The Martian (2015)

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Much like Edge of Tomorrow, the trailer finally got me off my ass to read the actual book.

I thought the book was great (on the higher-end of Scalzi) and the trailer is pretty faithful (then again, virtually everything that was wrong with Interstellar was in the stuff they didn't keep from the original screenplay). Judging from the deceptive wife-and-kid shot, they even keep the bits for the rest of the crew.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Forget Matt Damon, Kate Mara has the same shitty no-emotion face in everything I've seen her in.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm going to take a guess and say that the movie will be heavier on the psychology and lighter on the science than the book- but be otherwise pretty faithful.

Other than making Venkat Nigerian instead of Indian (for some reason).

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i did like the mcguyver stuff in apollo 13, i liked this trailer, cept for the for that fucking eeeeeeeeeeew sound effect thats in every trailer now since Inception. question and hopefully an answer without spoiler. so damon mcguyvers the martian base, gets that distress signal out and then just chills out for 4 years for the rescue mission? i was hoping he would mcguyver a ship to get himself home.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
i did like the mcguyver stuff in apollo 13, i liked this trailer, cept for the for that fucking eeeeeeeeeeew sound effect thats in every trailer now since Inception. question and hopefully an answer without spoiler. so damon mcguyvers the martian base, gets that distress signal out and then just chills out for 4 years for the rescue mission? i was hoping he would mcguyver a ship to get himself home.
He "Mcguyvers" a whole lot more than just the HAB (base). He actually does quite a few pretty amazing/ingenious things to survive (above and beyond Mcguyver stuff) in a ridiculously inhospitable environment. It's not just Damon's character, either. NASA has to try an overcome some virtually impossible challenges for the rescue attempt.

khorum

Murder Apologist
That's my biggest worry.
The antenna-rover hack was amazing but I can't see Ridley Scott converting an ASCII table into a clock dial for NASA to send a bios hack for the rover.
That's the hard sci-fi stuff that made the book amazing and it's exactly the sort of stuff hollywood cuts out for "broader appeal". I'd watch three hours of that shit. People who read the novel would lap it up. But Tiffany and her boo Darnell would whip out their phones start texting halfway through a scene like that.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Forget Matt Damon, Kate Mara has the same shitty no-emotion face in everything I've seen her in.
Considering that the book version of her is a weird, Asperger-y computer type that is revealed
to have been picked to eat the bodies of the rest of the crew to survive until the ship limps home
if anything goes wrong, no-emotion is likely the right vibe.

And I'm sure they will cut some of the tech out, but it looks like NASA will be pointing the rover in the direction of yes/no notes, which is still pretty damn nerdy for a big budget movie.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I read the book a month ago(because of this thread). It was a really awesome, quick read. Looking forward to the movie.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
"Tell the world, tell my family that I'm never going to stop fighting to make it home"

That line in the trailer.. that isn't in the book is it? I don't recall it.. Doesn't sound like something he would say..

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I doubt it. He's not very dramatic in the book. Just a wise ass.

khalid

Unelected Mod
That trailer made me make a mess in my pants.
frown.png