The Lord of the Rings

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Some of it looks very well done. Then you see the dwarf princess and it makes me want too gag.

I liked this shot. Great detail.
View attachment 397682
Thought the exact same thing based on the images. Granted they are very hi-res, hopefully the show looks that good.

Is that suppose to be Galadriel? Cuz no one replaces my girl Kate..

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
This other Amazon series had amazing stills too. Maybe it turned out decent. They definitely had the budget.

Tar_Valon.jpg

Padan_Fain_The_Dusty_Wheel.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 4 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Ugh I think it is, saw this on polygon:

A young Galadriel, played by Morfydd Clark (Saint Maud), appears to be the star, if her place walking away from explosive fire without giving an eff is any indication.

Idiots, she's 60 thousand + years old by the second age.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Ugh I think it is, saw this on polygon:

Idiots, she's 60 thousand + years old by the second age.

The actress they got is pretty good in stuff I've seen her in, and I have to imagine Cate Blanchet wouldn't be keen on signing up for 5 seasons of this show.

We are getting a new Eldrond and Isildur for the same reason (not that Isildur was in the movies for very long, even the extended editions).

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

lord-of-the-rings-008.jpg

Darnell, I'm pregnant
all right bitch i gotta go i'm on a quest for a ring or some shit, bye!

the show also finally answers the question of why all dwarven men are away from home all the time, this is the dwarven queen lol

lord-of-the-rings-004.jpg
I'm cool with black dwarves because they are supposed to be ugly anyway so it actually seems in character.

Black elves and we are going to have a problem.

They should make Sauron black out of principle but they won't.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I've always imagined Wood Elves as darker skinned than other elves and I blame Everquest.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
All these fantasy series have these incredibly complicated hairdos. Do we know if that is historical or if it's just movie production hiring fancy hairdressers and them wanting to show off?

805efa13c79bb8a0131fd40a5ec60073d6fe8e1a.jpg
Vikings-Hair-Featured-Image-Cropped.jpg

hair-styles-vikings.jpg
Lagertha-Katheryn-Winnick-Vikings-awesome-hair.jpg
Yeah as said Guurn said its all fantasy, though those GoT examples arent too bad. The Viking examples are pure artistic fever dream though. Which overall I dont think is a bad thing as long as its not billing itself as a realistic depiction of X. Shows are meant to be interesting and have some flair to them.
the show also finally answers the question of why all dwarven men are away from home all the time, this is the dwarven queen lol

lord-of-the-rings-004.jpg
we wuz minerz n shit

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
People that live mostly underground and have for thousands of years would be pasty as hell.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
People that live mostly underground and have for thousands of years would be pasty as hell.
They need the melanin to protect them from that all that blang they dig up.

Think about it, dwarves love them some gold. Who else loves gold?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Black dwarves is fine as long as Durin's folk are white and these are some far east clan.

Black hobbits the same as long as they are not the Shire tribe.

Black humans... traders from the far south? OK.

Black elves, no there's no room in the established lore for that. Same with black Numenorean humans. These two I draw the line at and won't watch it, keep to the established lore and authentic North European setting.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I could see woodies being a bit tan and definitely shorter. Remember though that all the wood elven realms are ruled by high elves as far as I can remember.

In addition to being pale or even slightly luminous for the high elves, they also had strictly defined hair colours by house. The house of Felagund was blonde. All other elven houses had black hair. There were no red-heads.

Hobbits had a "ruddy" look to one of the subraces, I forget which.

I don't really know much about dwarves. They definitely had no queens, and kept their women a secret. I don't remember any instance of any non dwarf seeing a dwarven woman. They were mostly as secretive about the language they spoke, aside from a few battle shouts.

There isn't alot of detail in the accounts of the years of friendly cooperation between moria and eregion, but I'd like to imagine there were plenty of ambassadorial visits and feasting and whatnot, so I could well imagine someone trusted like Galadriel being allowed to meet a gaggle of dwarven wives.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I always imagined Wood Elves as "Amazonian" in look/style. Their inspiration seems to draw a lot from "jungle"/South American tribes IMO.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I always thought of Drow as black but thats probably because of just all the visual art representation I grew up seeing. But Ive also seen them being referred to as pale white because they lived underground. So I guess it just is determined by whatever source material is used.

Agree with Wood Elves having the amazonian tribal look. Being savage elves that were outcasts of High Elves basically and looked down on.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I always thought of Drow as black but thats probably because of just all the visual art representation I grew up seeing. But Ive also seen them being referred to as pale white because they lived underground. So I guess it just is determined by whatever source material is used.

Agree with Wood Elves having the amazonian tribal look. Being savage elves that were outcasts of High Elves basically and looked down on.
When I read the Dark Elf trilogy years ago, my mind's eye always depicted them as slightly varied shades of purple. I never really imagined them as blue.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah but Legolas is a Wood Elf, they already showed the only two remaining Wood Elf kingdoms with Mirkwood and Lothlorien.

The new stuff is the old High Elf city before it was ruined and they went to Rivendell.

All elves are cultured compared to men, it's kinda the point of the books with men being finally ready to take over.

• 2Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
And you just came to that conclusion today??
I was holding out hope for it. No idea why since they splurged so much money on WoT and got nothing but hot garbage. Curious what the budget for this show is in comparison.