The Lord of the Rings

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Really into this so far.

Great effects and excellent set design. Whoever is directing the settings has a clear and believable vision of Arda. Costumes are very good for TV and really do the job.

Pacing is slow so far but that makes sense considering they’re setting up a 40+ hour narrative and have to give so much background. The compression of the timeline for TV purposes while still staying true to the spirit of the second age events so far is appreciated.

Dwarves were great and I think the Queen was acted with the right ‘tone’ I’d imagine for a female Dwarf. Elves are believably ancient and dignified without being totally faggy like in the Jackson treatment. The roughshod precursors to the Hobbits are also really well done and I dig the whole primitive/nomadic angle. Seeing the development of Hobbit traditions in some of the scenes is a nice touch. The Orcs are excellent thus far.

The acting is passable and I think there’s pretty decent chemistry between Elrond and Galadriel as presented.

I’m excited to watch more.
1388829191742.jpg

• 11Like
  • 3Solidarity
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 17 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Really into this so far.

Great effects and excellent set design. Whoever is directing the settings has a clear and believable vision of Arda. Costumes are very good for TV and really do the job.

Pacing is slow so far but that makes sense considering they’re setting up a 40+ hour narrative and have to give so much background. The compression of the timeline for TV purposes while still staying true to the spirit of the second age events so far is appreciated.

Dwarves were great and I think the Queen was acted with the right ‘tone’ I’d imagine for a female Dwarf. Elves are believably ancient and dignified without being totally faggy like in the Jackson treatment. The roughshod precursors to the Hobbits are also really well done and I dig the whole primitive/nomadic angle. Seeing the development of Hobbit traditions in some of the scenes is a pleasant thing. The Orcs are excellent thus far.

The acting is passable and I think there’s pretty decent chemistry between Elrond and Galadriel as presented.

I’m excited to watch more.
troll dancing GIF

• 8Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Elves are believably ancient and dignified without being totally faggy like in the Jackson treatment.

I'm of the camp that says this show isn't as bad as some are making it out to be, but this is really what you took away from the elves? Jesus christ.

I don't know what service model the black robot elf is, but he has no on-screen presence or character at all, and most of the elves act like huge babies. Gallatrondriel is the only believable elf, and most of her choices feel like random insanity more than something dignified. The elves are definitely the low point of the show.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I'm of the camp that says this show isn't as bad as some are making it out to be, but this is really what you took away from the elves? Jesus christ.

I don't know what service model the black robot elf is, but he has no on-screen presence or character at all, and most of the elves act like huge babies. Gallatrondriel is the only believable elf, and most of her choices feel like random insanity more than something dignified. The elves are definitely the low point of the show.

Yeah diversity hire elf is the worst of the performances for sure. I’m enjoying the rest though, especially after the goofy bullshit that was Elrond & Legolas in the Jackson films. That dialogue - holy fuck.

edit: oh god I just remembered Arwen hahahahahaha

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Elves are the thing Jackson got the most right out of everything he adapted and you think RoP did a better job?

lol

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Caliane

I just watched the 3 episodes and didn't read any reviews or spoilers.

What a flaming POS show.

1/10 is too high.

Dumpster fire, garbage. FU amazon..

Seriously pissed that they could butcher JRRT like this.

Anyone sticking up for this shit is on my list.

ON FKN SITE.
be sure to leave a review on amazon to make up for having giving them viewing numbers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I like to imagine there is an Amazon data analyst somewhere looking at my purchases/movie selections over the years and wondering why I haven’t even bothered to watch one episode of Wheel of Time or Rings of Power.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I like to imagine there is an Amazon data analyst somewhere looking at my purchases/movie selections over the years and wondering why I haven’t even bothered to watch one episode of Wheel of Time or Rings of Power.

They're too busy trying to figure out why 1/4th the viewing audience wasn't moving with expediency to watch Episode 2.

