The Lord of the Rings

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I haven't watched RoTK in a few years, and with it laid out as you did it sounds plausible, but aren't you forgetting that it also tied into Arwen collapsing into some sort of mystery sickness, and then boom, ring destroyed, all better? It just seemed invented for no good reason, as if those long, heavy movies needed even more high stakes tossed into the mix.
The only time she legitimately looks a bit ill is her being pale and depressed in Rivendell. The other scenes with her being sick are Aragorn dreaming and Sauron trying to deceive Aragorn with the Palantir in the extended cut.

If the idea was for her to be wasting away because of the power of the One Ring, I don't think the original plan to have her bring Anduril to Helm's Deep and join the fighting would have made it as far as it did.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
1663969158635.png

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
The only time she legitimately looks a bit ill is her being pale and depressed in Rivendell. The other scenes with her being sick are Aragorn dreaming and Sauron trying to deceive Aragorn with the Palantir in the extended cut.

If the idea was for her to be wasting away because of the power of the One Ring, I don't think the original plan to have her bring Anduril to Helm's Deep and join the fighting would have made it as far as it did.
Well that's just it...that probably wasn't the idea. The original plan was likely to have had Arwen adventuring with Aragorn in RoTK, but they scrapped that because some behind-the-scenes pictures of her swashbuckling at Helm's Deep had leaked and nerds lost their minds. They then had to rewrite whatever she was going to be doing in RoTK at the last minute, so they gave the Anduril reveal to Elrond and had Arwen take a sick day.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
little off topic, but amazon gave me a 30 day free prime when this show started and now offering to extend it another 30 days. never had that happen before. still not watching it on prime lol

I made sure to hide the show on prime because I didn't want to look at the thumbnail. I'm certain the site is working poorly now to spite me.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
The actress playing the queen of Numenor can't pull it off. Look at how Cersei was portrayed, you BELIEVED she was a Queen.

The show is ok, and frankly, I don't mind watching it each week, but its not a home run, and the writing isn't the only culprit. Some of the casting is just not great. To be honest, the Hobbit people (whom I wasn't crazy about initially) and dwarves are among the strongest in the show.

Galadriel training the soldiers in Numenor was another cringe worthy scene. That was the one point I really wanted to turn it off.

That 'stand and fight' speech random mom (elf dudes girlfriend) gave was seriously cringe. The whole time I sat there thinking, 'no, I will not care about this character no matter how hard you try'.

Again, show isn't a dumpster fire, but if it were me, I would have hired some of the best in Hollywood (people with Motion Picture experience) and brought in Peter Jackson and done everything in my power to make this historic as for TV.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Again, show isn't a dumpster fire, but if it were me, I would have hired some of the best in Hollywood (people with Motion Picture experience) and brought in Peter Jackson and done everything in my power to make this historic as for TV.
Imagine going to the trouble of hiring a Tolkien scholar for the show and then firing him when he gives you an honest opinion about your awful writing.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Just waiting for the other shoe to drop on this piece of shit.
what other shoe can drop? they are already filming season 2, its going to be the same showrunners. they arent going to rework this show now. either its a hit as is or it gets cancelled after season 2.they stopped releasing their numbers, they would have if it was a hit. when they had the show premiered they played fucky by having it autoplay on their main page, which is how they got 25 million views. they took that down. what they are doing is calling the fans racist. so its likely a DOA show. Bezos is going to take a bath on this.

• 3Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
what other shoe can drop? they are already filming season 2, its going to be the same showrunners. they arent going to rework this show now. either its a hit as is or it gets cancelled after season 2.they stopped releasing their numbers, they would have if it was a hit. when they had the show premiered they played fucky by having it autoplay on their main page, which is how they got 25 million views. they took that down. what they are doing is calling the fans racist. so its likely a DOA show. Bezos is going to take a bath on this.

Best way to handle the Hobbit remakes is for Bezos to step aside along with Amazon and just keep their name off the films entirely. They shouldn't be anything more than a studio credit that flashes for a second. I'd also consider selecting a distributor for theaters and keeping the Prime video name off it.

Let people find out organically that Amazon did these upcoming Hobbit movies. Just act as a traditional studio in the backseat-- rather than this terraformer of society and the message.

If they do the Rings of Power press tour and rollout for the Hobbit, then those movies are DOA just the same.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I really hope Amazon is smarter than to give Hobbit the Prime Video treatment and for Bezos and company to plaster his face all over the marketing, use the same PR company to promote it they used for Rings (racism, sexism talking points in every piece, every article that comes out) and claim unanimous victory via review suppression.

Oldbased

> Than U
I saw a frontpage media article on Yahoo the other day I didn't get to read that was titled: Maybe it is time we just admit the new LotR is just bad.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Amazon counter article, Vanity Fair: Maybe it is time we just admit Tolkien is not all that.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Amazon counter article, Vanity Fair: Maybe it is time we just admit Tolkien is not all that.
they already insinuated that he was a racist for not including black everything in 100% white england when he was alive. just include him in the blame game and then premier black Bilbo with gay trans black Gandolf. this IP is dead, they couldnt let it be retired, they had to rez it and then kill it with a stake through the heart.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The IP isn't dead, just make a "parody" of Rings of Power except you parody it by actually being a good show.

• 3Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
This show has so much mediocrity, and the elves are... not good.

But lol, prince and Kweeeness of the dwarves are so all in on their acting, I don't know how anyone could hate on them. If this show was just the story of the dwarves, it could have been a masterpiece.

• 5Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
The dwarves really are great.

With the inexplicably black-out-of-nowhere dwarf queen I'm just trying to pretend this is like a high school production, and there was that one black chick, and they had to find a part for her even though its hilariously miscast, and she ends up knocking it out of the fucking park. It almost makes her look better as an actress.

I mean it doesnt take much to play a convincing bad guy when your 6'4", muscled like the Rock, and have a face like Freddy Kreuger. Playing a convincing bad guy when you look like Screetch from Saved by the Bell, now that takes talent.

and thats the kind of thing she's pulling off

• 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
If they had a show just about the Dwarves, they could have introduced different clans with some from the south having darker skin.

It just needs explaining and not to contradict existing characters.

• 1Like