The Matrix (1999)

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Never saw 4 personally, but I remember cliff notes being posted along these lines after it's release.

Lana Wachowski always hated how redpill was being used and appropriated, and she was in charge of Matrix 4 creative. Even going as far to fire Hugo Weaving from the project in a tantrum, which of course completely ruined the movie.

Nah I am sure it was ruined long before that.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Don't be fooled into thinking the Wachowskis had anything to do with The Matrix being good. It's a common story of the first one being good because they were still relative nobodies and didn't have much control over the project. As many people might guess they were already degenerate wannabe dickchoppers even back then as there are claims about both Neo and Switch having been originally planned to have different gendered Matrix avatars from their Zion bodies but the studio squashed the idea.

The indisputable inferiority of the sequels and the sad garbage they've made since demonstrates how little talent the Wachowskis actually had.

100% I don't even like referencing the other two because they felt so different.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Reminder they were cribbing from

1712446179520.png

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
they were already degenerate wannabe dickchoppers even back then
It didn't occur to me at the time of course, but once I heard they had gone tranny, the "residual self image" scene was obviously there to plant some seeds. God only knows what the script looked like in it's original form, but the version we got was subtle enough to slip past everyone's defenses.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i still think it was just a better version of Dark City, even using the same sets.
No Way Beer GIF by Busch

I remember going to see dark City in the theater back in high school on a double date. Everybody loved it, that's still a good movie despite the special effects maybe not standing up to scrutiny. It's a completely different movie though even if it's got similar things. But I think they're different enough that they can both exist and have their own message or whatever the hell you want to call it. The first matrix and dark city are both wonderful films, but once a noir detective story, and the others of kung fu action-packed deal.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
1712456798850.jpeg

I rewatched this one recently and it got better with time. Coming out like two months after The Matrix was brutal.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
While none of the Matrix's plot was original, it is still an insanely tightly edited movie with great dialogue and actors that truly committed to their respective parts. There are very few wasted minutes or lines or even shots in the entire movie. This is why it is great; it does not waste your time, every shot contributes to the overall effect of the movie and the pacing is fantastic.

The second two movies waste a ton of your fucking time, sometimes even INTENTIONALLY wasting your time, which makes them worse movies. They're definitely not bad movies though. Compared to say, SW eps 7-9, they still stick to the themes and premise, they just spend way too long pontificating about them.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Opposite for me.

I just can't stand that a character as cool as Morpheous has no arc, zero to do and is relegated to co-pilot. The kid lying about his age to get in the military and his whole fucking subplot is painfully boilerplate. It's like a parody.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
View attachment 523443

I rewatched this one recently and it got better with time. Coming out like two months after The Matrix was brutal.
Shit I remember seeing that one in the theater. To me it was the same quality level as Strange Days, which I watched last week again.

Two great films, and Vincent D'Onofrio was in both, I just remembered. He's a great actor and always helps to elevate a film even if it's B-,tier or whatever.

The 90s had some pretty good sci-fi coming out, even if the productions weren't top notch.

Dark City
Strange Days
The 13th Floor
Screamers
Johnny Mnemonic
Fire in the Sky
Event Horizon

And obviously The Matrix. It used to be a time where you could always go to the movie theater and consistently see something worth watching. Give me that every movie was going to pan out the way you expected it, but I'd like to say there was probably a 75% chance you would at least walk out of the theater feeling it didn't piss your money away. Nowadays there's nothing I want to see at the cinema, but I sometimes get excited for low budget in the things on some of the streaming platforms. There's a hell of a lot of good stuff coming out and I really like to know production wise what some of these budgets are for some of the recent horror movies I've watched.

