The Matrix reboot/remake

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
seriously? the original matrix was a gamechanger movie. part 2 was just a normal sequel with some extraordinary well done set pieces. 3 was a trainwreck though. no getting around that.

Yeah, the acting in the first one was so bad.

tenor.gif

The premise was good. They used the circular photography technique. Which had already been used. On commercials. By the Gap. That was really the most ground-breaking effect in the movie. So...mediocre to bad acting. Already used special effects. Not game changing.

Interesting premise, though.

After the first movie, it nose dived into shit.

• 2Salty
  • 2Like
  • 1GreNeg
Reactions: 4 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Yeah, the acting in the first one was so bad.

tenor.gif

The premise was good. They used the circular photography technique. Which had already been used. On commercials. By the Gap. That was really the most ground-breaking effect in the movie. So...mediocre to bad acting. Already used special effects. Not game changing.

Interesting premise, though.

After the first movie, it nose dived into shit.

1st movie was game changing. Nose dived to shit is accurate for the rest.

BULLET TIME! (damn your circular crap Lurk!) wasn't done in movies. Who cares about a Gap commercial. (Is The Gap even still around?)

The rope work and fight scenes. I can't think of a western big budget film that did that. Sure plenty of eastern kung-fu flicks...Iron Monkey, Crouching Tiger etc. No Hollywood shit. No one would take a chance like that on a big budget film.

The story really was mind blowing. The acting was fine. Outside of Keanu being Keanu everyone was damn good.

The style, art and feel of the movie.(green tint for example). It was clearly anime based. which no one would take a chance on back then.

The movie made me want to buy a 66" Lincoln!

It really changed the game as far as digital media went. I want to say this was the 1st must have on DVD? It was why you spent all that money on a DVD player and plasma!

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, hate on it if you want, but there is no question that the first movie is truly iconic. You can really tell how iconic by the extent of influence it had on later movies with the bullet-time, slo-mo fighting stuff.

Keanu was so bad he was good, how can we not love that guy?

I was going to make a list of iconic sci-fi movies and then realized the depths of great cinema in this genre. I need to rewatch some classics again.

Edit: Perhaps in our dystopian future of genderless cucks Matrix 4: Untitled will be equally as iconic; perhaps for being the first movie to have an entire transgender character list, or creating a vision of the genderless future. Or something. It will be shit to those of us stuck in this present and having to watch our past be shredded.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
There were some really cool parts in both the sequels. But they just didn't live up to the first, weren't coherent as a storyline, and the ending was basically DBZ with a sad trombone at the end. Like everyone, I kept waiting for the reveal that they were in another layer of the Matrix, the thing that all that exposition and nonsense from both sequels was explicitly setting up, and poof, nothing. There's a lot in both sequels that's just outright garbage, but a lot of it is colored by the ending as well. The ending they gave us rendered basically everything with the Architect and the Oracle useless. And most of the Zion stuff was bad. The Wachowskis needed another voice in the room to help keep their focus.

I don't understand what happens with some creators who show such early promise, have a success, and then just spend the rest of their careers shitting themselves.

Chris

Potato del Grande
seriously? the original matrix was a gamechanger movie. part 2 was just a normal sequel with some extraordinary well done set pieces. 3 was a trainwreck though. no getting around that.
I agree. Matrix 3 ruined Matrix 2, like Last Jedi ruined Force Awakens. The setups are only good if the payoff is there.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There were some really cool parts in both the sequels. But they just didn't live up to the first, weren't coherent as a storyline, and the ending was basically DBZ with a sad trombone at the end. Like everyone, I kept waiting for the reveal that they were in another layer of the Matrix, the thing that all that exposition and nonsense from both sequels was explicitly setting up, and poof, nothing. There's a lot in both sequels that's just outright garbage, but a lot of it is colored by the ending as well. The ending they gave us rendered basically everything with the Architect and the Oracle useless. And most of the Zion stuff was bad. The Wachowskis needed another voice in the room to help keep their focus.

I don't understand what happens with some creators who show such early promise, have a success, and then just spend the rest of their careers shitting themselves.
There's some strong evidence that much of the Matrix, story wise, was heavily copied from a comic. Thus, when they ran out of material to copy, their true creative process showed in the sequels.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>

I have no faith in Hollywood. I wonder if it's going to shit on current politics or LEGIT be a Matrix movie.

I really think it's going to be the former, what with the transition of BOTH brothers to "Sisters"....

Whatever...heres to hoping i'm wrong

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
#1 was mildly interesting. #2 was barely tolerable. #3 was unwatchable. No chance I'm watching this shit. Plus, it's going to be ridiculously SJW friendly. And the plot is done. And the acting wasn't great.

Other than that, I'm sure it will be awesome.
Watched 2 and 3 recently. Much better than I remember. The fight scenes are bad and there is random bad cg, but there's considerable amount of good and even great

Kiki

Log Wizard
When we had 2 but not 3 yet, there were so many fan theories about wtf it all was with the Oracle, etc. Plus the tie-in with the video game. But then 3 just killed it into some bullshit and made it a bible story.

iannis

Musty Nester
The first was basically star wars. It had that much hype.

What it did not have was a toy line or a sequel that was close to as good. The first is just a really basic heroes journey in a sci fi skin.

Star wars. The matrix dominated for a few years. And if they'd managed to make 2 or 3 as good it really would have been star wars.

Impossible to do that though. You look at the matrix structurally. That was intended to be the only one. He becomes Jesus at the end of it. There is no where for the story to grow. The story is not actually about the matrix. It's not surprising that 2 and 3 are bad, only that they weren't even worse.

This one is going to either be God awful, or a direct remake of the first. So either way it's going to be bad. Hollywood can't rape your childhood anymore, so they're moving into your adolescence.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
When we had 2 but not 3 yet, there were so many fan theories about wtf it all was with the Oracle, etc. Plus the tie-in with the video game. But then 3 just killed it into some bullshit and made it a bible story.
the most infuriating thing about Reloaded was the very ending when Neo blasted the sentinels in the "real world" which suggested there was yet another layer of the matrix which made Neo the One's One. then 3 happened and it shit all over that and it shit on the second film too.

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 8 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
First Matrix is a top 10 movie of all time IMO.

• 6Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

spronk

FPS noob
What it did not have was a toy line or a sequel that was close to as good. The first is just a really basic heroes journey in a sci fi skin.

maybe thats why they are doing a new movie, they can release a bunch of toy action figures with detachable penises

"You take the blue pill, and you keep your penis and privilege and rape minorities. You take the red pill, your penis comes off and you see how far the dilation goes"

• 3Worf
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Seeing how it all turned out rather than go with the Jesus 2.0 path I'd have rather they ripped off DBZ (for more than just the final fight scene in Revolutions) and had Morpheous and Trinity also ascend as we learn all human beings everywhere have this impossible potential that the machines cannot comprehend. Have a human character be introduced that, while still plugged in, can resist an Agent's influence. Give Smith a Vegeta character arc in which he develops a grudging respect/rivalry for Neo as he too yearns for true freedom.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
the most infuriating thing about Reloaded was the very ending when Neo blasted the sentinels in the "real world" which suggested there was yet another layer of the matrix which made Neo the One's One. then 3 happened and it shit all over that and it shit on the second film too.

THIS! I mean that was the perfect way to go with the damn story.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, I got a kick out of it the first time I saw it. It did take me a minute to place him. Kept saying where do I know him from.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

How did they explain that?