The Mandalorian

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
My biggest suspension of disbelief is all the megafauna that still exists on planets in a galaxy spanning interstellar civilization that has persisted for almost 20,000 years. All these giant monsters would have been hunted to extinction by rich thrillseekers and big game hunters a long ass time ago.
The cantos has a good explanation for that, which I think could apply to the Star Wars universe. Megafauna are highly protected both by quotas and government protection and the fact that tech to hunt them isn’t exactly widely available. Some character spends a while on a planet hearing how damn scary some mega ocean monster is, how it’s impossible to go low enough in the ocean to where they mainly are, ect. But when the government in that universe needs to go down there they just blast the shit out of the monsters, which can’t even hurt the space ships that descend to the ocean floor with shields up.

It’s probably not best to think about it too much, though. Big monsters are supposed to be kinda rare, but we follow the exceptional events of people who live lives completely unlike the random background npcs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
"We must follow it back to the nest" as Roid Mando takes off after the dragon, knowing the jet packs don't have enough fuel to follow it.

When they both sputter down to the ground..."This always happens when we try to follow it back to it's nest"

"Jogga say what?!?" "How many times has this shit happened?!?" "Yall just walk home and go to bed all the other times?"
2023-03-22 22.05.47 www.google.com 7d86602835e0.png

• 4Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
the plot holes in the show just serve to remind me how good the writing in Andor is.
I've enjoyed the Mando show but yeah, you have to suspend disbelief constantly to enjoy it. Like Burns Burns says the whole jet fuel can't melt steel dragons is sooo sloppy. They just needed a way for Starbuck to assert dominance and show genius and that was the first way they could come up with. The entire scene of a bunch of Mandalorianss hanging out in bum fuck egypt shooting water and getting picked off by desert monsters is so ludicrous and would be way clearer if they spend even a small amount of time explaining it or developing that idea a bit more. Mando starts off as a mercenary that does jobs for $$/Veskar and returns it, but literally everyone else in that camp seems like a lay-a-bout moron.

Anyway, you just have to enjoy it for what it is, but Andor kinda shows that it doesn't have be the way.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was watchable but, yeah, this was Boba Fett levels of writing.

I mean, how long did that kid stay in big birds' guts? No blasters, no jetpacks... I was hoping one of the Mandos would fall off the cliff and stay silent all the way down till they hit the ground. That would have shown how well trained and badass they were. Instead we get Jesse Ventura Mando running into the nest and getting attacked and then all hell breaks loose with blasters and jetpacks! We know they have knives because they were training with them, why weren't they tooled up for a bit of melee mayhem?

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think my suspension of belief is on by default and provides a huge blind spot when I watch TV now. I didn't pick up on a lot of legit things people have brought up and it's making me think how utterly subconsciously dejected modern TV writing has made me.

• 1Worf

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
"We must follow it back to the nest" as Roid Mando takes off after the dragon, knowing the jet packs don't have enough fuel to follow it.

When they both sputter down to the ground..."This always happens when we try to follow it back to it's nest"

"Jogga say what?!?" "How many times has this shit happened?!?" "Yall just walk home and go to bed all the other times?"
View attachment 465121
How else would they show how smart and capable the Strong Female Character is?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
How else would they show how smart and capable the Strong Female Character is?
Or, by the looks of it, the covert doesn't have a ship to chase after it and Bo-Katan does? Which is probably why they kept chasing in jet packs.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Or, by the looks of it, the covert doesn't have a ship to chase after it and Bo-Katan does? Which is probably why they kept chasing in jet packs.
Because they arent aware that Mando and Bo-Katan are present and have ships?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I think my suspension of belief is on by default and provides a huge blind spot when I watch TV now. I didn't pick up on a lot of legit things people have brought up and it's making me think how utterly subconsciously dejected modern TV writing has made me.
It really does a lot to undermine our last two seasons of mando and what we’ve come to think of Mandalorians as. They are pretty much portrayed as bumbling idiots this episode. Sure if you had never seen the thing before I can see get caught unawares, but they simultaneously knew a lot about how the dragon would react to everything while at the same time setting up zero precautions to deal with it despite it snatching multiple people. It makes them like storm troopers, except without the excuse that an imperial commander could use along the lines of “who cares if some stormtroopers die?”

All of that plays to undermine the strong female lead they already established with the armorer, as she ultimately is also the leader of this incompetence. I don’t like where this show is going in becoming the Bo Karen show. It’s like their writers have forgotten what made the first two seasons enjoyable and fun. I haven’t given up on it yet and I don’t think it’s trash, but they really need to shitcan the writers behind this.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Because they arent aware that Mando and Brockton are present and have ships?
Or it was a Dad chasing after his kid in the moment and Mando following cuz he didn't know?

Lol.. Anytime a female character does anything it's straight to that narrative. Could it also be that she is also probably more experienced than everyone on that beach besides the Armorer. With backstory in Clone Wars and Rebels to back it up?

I can agree that some of the writing can be sloppy. But OMG a character did some quick thinking and she's a woman, I have to be offended gets old.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Or it was a Dad chasing after his kid in the moment and Mando following cuz he didn't know?

Lol.. Anytime a female character does anything it's straight to that narrative. Could it also be that she is also probably more experienced than everyone on that beach besides the Armorer. With backstory in Clone Wars and Rebels to back it up?

I can agree that some of the writing can be sloppy. But OMG a character did some quick thinking and she's a woman, I have to be offended gets old.
Its not "anytime a female character does anything", but when the story is fucking stupid and makes zero sense then its clearly written for ideological reasons.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You went straight to:

Maybe your insecurity is showing.
Are you fucking retarded? How is a single instance the same thing as "anytime"? The discussion was about how dumb the jetpack chase scene was considering they knew that they would run out of fuel. They all know there are two ships available. They still chased using jet packs knowing that they would never get anywhere close to their target. This writing makes sense to you? What explanation can there be other than the narrative was written in this way in order to elevate the female character? Fuck out of here with your bullshit.

Cybsled

FOH gets triggered again

It basically is all a vehicle to have Bo-Katan rediscover what being a leader of Mandalore is. She was more or less born into her position, disregarded rival sects, and brushed off the old superstitions and religion. Now she has lost everything and is rediscovering what she missed when she was younger. She is essentially getting another heroes journey and I suspect the end result will be her trying to marry the rigid dogma of the cult with a more modern dogma

We could chalk up the jet pack thing to bad writing though

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Are you fucking retarded? How is a single instance the same thing as "anytime"? The discussion was about how dumb the jetpack chase scene was considering they knew that they would run out of fuel. They all know there are two ships available. They still chased using jet packs knowing that they would never get anywhere close to their target. This writing makes sense to you? What explanation can there be other than the narrative was written in this way in order to elevate the female character? Fuck out of here with your bullshit.
I enjoyed when they commented on how stupid their decision was when they said they always run out of fuel… not to mention fuel mechanics in Star Wars always come off as retarded writers picked the easiest way to advance the plot.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Trigger GIF by MOODMAN

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed when they commented on how stupid their decision was when they said they always run out of fuel… not to mention fuel mechanics in Star Wars always come off as retarded writers picked the easiest way to advance the plot.
The scene was so dumb that it demands an alternative explanation.