interesting than the Numenor plot at this point. Numenor looks tremendous and Elendil and Halbrand are alright, but most of the rest is brutal. The largest naval power on the planet sends their queen regent to war with all of...five three ships? I guess the only possible positive outcome of this is that they can still sort of salvage Pharazon's storyline by the girl power duo getting their shit kicked in and abandoning the fight when Mount Doom gets switched on next week. Sauron then sets up shop in Mordor, giving Pharazon the opening to build the real fleet.

And did they just take that contrived "Arwen's life is now tied to the ring" hooey from the LoTR movies and somehow make it vastly more ridiculous? Even if that turns out to be a treachery of Sauron for the purposes of lighting a fire under Celebrimbor, the High King of the Noldor would never fall for that. Stupid.

Durin is still by far the best character and Adar / Maglor / Uncle Benjen / whoever the hell he is is a highlight so far.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

They're afraid to tell the forging of the rings.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

i think one "critic" wrote in his RoP review that shows dont get going til the third season, so youll just have to stick it out for 3 seasons to see something happen. i dunno where they got that shit from, but i guess its code for this show sucks, but it might get better someday. you guys are at mid season already and still nothing happening is not a good sign.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
i think one "critic" wrote in his RoP review that shows dont get going til the third season, so youll just have to stick it out for 3 seasons to see something happen. i dunno where they got that shit from, but i guess its code for this show sucks, but it might get better someday. you guys are at mid season already and still nothing happening is not a good sign.

But dude it looks great in 4k

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
And did they just take that contrived "Arwen's life is now tied to the ring" hooey
For the most part Jackson just spelled out directly what was mostly just hinted at in the books, and made the forging of Anduril into a more significant event that Elrond had to be goaded into doing. Remember, movie Elrond was there when the strength of men failed and he doesn't believe that Sauron can be defeated. The existence of Valinor detaches him from the fate of Middle Earth and while he no doubt cares about his 59x great nephew Aragorn, he's had thousands of years and the deaths of 58 other nephews to numb him to the passing of men. Arwen choosing mortality changes everything for him.

"Arwen is dying" - This one is the only one to take completely literally, because Arwen IS dying now that she has chosen the Gift of Man

"She will not long survive the evil that spreads now from Mordor" - Because he thinks Aragorn is doomed to failure and she can't flee to Valinor

"The light of the Evenstar is fading" - could be referring to either the necklace or to Arwen herself as Evenstar is her epesse.

"Arwen's life is now tied to the fate of the ring" - as is the life of every non-Elvish inhabitant of Middle Earth.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
For the most part Jackson just spelled out directly what was mostly just hinted at in the books, and made the forging of Anduril into a more significant event that Elrond had to be goaded into doing. Remember, movie Elrond was there when the strength of men failed and he doesn't believe that Sauron can be defeated. The existence of Valinor detaches him from the fate of Middle Earth and while he no doubt cares about his 59x great nephew Aragorn, he's had thousands of years and the deaths of 58 other nephews to numb him to the passing of men. Arwen choosing mortality changes everything for him.

"Arwen is dying" - This one is the only one to take completely literally, because Arwen IS dying now that she has chosen the Gift of Man

"She will not long survive the evil that spreads now from Mordor" - Because he thinks Aragorn is doomed to failure and she can't flee to Valinor

"The light of the Evenstar is fading" - could be referring to either the necklace or to Arwen herself as Evenstar is her epesse.

"Arwen's life is now tied to the fate of the ring" - as is the life of every non-Elvish inhabitant of Middle Earth.
I haven't watched RoTK in a few years, and with it laid out as you did it sounds plausible, but aren't you forgetting that it also tied into Arwen collapsing into some sort of mystery sickness, and then boom, ring destroyed, all better? It just seemed invented for no good reason, as if those long, heavy movies needed even more high stakes tossed into the mix.

Last edited:

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have no idea what that fight with the Balrog was about. I guess it was some time after Ungoliant? I can't remember if mithril is in fact a remnant of the silmaril light or whether they just made it up. They probably don't have the rights to use Ungoliant and had to come up with something.

Finally got to see Sauron. If i had to guess his little party of followers is the Cult of Melkor? The most interesting parts of the show seem to be the shortest.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I think all of the elves if they stay on ME turn into shadow/fade regardless of whether Sauron was around or not. I assume Sauron maybe would hasten it? but the Valar basically programmed them to come home or fade out, hence why they all have this hard on to go West.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I have no idea what that fight with the Balrog was about. I guess it was some time after Ungoliant? I can't remember if mithril is in fact a remnant of the silmaril light or whether they just made it up. They probably don't have the rights to use Ungoliant and had to come up with something.
All of that was completely concocted for the show. There's no direct connection with mithril and silmarils in the lore, never mind mithril having anything at all to do with Elvish lifespan in Middle Earth, except perhaps in the barest of connections. At least one of the great rings was made of mithril (Nenya), which helped to build and maintain Lothlorien.
Finally got to see Sauron. If i had to guess his little party of followers is the Cult of Melkor? The most interesting parts of the show seem to be the shortest.
Unless Sauron was gender swapped and has tits, that's not Sauron.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users