The Mandalorian

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Chuk is the Jim Cramer of entertainment criticism.

• 14Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 16 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't mind side stories, but that was too long of a side story. I could go with that if they broke it up into pieces and spread it out over a few episodes, but doing a big bulky injection into the middle of a Mando adventure is pretty annoying.

I think that's a fair comment to be honest.

As the episode was around 20 mins longer than the previous I wonder if we still had similar amounts of Mando screentime though.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
What I learned about Coruscant is that it has fucking terrible CGI. This shit is last decade. Get out of here. Yet it looked so good in andor.
Andor used sets, with CGI to augment them. As far as I know, Mando is still a fully Volume shot show, so its mostly CGI with little bits of real things to augment that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
Regard Bo-Katan, I think she will leverage the mythosaur to try to gain power over the group. Since they are ultra traditional, she could easily use that to cement a place of power
I couldn't tell in episode 2, but I assume Bo-Katan gave Mando the darksaber back. It wasn't obvious even though I watched the episode twice. Seemed she could have taken it back as he lost it in combat and she won it back? Now that they've shown she's lost all her followers, even the few she had in S2, I'm sure she sees the coven as an opportunity potentially and her wheels are now spinning after being accepted. Her despair at the scattering of the Mandalore people may now have hope, especially with the darksaber right next to her and the knowledge of the Mythosaur and how the coven/cult would react to its existence on a planet that is actual habitable.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I couldn't tell in episode 2, but I assume Bo-Katan gave Mando the darksaber back. It wasn't obvious even though I watched the episode twice. Seemed she could have taken it back as he lost it in combat and she won it back? Now that they've shown she's lost all her followers, even the few she had in S2, I'm sure she sees the coven as an opportunity potentially and her wheels are now spinning after being accepted. Her despair at the scattering of the Mandalore people may now have hope, especially with the darksaber right next to her and the knowledge of the Mythosaur and how the coven/cult would react to its existence on a planet that is actual habitable.
technically she won the darksaber already when the robot spider thing took it off Mando and she bested the robot spider, basically that dumb contrivance they used in Harry Potter.
Chuk is the real life version of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.
yes, i have the sin of noticing things. i dont sit around my house wiuth a baby yoda doll in my lap while i cry to an episode of Andor. i'm a real person.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't mind side stories, but that was too long of a side story. I could go with that if they broke it up into pieces and spread it out over a few episodes, but doing a big bulky injection into the middle of a Mando adventure is pretty annoying.
I don't care that much and I'm probably in the minority on this but if a TV show is going to have a POV character that doesn't interact with the main POV character I'd much prefer they occupy a large contiguous space in an episode instead of flipping between characters. Such that I'd prefer they get 45 minutes of a single episode like in episode 3 instead of being split up into several 15 minute clips in multiple episodes. Even if they do a good job of the POV change (and don't use it like a 90s drama series commercial break and change POVs at peak tension), you're always going to have a POV you prefer and changing from that POV to one you don't is irritating.

The Coruscant scene wasn't super exciting or well done, but it was enjoyable as a star wars fan (like most here) to see Coruscant in a new light and to see a New Republic take on what amnesty looks like. Katy M O'Brian did pretty well as a bulldyke introvert working outside her normal skillset to manipulate some nerd into getting into a mind flayer, but the whole thing was a litttttle contrived since I'm pretty sure she could've just shanked him instead. Like Xevy Xevy I thought this was a lead up to some Palpatine cloning, but maybe it'll go that way anyway since they seem to have quite a bit invested into Dr. Pershing.

Last edited:

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

I think the worst part was it was 40 minutes of "who the fuck are these people?" all for nothing but a reveal that they/them is likely an Imperial/Thrawn plant. That reveal did not need 40 minutes of screen time setup.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Killing Pershing would have been easier, but instead they used eliminating him to keep an imbedded mole in the organization

If he was flat out murdered, then there would presumably have been a bigger investigation than “shit, this imperial tech fried this dude’s brains. Chalk up another bit of imperial tech we need to scrap”

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't care that much and I'm probably in the minority on this but if a TV show is going to have a POV character that doesn't interact with the main POV character I'd much prefer they occupy a large contiguous space in an episode instead of flipping between characters. Such that I'd prefer they get 45 minutes of a single episode like in episode 3 instead of being split up into several 15 minute clips in multiple episodes. Even if they do a good job of the POV change (and don't use it like a 90s drama series commercial break and change POVs at peak tension), you're always going to have a POV you prefer and changing from that POV to one you don't is irritating.
I think one of the things The Wire does better then any other film is the way they interweave stories. Tons of containerized stories and one off side pieces where the characters never, or rarely, interacted with each other outside their scene yet it was brilliantly fluid and interwoven.

