The Lord of the Rings

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I believe they will do a switcharoo/fake-out with Qwang Miriel because a) they want to show a black Qwang as the good guy and b) Queen Miriel was her father's daughter and that father was the last of the elf friendly line of kings.

So are they keeping Pharazon as some sort of prime minister in the show?? lol, I guess that way they can side step the whole "its my 1st cousin but one is white and the other black as the ace of spades". If so, then that is a EXTREEM example of changing the story so they can shoe horn a black queen in.
That would make sense on how it can fit The Message. I thought it funny that they would make the black queen the evil usurper, but the twist could easily be that she is just the figurehead daughter of the old king, forced to do the bidding of the evil white man that is really the one in charge, pulling the strings.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
the hobbit people seem kinda fucked up, like "oh your wagon wheel broke" well fuck you we ditch you and your family dies.
the Time crunch and having Elendil/Isildur is cool but Isildur acts like Fing luke skywalker in Ep3 cause he wants to go adventuring instead of doing his homework.
Elf story half cool seeing Mordor built but all the elves are weakass, like didnt legolas solo 30 and see and hear orcs miles and miles away but these chumps get caught like nothing.

As I said the race shit is actually a non issue, the show is badly written and drags.

• 1Like

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Also did the CGI warg look like Claymation to anyone else, like holy shit they looked better in 2001.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
That would make sense on how it can fit The Message. I thought it funny that they would make the black queen the evil usurper, but the twist could easily be that she is just the figurehead daughter of the old king, forced to do the bidding of the evil white man that is really the one in charge, pulling the strings.

Thats another thing, there SHOULD be no "old king in prison, too old to rule, " or whatever. All the "elf friendly" kings of Nuemenor decided at some point in their lives they were ready to die and would hand over their crown to their heir then go lay down in their tomb and will themselves to die. This is what happens with Qwang Muriel's Father too. And once he allows himself to die, is when Pharazon says "surprise" we are getting married and I'm the King now".

So in the show the king is off stage somewhere being old and feeble and his daughter is ruling in his place? ok whatever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Have you even READ the Silmarillion? Its not an avalanche of action.
One of my pet leaves; having “read” it— it’s not a novel or even a collective of stories. It is a collection of interconnected tales structured like a pre-modern “bible.” It requires work to read it and decipher the interconnected individual narratives and their relationships.

It seriously is impossible to “read.”

it is akin to “reading” hieroglyphics and understanding their cultural context.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of my pet leaves; having “read” it— it’s not a novel or even a collective of stories. It is a collection of interconnected tales structured like a pre-modern “bible.” It requires work to read it and decipher the interconnected individual narratives and their relationships.

It seriously is impossible to “read.”

it is akin to “reading” hieroglyphics and understanding their cultural context.
It isn't nearly as bad as you describe, at least for me. I loved the Silmarillion, its only real failing is that the events told were far to distant from LotR. It was an interesting tale of how the Silmarils affected the world.

As an aside, if you like electronica music, try listening to the albums War of Sound (Silmarillion) and The Bitter End (Lord of the Rings) based. Nothing amazing, and not for everyone, but I liked them enough to buy them. ;p

• 1Like

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Thats another thing, there SHOULD be no "old king in prison, too old to rule, " or whatever. All the "elf friendly" kings of Nuemenor decided at some point in their lives they were ready to die and would hand over their crown to their heir then go lay down in their tomb and will themselves to die. This is what happens with Qwang Muriel's Father too. And once he allows himself to die, is when Pharazon says "surprise" we are getting married and I'm the King now".

So in the show the king is off stage somewhere being old and feeble and his daughter is ruling in his place? ok whatever.
Tolkien is a bit flakey and extremely vague on this himself. The show only maintains adaptorial rights to the LoTR appendices (presumably), and all they say of this is "Tar-Palantir attempted to amend the evil; but it was too late, and there was rebellion and strife in Numenor. When he died, his nephew, leader of the rebellion, seized the sceptre, and became King Ar-Pharazon." That's it. Miriel barely features even the briefest of mentions in the appendices.

