The Martian (2015)

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Amazon currently has the kindle version of the book on sale for $1.99.

The Martian: A Novel [Kindle Edition]
The book itself is free as an ePub directly from the author. I think there's a way to donate to him. It's just a bit much hearing him talk to Adam Savage about the book and how he set the price as low as possible on Amazon before it blew up and his actual proceeds from a sale is like $0.30.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'll go and see this opening night. I didn't even know this movie existed until about a week ago. Thanks Rerolled!

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Picked up the book last week as a friend recommended i read it as well as this forums responses to it. Finished it last night. Awesome book, really good pacing, love the science stuff in it. Not sure how they will be translating all that to the movie though, so that worries me. They will need to have Matt Damon narration or something (like The Wonder Years) otherwise so much stuff will be missed. Of course also need to keep in his humor, i literally laughed out loud at 95% of his jokes/wise cracks while reading this book.
Really looking forward to the movie, and if it sucks, hey, i read an awesome book
smile.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i don't read books, not my thing, waiting on the movie, happened on this interview,

khorum

Murder Apologist
i don't read books, not my thing, waiting on the movie, happened on this interview,
I just watched that whole thing and enjoyed it. Thanks for that. But you know they're talking about the sort of details that hollywood CUTS OUT of movies. That should've prompted you into reading the book since all the cool stuff in the book they mentioned---like Watney's 3-day process of detecting the storm or having him rename units of measure from kilowatts per sol to pirateninjas---are like AIDS to blockbuster film audiences.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For this movie, I'm going to see the movie first and then the book second for once.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That was an enjoyable read that became a relentless page-turner for the last 80 pages. Damn good book, can't wait for the movie.

And I definitely read all the Watney parts in Matt Damon's voice from Good Will Hunting. Fits pretty much dead on.

khorum

Murder Apologist
What the... what are RT's criteria for being recognized as a critic instead of an audience reviewer? That LWL site is just a couple snarky fags with a wordpress page.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Saw a screening tonight. I hope there's a nerdier/extended cut when it's released on Blu-Ray/digital. Enjoyed it but missed a lot of the charm that comes from how the book unfolds and the verbose detail and thought process behind some of the things that happen.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I can't blame them, the details and descriptions work well in a book but all that internal dialogue and thought process doesn't translate to a movie very well unless you use way too much narration and pointless exposition.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I agree, was just something I was hoping they could pull off with some good narration, instead you get to watch him do stuff and they skip over things like (book spoilers, naturally):

- Figuring out the amount and how to transport all the dirt
- Figuring out why the hab airlock explodes... it's just shot of the power box before he goes in, then boom, they don't really address any of the electrical stuff ever (powering pathfinder, etc)
- the entire O2/CO2 crisis where he's suddenly doing logs from the rover isn't even in the movie, probably just to streamline things more
- the over the top 'IM FUCKED AND IM GONNA DIE!' log entries don't really make it to the screen

In the end, it's just the 'read the book effect' imo. Rarely have been one of those people who've read the book (superhero movies don't count) and then seen the movie.

Will probably start listening to this again on Audible though and check it out again when it's released
smile.png

The 3D was good, even from the front row, heh. The screening had 80+ press and invited guests before us gofobo.com freeloiaders could be let in.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
It's a good methodical problem-solving movie that's nice to look at pretty much at all times and with a great cast. I'd need to see it again to get a better feel for pacing and stuff, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The theater we got tickets in only offers it in 3D, so that's good to hear. We are going Friday night.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Thanks Vvoid, always seems like a toss up on if the 3d is good or not in new movies.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Going to go again Friday, doesn't seem to be getting a lot of early ticket sales at my goto theater (can see all the reserved seats online)