• 1Like

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
More Katie Sackhoff is a good thing, just hope they dont ruin it with some love arc.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I couldn't tell in episode 2, but I assume Bo-Katan gave Mando the darksaber back.

I specifically watched for this in the episode. You see him attach it to his belt when he wakes up and gathers his shit together to leave.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
bo-katan gave din the saber back in the last episode. i wasn't looking for it, but i definitely noticed it. when she was wielding it to free din, i was actively wondering if they were going to show her being hesitant to give it back, but when bo-katan set up that campfire with din's stuff laid out, the darksaber was right next to his blaster.

i'm interested to see what bo does moving forward. she specifically didn't tell din about the mythosaur... she doesn't seem to be the kind of person that doubts herself, so i don't think it's that she's not sure if she saw it or not... i think she understands that while she and din are friends, he's standing directly in her way. mando isn't the kind of person to see a mythosaur and think, hey, i bet if i tame that thing i can bring all the mandalorians under heel, but bo-katan is and she's not empathetic enough to realize that not everyone thinks the way she does.

it's also entirely possible that seeing the mythosaur didn't make her think of conquest, but rather it was a deeply spiritual moment for her and she's trying to come to terms with the moment. then on top of being welcomed wholesale by the covert (it's covert, not coven... they aren't witches), i wonder if she's looking at din's group as something she COULD call her own. she referred to that group as fanatics or cultists or something, i can't remember specifically, but she wasn't kind towards it. it's possible she could be changing her viewpoint on that and understanding WHY din is so attached.

or she could be thinking about using the covert as a replacement for the darksaber. they don't seem to hold the darksaber in the same regard as the other mando's. paz vizla wants it, though it's hard to tell if he wants it because of his own family relationship with the saber and not because he thinks wielding it will put him in charge of all the mandalorians. bo-katan might be thinking about using the covert to control the rest of the mandalorians.

but again, i don't think it's a coincidence that in the same episode that we saw bo's ancestral home destroyed she's greeted with a new family.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I think the mythosaur was the start of her journey back to "the way" and we see it continue in this weeks episode, i guess by seasons end she wields the Dark Saber and is leading the small group + maybe a bunch more mandos/people convert and join

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think the mythosaur was the start of her journey back to "the way" and we see it continue in this weeks episode, i guess by seasons end she wields the Dark Saber and is leading the small group + maybe a bunch more mandos/people convert and join
i don't think she'll get it back, outside of small moments like episode 2. ultimately i think din is going to be the saber's caretaker until grogu takes the creed

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
technically she won the darksaber already when the robot spider thing took it off Mando and she bested the robot spider, basically that dumb contrivance they used in Harry Potter.
lol this isn't the Elder Wand. It is supposed to be 1 on 1 combat.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
i don't think she'll get it back, outside of small moments like episode 2. ultimately i think din is going to be the saber's caretaker until grogu takes the creed
Everyone keeps saying that, but the Darksaber is way too big for Grogu. Go back to when Luke offers him Yoda's saber and the Darksaber hilt is like 4 times longer.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
We tried to watch this weeks episode last night and the episode would start and run for 3 seconds and then pause. Eventually it would go to a black screen with the Disney log in the center. Anyone else experience this at any point? Figured we would try again tonight or just cancel disney and bootleg it if its a reoccurring problem.
Almost every time I watch something on Disney+ this happens. Seems to be regardless of device/os/brand. I'm beginning to think their server is an old 386 in the freezer next to walt's frozen head.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
it's also entirely possible that seeing the mythosaur didn't make her think of conquest, but rather it was a deeply spiritual moment for her and she's trying to come to terms with the moment. then on top of being welcomed wholesale by the covert (it's covert, not coven... they aren't witches), i wonder if she's looking at din's group as something she COULD call her own. she referred to that group as fanatics or cultists or something, i can't remember specifically, but she wasn't kind towards it. it's possible she could be changing her viewpoint on that and understanding WHY din is so attached.
This was my take. Bo was shown to be extremely irreverent in contrast to the Mandalorian cult. Her being confronted by the mythosaur shook her enough to make her not immediately say there's a mythsaur down there right after making fun of the statue description talking about the mythosaur. Not that it convinced her to live in some shithole cave with her sweaty ass helm crusty mando buds but the mythosaur, dark saber, homeworld being breathable, her hhouse on the other moon/planet getting btfo and the cult accepting her is all to transform her from a cynic into someone that can lead the mandos back to their planet. Or something.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the worst part was it was 40 minutes of "who the fuck are these people?" all for nothing but a reveal that they/them is likely an Imperial/Thrawn plant. That reveal did not need 40 minutes of screen time setup.
I think this is a pretty fair take. I liked the Coruscant side story, but it did seem to drag a bit at times. I think this might be a fault of the eye rolling cast of those stories, or just maybe their flat acting abilities.