The Silmarillion goes into more detail, with Palantir's brother taking leadership of the King's Men and working against him, but there's no explicit mention of a full rebellion. Tar-Palantir grew "darkened with grief" and indeed spent most of his time secluded in a tower until he died.

Based on this, the show hasn't completely broken from the books yet, but given Tar-Miriel is shown dressed for battle amongst soldiers in promo material, she's clearly getting the girl power treatment. It would be funny if they fully role-swap her with Ar-Pharazon, letting her bring Sauron to heel only to set up the complete destruction of Numenor. That would sure be a feather in the cap of feminism.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's 5 seasons and they have 4 events to cover - Ring Forging, Sauron's initial defeat, Sa

So we are getting Annatar then, it's confirmed. Thing is, if the teasers are legit, a shaved head isn't sexy.

Tolkien described Sauron as being exceptionally beautiful during the Second Age.

Enough to bend the elves of Eregion to his will and deceive them.

They trusted Sauron, in large part, because of his knowledge, but also because of his physical form he used as Annatar.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tolkien is a bit flakey and extremely vague on this himself. The show only maintains adaptorial rights to the LoTR appendices (presumably), and all they say of this is "Tar-Palantir attempted to amend the evil; but it was too late, and there was rebellion and strife in Numenor. When he died, his nephew, leader of the rebellion, seized the sceptre, and became King Ar-Pharazon." That's it. Miriel barely features even the briefest of mentions in the appendices.

The Silmarillion goes into more detail, with Palantir's brother taking leadership of the King's Men and working against him, but there's no explicit mention of a full rebellion. Tar-Palantir grew "darkened with grief" and indeed spent most of his time secluded in a tower until he died.

Based on this, the show hasn't completely broken from the books yet, but given Tar-Miriel is shown dressed for battle amongst soldiers in promo material, she's clearly getting the girl power treatment. It would be funny if they fully role-swap her with Ar-Pharazon, letting her bring Sauron to heel only to set up the complete destruction of Numenor. That would sure be a feather in the cap of feminism.
More like Miriel will be "advised" to bring Sauron back to be imprisoned on Numenor so he could be transferred to Valinor by the Elves, or something... but alas that evil white man Pharazon has other ideas.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So we are getting Annatar then, it's confirmed. Thing is, if the teasers are legit, a shaved head isn't sexy.

Tolkien described Sauron as being exceptionally beautiful during the Second Age.

Enough to bend the elves of Eregion to his will and deceive them.

They trusted Sauron, in large part, because of his knowledge, but also because of his physical form he used as Annatar.
Sir, what could be more beautiful than a man who wants to be a woman playing as a male!?

spronk

FPS noob
Sir, what could be more beautiful than a man who wants to be a woman playing as a male!?
ROP_AreThoseTitties.jpg

damn-it-bobby-what-in-the-hell.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The description of Annatar in the books is very specific.

He wasn't an abomination.

That wasn't until he became Sauron,

Which means "Abominable" when translated.

The Rings of Power showrunners are ass backwards on this one.

So, either they are skipping the forging of the rings by Annatar, or just making Sauron the Abominable right from the beginning.

Either way, its a violation of the source material. For multiple reasons.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
WTF is this supposed to be?

I'm not watching this mess, but I have a dipshit friend that is and he deserve all the harassment I can throw his way.

I'm guessing Sauron is shape shifting into female forms and they'll declare him the first fantasy transgender character

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
WTF is this supposed to be?

I'm not watching this mess, but I have a dipshit friend that is and he deserve all the harassment I can throw his way.
That's from a movie called Splice.

And the Slim Shady he/she/whatever the fuck it is isn't Sauron/Annatar, it's probably a priest from a Morgoth cult.