• 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Rumor is they are replacing show runners. We'll see but good news for season 2 if they do.
Would be very smart of them and give the fans some faith. I havent seen anyone say anything good about the showrunners.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ironically, the most lore-accurate part of the entire thing is the narrated few minutes of the First Age that's shown in the prologue, which they have no rights to beyond the brief references made to it in the LoTR appendices. They actually did a reasonably good job with bringing that to life while making sure to stay within the constraints of the very limited material they had to work with. There are also a bunch of brief First Age references and easter eggs scattered about the season.

Now, let's move on to the Second Age. Off the top of my head, here is everything in all 9+ hours of the show so far that was actually pulled from the books:

Some of the characters and locations that exist in the books...exist in the show.
They briefly set up the faithful versus the King's men situation in Numenor.
Tar-Palantir dies.
Sauron is in disguise and helps guide the Elven smiths, although the manner and timeframe in which this occurs is vastly different from the books.
The three elven rings are forged in Eregion by Celebrimbor (but seemingly none of the others have been made at all yet).

We're up to maybe 30 minutes of screen time now. Then there's the other ~8-1/2 hours of Galadriel wandering the world with her buddy Sauron, Mithril as magical Silmaril dust, the Elves suddenly dying because...reasons, Elves and Numenoreans battling orcs in proto-Mordor, Harfoots and not-Gandalf fighting non-binary Slim Shady wizard, magical volcano sword-key, Durin vs Durin, sailboat sabotage gone awry, Isildur "dying", Celeborn going AWOL for hundreds of years, etc. So yeah, just a few adaptorial liberties taken. No problems here.
And then out of all that, including the semi faithful to the book stuff, only Durin vs Durin and the orcs/Adar are any good.

If this show had actually been well-written the time compression could almost be forgiven. Tolkien himself was a bit silly with how glacially he had certain things move. Sauron as Annatar spends something like 300 years in Eregion working to forge the initial batch of rings with the Gwaith-i-Mírdain. Celebrimbor doesn't forge the three Eleven rings for another 90 years or so after that. It's not like there are many if any significant political or technological shifts that take place over the course of those 1500 years, which runs completely counter to the real world.

The show takes it to the opposite extreme, though. It seems like Sauron is in Eregion for like a day or two before he peaces out to Mordor. The pacing from beginning to end is brutally uneven, which would still be a massive weakness even if the issues of adaptation weren't there.
Funnily enough House of the Dragon did multiple time jumps and it kinda worked.

It would really have driven home the immortality of the elves and the fate of men if each time we visted Numenor with the elves it was the kids of the previous set of characters. That Durin scene would have been better too if we saw young Durin and Elrond's friendship, then we don't see him for an episode, then he's 50 years older with a family and pissed off.

The 3 being invented and forged in apparently a day is unforgivable when that should be the central concept of the show and the lore says that there were loads of lesser rings then the 3 were after the 7 and 9.

Imagine if we followed the elven smiths throughout the season, each adding to the craft so we suspect them of being Sauron. Perhaps they have a dwarf smith to work the mithril who ages over the season and dies at the end, and a family of human smiths who bring materials from Numenor who change every episode. At the end the human smith takes Celebrimbor to one side and says "Now your craft is advanced enough, you are ready. I am Annatar, Lord of Gifts and I have much to share..." and he's been every human smith throughout the entire show, shapeshifted.

Is my 5 minute concept better than what they did?

• 1Like

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider

Rumor is they are replacing show runners. We'll see but good news for season 2 if they do.
While they're making changes, they should just go ahead and spend another half bill. for the Silmarilion rights and restart the series over. Season 1? Just kidding about that...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
While they're making changes, they should just go ahead and spend another half bill. for the Silmarilion rights and restart the series over. Season 1? Just kidding about that...
What can they even change? The plotline is set. I have no idea where they are going with this either.

Season 1 is all about Galadriel's journey and "who is Sauron?" mystery boxss.

Surely they can't do mystery boxes again? Is Gandalf going to have a mystery box in the east?

Is Galadriel going on another random journey? I feel like next season will focus on Sauron taking over Mordor with Isildur, Negrolas, Activist.

It's hard to care.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Man I wonder if a race of people who live FOREVER would live on a time scale that seems strange to people who rarely even make it to one hundred years old.
it's not even about the elves (or the numenorians, for that matter, they live several hundred years as well). technology advancing so quickly is a current century thing, basically. throughout our own history, very few things changed outside of things like regular border skirmishes and the like. i mean, yes all kinds of nations have risen and fallen in the span of a few hundred years, but generally whoever took over after those nations fell, generally ran things the same way.

technology is the only thing that has seemed to have exponentially sped up recently, and you could argue that that had a lot to do with tolkien even writing LotR in the first place. i don't fault him for saying that there were vast amounts of time throughout all 3 ages where seemingly nothing happens. things happened, just on too small a scale to be recorded next to the big age defining events

j00t

we've discussed it a bit here, but i believe that tolkien's estate were ONLY interested in selling the pieces of his work that were already out there; the lord of the rings, the hobbit, and the appendices. all of the rest of tolkien's work has always been off the table.

j00t

Would be very smart of them and give the fans some faith. I havent seen anyone say anything good about the showrunners.
i have, and replacing them makes me worried. for all their faults, the showrunners never put any modern day politics into the show despite the understanding that they were going to. amazon is going to misunderstand (on purpose) what the fans are complaining about and find showrunners to keep the same awful story telling, but this time with gays and blue hairs.

Chris

Potato del Grande
the showrunners never put any modern day politics into the show
The show has one black character of each race, the only romance is interracial and the whole show is about a Mary Sue female soldier. What the fuck are you talking about?

