The Lord of the Rings

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Episode #3 was tolerable. Too many storylines for me to see where they are going. And yes, they are compressing time (it seems) a lot. But what's the alternative? Take 10 years to tell a portion of the story?

I wish they would improve the dialogue. The cinematography and the music are good. I like Galadriel; she has tremendous potential, but I don't understand the human / elf issue(s) yet. I also think that they downplay elves to the point where they are not much different from humans.

Still in.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Orcs look and sound great. Numenor looked great. I don’t like Isildur. So far I’m fine with Galadriel. Don’t like dude she’s with though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
explain for us non watchers who troll this thread?

Literally she is fucking everything that moves.

Sheboon the dwarf queen somehow didn’t bother me either.

The only thing that bothered me about her was the lack of a beard. Am I mixing up my mythology? Don't the female dwarves in tolkien's world have beards?

race swapping

Talk to me about race swapping when they have a fucking dwarf playing an elf. Till then STFU.

ROP_WargWargWarg.jpg

holy shit American Inventor wolves!

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Gotta admit, if they make a tranny the ultimate evil, that's a pretty good fucking self-own.

Remove his makeup and slap Sauron's wig on him from LOTR trilogy. There are similarities between the casting.

I just hope they don't lean too hard into depicting Sauron as androgynous in the Rings of Power.

But yeah, no meme guessing from me. The smart money has to bank on it being Sauron.

1662793892803.png

1662794057080.png

It had a lot of support for "sexy" Sauron. When I see articles like that from before the show was filmed, it makes me think Amazon fluffed up the idea to warm people up to it.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Its Jacksonian.

If Jackson's cinematography was to be ripped off and misinterpreted by a hack.

But make no mistake-- these type of shots are modeled after Jackson's LOTR. You shouldn't take much issue with it for that reason as its a tribute of sorts. Even if poorly done.
The shot isn't the issue really, before the clip I posted it pans over Numenor and is a good way to show off the place.

it's the concept of Galadriel loving riding horses so much out of nowhere and the actress having that retarded look on her face.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
The shot isn't the issue really, before the clip I posted it pans over Numenor and is a good way to show off the place.

it's the concept of Galadriel loving riding horses so much out of nowhere and the actress having that retarded look on her face.
At least the horse was white.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Ok so the show is fucking boring so far and all the characters I don’t give a shit about.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ok so the show is fucking boring so far and all the characters I don’t give a shit about.
It's 5 seasons and they have 4 events to cover - Ring Forging, Sauron's initial defeat, Sauron corrupting Numenor, The Last Alliance and LotR prologue.

So it may be that nothing happens in Season 1 other than introducing characters and Season 3 and 5 and just going to be repetitive.

This is why I think they have so many mystery boxes, Season 1 is just going to be leading up to us discovering who Sauron is - the books say he disguises as an elf or maiar named Annatar...

Yeah I don't see how they can stretch this out.

spronk

FPS noob
ROP_Tolkien_Academia.jpg

all these people get paid a salary to sit around talking about this

1662816860913.png

(it does take place in England for those wondering, but i'm sure there is an equivalent shit show in America)

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
all these people get paid a salary to sit around talking about this

(it does take place in England for those wondering, but i'm sure there is an equivalent shit show in America)

NEWSFLASH: spronk spronk discovers woke academia. Only about 7 years too late. Way to go buddy!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They've cut more than that. I don't know what year of the Second Age the show is supposed to have started in, but it seems like they're compressing more like 3000 years into basically a couple of weeks so far.

For no reason whatsoever I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that Tar-Miriel is putting on a front and she's really one of the Faithful and shit will hit the fan when her father dies and Ar-Pharazon wrests the scepter. I'm probably wrong and it'll go down like you suspect.

Although, dragging Sauron back to Numenor was always going to be a problem for a show covering this period, particularly for non-readers. They'd need to go through the build-up and massive special effects expense of launching the largest, most powerful fleet to ever sail the sea, get it to Middle Earth to meet Sauron's massive, battle-ready army, only to have...the Orcs flake out without a fight and leaving Sauron alone looking like a chump. It works in the book, but that would be a tough sell for a movie / TV show.
I was basing the 1600 on when Numenor saved the Elves from being slaughtered by Sauron, around 1600-ish (if including build up) SA and when Tar Miriel / Ar Pharazon we're ruling, around 3100-ish SA.

No idea if they intend to show the Last Alliance at all now, if they do then they really need to get shit started. I really think having Galadriel be such a focus was the wrong call here, but I understand that they wanted a recognizable and strong female main character. Sad that she is only being used to introduce other characters.

In regards to the comment about an overthrown Numenor king, afaik, there was never such an occurrence, but there was a breaking with tradition with the later kings taking the "Ar" title instead of "Tar" to show their breaking with the Valar. Most of those kings also subjugated many lands in ME, which causes Sauron to keep a very low profile after he got smacked.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
In regards to the comment about an overthrown Numenor king, afaik, there was never such an occurrence, but there was a breaking with tradition with the later kings taking the "Ar" title instead of "Tar" to show their breaking with the Valar. Most of those kings also subjugated many lands in ME, which causes Sauron to keep a very low profile after he got smacked.

That is why it was so jarring to me that the show introduced the whole "former king was overthrown" bullshit. Its specifically mentioned in the books that Elendil and the other "elf friends" dared not even rebel against Ar-Pharazon himself and took offense to people who accused them as being rebels because they had such a very deep loyalty to the House of Elros.

I believe they will do a switcharoo/fake-out with Qwang Miriel because a) they want to show a black Qwang as the good guy and b) Queen Miriel was her father's daughter and that father was the last of the elf friendly line of kings.

So are they keeping Pharazon as some sort of prime minister in the show?? lol, I guess that way they can side step the whole "its my 1st cousin but one is white and the other black as the ace of spades". If so, then that is a EXTREEM example of changing the story so they can shoe horn a black queen in.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Have you even READ the Silmarillion? Its not an avalanche of action.
Yes, but this is a TV show not based on it, it shouldn't be all about some dumb family real housewives drama. Also the silmarillion is boring and has god battles.