Anyways didn't mean to get off course, I agree it's a great movie 😉

• 3Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
No Way Beer GIF by Busch

I remember going to see dark City in the theater back in high school on a double date. Everybody loved it, that's still a good movie despite the special effects maybe not standing up to scrutiny. It's a completely different movie though even if it's got similar things. But I think they're different enough that they can both exist and have their own message or whatever the hell you want to call it. The first matrix and dark city are both wonderful films, but once a noir detective story, and the others of kung fu action-packed deal.
high tech entities keeping the population asleep with an illusion world until ONE such person comes along to stop the high tech creatures with his own high tech powers that top theirs and then wake them up to the reality that they are in a futuristic prison. which movie is that?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
high tech entities keeping the population asleep with an illusion world until ONE such person comes along to stop the high tech creatures with his own high tech powers that top theirs and then wake them up to theside of sci-fi reality that they are in a futuristic prison. which movie is that?
I said both have similar themes, but they're different genres, one being a mystery detective noir, and the other a action packed Chinese cinema deal.

Hell, Dark City verges on the side of sci-fi horror. The Matrix does not, even if the setting is horrific.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I said both have similar themes, but they're different genres, one being a mystery detective noir, and the other a action packed Chinese cinema deal.

Hell, Dark City verges on the side of sci-fi horror. The Matrix does not, even if the setting is horrific.
I dunno. I feel like that's splitting hairs. The Matrix even use the exact same sets as Dark City. Same overall story. Perhaps it's homage. Aren't both ripoff of that Phillip K Dick story?

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
The kid lying about his age to get in the military and his whole fucking subplot is painfully boilerplate. It's like a parody.
God I forgot how much I hated everything about that. Revolutions was really fucking terrible.

• 3Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'd like to take this time to remind everyone that our very own Lithose wrote a nice, satisfying alternative ending to Revolutions in this very thread that completely eclipses most of Hollywood's last 2 decades of storytelling. Go look it up if you are interested.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'd like to take this time to remind everyone that our very own Lithose wrote a nice, satisfying alternative ending to Revolutions in this very thread that completely eclipses most of Hollywood's last 2 decades of storytelling. Go look it up if you are interested.
The ending is really the main good part about Revolutions. Just because most people didn't pay enough attention during the second movie to understand the ending of the third doesn't mean it's bad. The trilogy does not handhold you through the ending, which is a good thing: it requires paying attention.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The ending is really the main good part about Revolutions. Just because most people didn't pay enough attention during the second movie to understand the ending doesn't mean it's bad.

Being the bright spot in a bad movie doesn't make the whole thing better, it just means that it was a little less awful than the rest of the trash it was surrounded with. Most of us were in our teens or twenties when this and the Prequels came out and our minds were still young enough that we struggled to deal with these poor entries into series that we had grown to idolize. I can still remember having the same feeling when I left both Matrix: Revolution and Phantom Menace: my rational mind was telling me that these movies were dogshit but my love of Star Wars and the original Matrix was shouting at me that I just didn't get it. Turns out they truly were dogshit.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The ending is really the main good part about Revolutions. Just because most people didn't pay enough attention during the second movie to understand the ending of the third doesn't mean it's bad. The trilogy does not handhold you through the ending, which is a good thing: it requires paying attention.

Revolutions was a shit movie, through and through, that could have payed Revelations off but instead chose to take the stupidest route to wrapping up the story. I guess my phrasing was ambiguous, so let me clarify. Lithose wrote an alternative ending to the Matrix saga that replaced Revolutions, not simply a different ending to Revolutions the movie, and it is with great joy that I take his words as the canonical ending to the story.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Being the bright spot in a bad movie doesn't make the whole thing better, it just means that it was a little less awful than the rest of the trash it was surrounded with. Most of us were in our teens or twenties when this and the Prequels came out and our minds were still young enough that we struggled to deal with these poor entries into series that we had grown to idolize. I can still remember having the same feeling when I left both Matrix: Revolution and Phantom Menace: my rational mind was telling me that these movies were dogshit but my love of Star Wars and the original Matrix was shouting at me that I just didn't get it. Turns out they truly were dogshit.
Kids still love the Phantom Menace. That movie was smarter than any of us want to give it credit for too. For all the faults (mostly dialogue/acting problems, not plot or theme problems) of Eps 1+2, combined they create a story full of goofy, kid-friendly characters about how easily complacent societies can fall into fascism.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Picard
  • 1Double Worf