The only thing they didn't do is have a gay, but they did have a tranny ringwraith.

• 1Like
  • 1Pathetic

j00t

The show has one black character of each race, the only romance is interracial and the whole show is about a Mary Sue female soldier. What the fuck are you talking about?

The only thing they didn't do is have a gay, but they did have a tranny ringwraith.
i don't really consider galadriel to be a mary sue. yes, she's overly powerful (but that's already sticking with previously established canon). however, the show seems to show her only really screwing things up.

Chris

Potato del Grande
i don't really consider galadriel to be a mary sue. yes, she's overly powerful (but that's already sticking with previously established canon).
She's a noble in the backstory, wanting to rule. By LotR she is a weird mind reading sorcresses but it's unclear how much of that is from her ring. She's good at one thing, being a sorceress and protecting her wood.

She isn't fighting, doing kung fu sword fights on wires or humiliating trainees.

Mary Sues are good at everything. Ice climbing, sword fighting, swimming, horse riding, researching old records, they have it all.

however, the show seems to show her only really screwing things up.
This is just classic Mary Sue, inadvertently making the audience hate them. That is not the intention of the writers. She is always shown to be right and is then tricked by Sauron, which is supposed to be understandable.

j00t

She's a noble in the backstory, wanting to rule. By LotR she is a weird mind reading sorcresses but it's unclear how much of that is from her ring. She's good at one thing, being a sorceress and protecting her wood.

She isn't fighting, doing kung fu sword fights on wires or humiliating trainees.

Mary Sues are good at everything. Ice climbing, sword fighting, swimming, horse riding, researching old records, they have it all.

This is just classic Mary Sue, inadvertently making the audience hate them. That is not the intention of the writers. She is always shown to be right and is then tricked by Sauron, which is supposed to be understandable.
no, i mean the show even blatently tells us AND galadriel that this is all her fault. "now the world will know that sauron lives because of galadriel" it's not about us just hating her like rey, the show TELLS us this is all her fault.

and her being able to do everything? that's just elves. they don't sink in snow, they can 1v1 balrogs, they are the best smiths... the entire reason sauron waited so long was because he was playing the long game, waiting for the elves to leave middle-earth because no matter what he did, how strong his forces were, he lost EVERY SINGLE TIME because of elves.

yes, you are correct, we are never specifically told about galadriel's martial abilities, but the way tolkien described elves, he just sort of used vague explanations of their power. we know how powerful gil-galad's martial strength is, and tolkien said that after gil-galad died, galadriel was "the mightiest and fairest of all the elves that remained in Middle-earth." we're also told that she learned magic from one of the maiar, so her ring enhanced that, but she was already a raid boss before that

• 1Dislike

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Mary Sues don’t have an explanation for why they are so skilled at everything. Galadriel could have been far more perfect in every way and I still wouldn’t call her a Mary Sue. She’s like elf royalty and thousands of years old. That’s explanation enough for me. In fact, how dumb she acted at [most] times was the worst part of her character.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Now we're rehashing this stupid argument again.

Morfydd Clark's shitty version of Galadriel comes across as a Mary Sue regardless of how powerful Galadriel is in the source material. Hell at this point they've made it abundantly clear that canon does not matter to them whatsoever, so saying 'but shes powerful in the source material' no longer has any meaning as an argument.

• 2Like

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, sorry, Galadriel in this is not a Mary Sue at all by any definition I've ever encountered, unless you accept edgelord idiocy like "every powerful female character is a Mary Sue by default" as valid. She's badly written and directed in this, but she's not a Mary Sue.

The show really isn't woke at all unless simple tokenism satisfies your definition. They may have gone super turbo retarded with the virtue signaling in interviews, tweets, and marketing materials, but within the show itself it's virtually absent. The show has lots of problems, but they have nothing to do with any of that shit, so yes, it could easily get much worse.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 2 users

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Show not woke at all, except the entire driving force behind it, explicitly stated by everyone involved in the production of it, stated the opposite.

And Galadriel isn't a mary sue eh. Thats a hot take. She has no character growth. She arrives somewhere, bullies everyone, and moves on. What the fuck are you smoking not a mary sue.

• 4Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Show not woke at all, except the entire driving force behind it, explicitly stated by everyone involved in the production of it, stated the opposite.

Then they did a terrible job of translating it to the final cut. I can market a car that I'm building as the best red car ever made, but if I buy the wrong paint and it turns out blue, I guess my marketing was full of shit.

The likely reality is they did all that to rile up the vocal culture warriors well ahead of the release of the show, so when it was (rightly) panned for being poorly written, they had a prepackaged defense ready to deploy, that being: all of the critics are simply racist / sexist. Just look at what all the evil YouTubers said before they even watched it!

And Galadriel isn't a mary sue eh. Thats a hot take. She has no character growth. She arrives somewhere, bullies everyone, and moves on. What the fuck are you smoking not a mary sue.

dictionary.com:

"Mary Sue is a term used to describe a fictional character, usually female, who is seen as too perfect and almost boring for lack of flaws, originally written as an idealized version of an author in fanfiction."

Does not apply.

wikipedia.com:

"Usually female and almost always the main character, a Mary Sue is often an author's idealized self-insertion, and may serve as a form of wish-fulfillment."

You'd have to be some sort of twisted weirdo for Galadriel's incarnation in this to be wish fulfillment.

tvtropes.com:

"This theory posits that a Mary Sue is an unrealistically capable and virtuous character, one who simply lacks flaws and is depicted in an overly positive light."

Does not apply.

grammarist.com:

"A Mary Sue is a character who has no weaknesses, who performs heroically and perfectly in every situation."

Does not apply.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity