The Martian (2015)

iannis

Musty Nester
I remember reading it back when it was linked on FoH as a series of chapters on a webpage. It was a very good read. Like Wool was a very good read.

I think the movie will be ok. But it will be him just MacGuyvering the shit out of everything. Since that's basically the story. The book will still be better, as is so often the case.

I never got the book. I didn't even know he'd published in a not internet format. The discussion pages were critical to the enjoyment of that whole thing though. There was some really interesting shit on that webpage, from what I remember. I do remember some science nerds would comment, "Neat idea, but that wouldn't actually work because xzy" or "Hey yeah, that would probably actually halfass work". I wonder if he took that and edited around it when he published. Because really, it was more a novella than a book.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Well they didn't show when they rescue him, so there's that to look forward to.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's Ridley Scott so I'll watch it. The only thing to consider is whether to watch it in the theater or wait for the directors cut.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Did the director's cut of Prometheus turn out good? I haven't seen it.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I think the main issue with Matt Damon is just he is getting overused. I think if you look at each of his parts in a vacuum (ha!) they are all well done. But just about every actor has their own little signature style that, when seen over and over again it can start to feel like someone is just playing themselves over and over. Usually the actors that are great at disappearing into a role aren't leading men and are more of character actors. There are of course exceptions, but I think Damon is suffering from overuse more than anything.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I think the main issue with Matt Damon is just he is getting overused. I think if you look at each of his parts in a vacuum (ha!) they are all well done. But just about every actor has their own little signature style that, when seen over and over again it can start to feel like someone is just playing themselves over and over. Usually the actors that are great at disappearing into a role aren't leading men and are more of character actors. There are of course exceptions, but I think Damon is suffering from overuse more than anything.
Tom Cruise syndrome?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They should be using tom hanks in all these with varying degrees of retardation

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Latest Ridley Scott movies have nice casting and production, yet they're kinda bad to very bad quality wise, since American Gangster we had mediocre-to-shit-tier quality range with Robin Hood, Prometheus, The Counselor and Exodus. Since I'm a fan of his works I'd like The Martian to be a nice hit.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Having not read the book (and joining the legions about to pick it up on Audible) I kinda wish the trailer ended at the transmission 'can you see this' or whatever and then cut to the title card.

Otherwise looks great.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Accurate.

rrr_img_99907.png

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I like 2001 just fine and I'm about halfway through The Martian and I like it just fine as well.

If the movie comes out like the book I'll be surprised. I'm expecting it to end up closer to Promethus than to 2001.