• 2Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Maybe it's because Lanx Lanx refunds so often, no time to check.
Like one of my first jobs I did returns at a retail store that sold holloween costumes. Day after holloween all the lanx's would come back and return their kids costumes saying they were defective.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Like one of my first jobs I did returns at a retail store that sold holloween costumes. Day after holloween all the lanx's would come back and return their kids costumes saying they were defective.
today i learned Furry celebrates Holloween.
iu

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
What I find refreshing is there is actually meaningful scenes with a good build that tell you more about the different cultures. Durin stuff in particular was very well done and it’s not all action shitshow like the hobbit films were , or even lotr to some extent . Definitely best looking cgi I’ve ever seen , other than the warg. watched that scene a few times and it’s just so off looking . Is there something to that or just crappy ? Imagine having done that creature , looks so out of place lol.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
First two episodes had me pausing near the end to see how much time was left.

I actually watched the entire third episode without pausing. Improvement? Is this show going to make it?

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
First two episodes had me pausing near the end to see how much time was left.

I actually watched the entire third episode without pausing. Improvement? Is this show going to make it?

second season is already filming right now, I doubt we'll really know about whether seasons 3-5 happen for a year or two (the show is planned as 5 seasons). These kind of shows have long, long timeframes of success or failure. Once all the episodes have dropped by late October, will word of mouth drive a ton of normies to sub to amazon in the winter or not? When season 2 starts, will amazon see a huge uptick in new subs or not?

Those are the metrics that will drive the decisions, not these silly "omg the show dropped 11% in viewership 24 hours after episode 4 dropped, ITS OVER" that retard youtubers content farm over.

By contrast we'll see at least 3-4 seasons of House of the Dragon, the important metric there was "will people come back to see this shit after Game of Thrones or just stay away?" and 20m viewers for the first episode is a resounding success. The ceiling is the 46m viewers that tuned in for the final season of Game of Thrones, and I'd expect HOTD gets closer to those kind of numbers around season 3. By comparison Euphoria, HBOs other biggest show, was hitting 16m viewers for its second (current) season from 6.6m for its first season, so numbers jump up MASSIVELY for popular (?) shows in seasons. GoT started at like 2m viewers for first season.

Quality/user ratings have nothing to do with money, the highest rated network shows (outside sports) is shit like Americas Got Talent and Big Brother, just all reality shows.

Tolkien hated America anyways and he was sadly very right
Tolkien_liked_Hitler.jpg

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
second season is already filming right now, I doubt we'll really know about whether seasons 3-5 happen for a year or two (the show is planned as 5 seasons). These kind of shows have long, long timeframes of success or failure. Once all the episodes have dropped by late October, will word of mouth drive a ton of normies to sub to amazon in the winter or not? When season 2 starts, will amazon see a huge uptick in new subs or not?

Those are the metrics that will drive the decisions, not these silly "omg the show dropped 11% in viewership 24 hours after episode 4 dropped, ITS OVER" that retard youtubers content farm over.

By contrast we'll see at least 3-4 seasons of House of the Dragon, the important metric there was "will people come back to see this shit after Game of Thrones or just stay away?" and 20m viewers for the first episode is a resounding success. The ceiling is the 46m viewers that tuned in for the final season of Game of Thrones, and I'd expect HOTD gets closer to those kind of numbers around season 3. By comparison Euphoria, HBOs other biggest show, was hitting 16m viewers for its second (current) season from 6.6m for its first season, so numbers jump up MASSIVELY for popular (?) shows.

Quality/user ratings have nothing to do with money, the highest rated network shows (outside sports) is shit like Americas Got Talent and Big Brother, just all reality shows.

View attachment 433137
There are two other factors in this being renewed:

1) Bezos has "fuck you" money and may just want it renewed for his own benefit.

2) SJWs are all about capturing critical nodes of infrastructure like in a military invasion. Tolkien is one of the largest prizes in our cultural infrastructure, it may just be worth losing a lot of money to keep it occupied.