The Mandela Effect

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That Fruit of the Loom one is really, really fucking with me. But I remember whenever we'd be driving around 495 when I was a kid, there was a sign for a MD farmer's market that had a big ol' cornucopia on it with a bunch of fruit. Have to wonder if that's what I'm confusing it with.
yes, everyone remembers it this way on the left. why something exactly that if it never happened, is intriguing.
iu

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Wow, it's time stamped 2006 but I remember it pre dating you tube and laughing about it with friends in 2001-2002

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Rundown of basically all the things that should fall under the category.
Haven't finished it yet, cuz it's longer than it needs to be. Which kind of leans towards something being afoot. A ton of them are whatever, but I don't know if that disproves anything in either direction. FWIW I totally remember fruit of the loom with the the horn, and the mandela death in jail for that matter.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Haven't finished it yet, cuz it's longer than it needs to be. Which kind of leans towards something being afoot. A ton of them are whatever, but I don't know if that disproves anything in either direction. FWIW I totally remember fruit of the loom with the the horn, and the mandela death in jail for that matter.
is there a written version somewhere?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, I'm 100% sure I remember Mandela dying in prison and Fruit of the Loom having the horn.

Most of the other things are whatever, some of them ring bells for me but could easily be faulty memory. Those two things in particular though I'm 100% on. Fruit of the Loom was how I found out what a cornucopia was because as a kid I asked about it and my mom told me it was a cornucopia. Which intrigued me as a thing with a bunch of food in it.

And yeah, her and a bunch of her friends were lamenting Mandela's death in 1988. I probably already went into it earlier in the thread. I have a particular stake in the Mandela Effect because in 1988 my mom was friends with relatives of Nelson Mandela who were going to school here, and I distinctly remember how upset they all were. That was when I found out what "tuberculosis" was and always had a fear of the word after that because that was the cause of death they were discussing.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
There's a chance that they were just wrong though in 1988. Someone started a rumor. The mandela thing itself never got me because back in those days I didn't give half a fuck about politics. If the rumor was from 88 I was a teenager in Jr high and just learning to be scared of girls.

I remember fruit of the loom having the cornucopia too. I have zero doubt that if I still had any of those old clothes with a tag intact I'd find the supposedly non-existent logo. Maybe we were all wearing some chinese knock off underwear?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

bolok

Trakanon Raider
I actually finished the whole video. Not exactly a quality production, lol. Oh well. Listen to it while doing chores or something. Some of them were more headscratchy- like hmm really? Maybe? Human memory is kinda shit, and corps spell a lot of shit stupid was the idea behind way too many of them.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There's a chance that they were just wrong though in 1988. Someone started a rumor. The mandela thing itself never got me because back in those days I didn't give half a fuck about politics. If the rumor was from 88 I was a teenager in Jr high and just learning to be scared of girls.

I remember fruit of the loom having the cornucopia too. I have zero doubt that if I still had any of those old clothes with a tag intact I'd find the supposedly non-existent logo. Maybe we were all wearing some chinese knock off underwear?
i remember as a kid seeing the fruit of the loom logo without cornucopia and asking people when they started making them with just the fruit. i can believe the shit memory thing, but i had never seen a cornucopia before that, how do you remember something you never saw before?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I don't know how I got around it. Seems like it middle school Mandela came up for a day, guessing when the state was trying to decide to have MLK day or not. Then later he talked to the graduation of the traditional/all black college.

Otto

i remember as a kid seeing the fruit of the loom logo without cornucopia and asking people when they started making them with just the fruit. i can believe the shit memory thing, but i had never seen a cornucopia before that, how do you remember something you never saw before?
I'm a little late here but I just learned today that Fruit of the Loom didn't have a cornucopia. I could've sworn it had that on the logo when I was a kid. I can picture Christmas Day getting Spider Man Underoos and pack of lame Fruit of the Loom with that logo.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
There's no fucking Mandela effect.

It's just people making assumptions about how things are spelled, or being ignorant of world facts, or mixing up TV shows and movies.

The fact that people think this is real is just proof that people have unreliable memories and are easily hypnotized.
* Mandala Effect.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Alright, World 1-1 definitely has a piranha plant. It was the first game I ever got to play, and I wasn't able to beat 1-1 because I was a little kid. I was totally enamored with the enemies in that level and went home and drew all of them in a notebook. Goomba, Koopa, and my favorite, the "Venus fly trap plant".

I think it's interesting how much of these MEs are corporate-related. Maybe these are just the symbols we're most likely to collectively misinterpret, due to their visibility. Or maybe this means the corporate world, specifically, has been vulnerable to meddling by future time travelers or something. Should that ever be invented, who will have access to it? The top 0.00001% of course, your Duponts and Vanderbilts, corporate heads who can tweak their logos in the past. Maybe a name change is in order for the Berenstein family for some reason. But why South Africa? Of all places, the one place significant enough to get a time-alteration in its leadership. No other world leader is widely remembered as having never been a world leader. South Africa's partnership with Israel on nukes is probably the most significant it has ever been on the world stage.

Or corporate logos are just the easiest to mass-misinterpret and people widely misunderstood news broadcasts and thought the TB killed Mandela.

Sevens

Log Wizard
yes, everyone remembers it this way on the left. why something exactly that if it never happened, is intriguing.
iu
Sorry, I 100% remember it as the one on the right

I also believe that this is linked closely to the Power of Suggestion and

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Sorry, I 100% remember it as the one on the right
you dont have to be sorry, its just how you remember it. i dont know why so many remember it with a cornucopia of all things. like i can see people remembering different positions of the fruit, but adding a random thing like a cornucopia is way too weird. the other thing that blew my mind is that the NES never needed to have its cartridges pushed down? why was it a feature then?

Sevens

Log Wizard
you dont have to be sorry, its just how you remember it. i dont know why so many remember it with a cornucopia of all things. like i can see people remembering different positions of the fruit, but adding a random thing like a cornucopia is way too weird. the other thing that blew my mind is that the NES never needed to have its cartridges pushed down? why was it a feature then?
I can honestly say I can see why people remember it with a cornucopia as a picture of a cornucopia with fruit is a very iconic picture so it would make sense to have it on the logo of FOTLs

Cornucopia.jpg