The Matrix reboot/remake

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm not trying to start an argument but the amount of 'conservatives' I knew in college who had their disgust reflexes :trigger: by that one scene of a bunch of tan people dancing in a cave was very telling. It was like a biological response. That scene barely even registered in my mind on the first or second watch of the movie as anything other than a little filler, but to a letter, every 'conservative' I knew in college specifically mentioned hating the movie because of that specific scene. None of the proto-SJW liberals had any particular reaction to that scene, nor did any of the libertarian free-market types. But traditional conservatives all had this weird problem with that scene, and really struck me that this had to be what people were talking about when they were talking about there being an underlying biological basis for the political ideologies, like some kind of binary switch.

well. i AM trying to start an argument. why is it that whenever "conservatives" get legitimately frustrated with a show or a movie due to internal inconsistency, poor pacing, or sub-par dialogue "liberals" completely devalue the argument by claiming that it stems from racist or sexist ideologues?

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
well. i AM trying to start an argument. why is it that whenever "conservatives" get legitimately frustrated with a show or a movie due to internal inconsistency, poor pacing, or sub-par dialogue "liberals" completely devalue the argument by claiming that it stems from racist or sexist ideologues?
Because Mist Mist is a dumb cunt.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Because hedonism is not a moral virtue.

It's not so hard to understand. Those people were taking the movie more seriously than you. They wanted it to be allegory when all it was was a movie.

Bait and switch. You observed the moment where your friends suddenly realized intellectually that they were wrong and somehow interpreted that as biological bigotry.

I think they were wrong too. I don't care about the rave scene. But the mistake wasnt "eww, gross, browns". It was an intellectual mistake they made.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
Saw the last jedi. Does it count?

its the difference between having a son who does nothing with his life and is a disappointment (the last jedi) vs a daughter who becomes a stripper whore (valerian/jupiter). Both are bad, but one is way worse.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
so, odds on there being some seriously cringy swj things in that trainwreck of the movie

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I always find the opening of Valerian to be really great. Like just the part where it shows the evolution of the station and aliens showing up, etc. Then it shows the horrible bitch who can't act in a bikini, which is great, then it goes to pure shit.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I always find the opening of Valerian to be really great. Like just the part where it shows the evolution of the station and aliens showing up, etc. Then it shows the horrible bitch who can't act in a bikini, which is great, then it goes to pure shit.

That scene is nuts unless you assume she's just too developmentally challenged/autistic to realize that he's basically assaulting her. Fine as hell though.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
That scene is nuts unless you assume she's just too developmentally challenged/autistic to realize that he's basically assaulting her. Fine as hell though.

I think we should watch the scene, all of us:

And we can debate it frame by frame :) She is pretty damn hot. Fucking horrible actress.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm not trying to start an argument but the amount of 'conservatives' I knew in college who had their disgust reflexes :trigger: by that one scene of a bunch of tan people dancing in a cave was very telling. It was like a biological response. That scene barely even registered in my mind on the first or second watch of the movie as anything other than a little filler, but to a letter, every 'conservative' I knew in college specifically mentioned hating the movie because of that specific scene. None of the proto-SJW liberals had any particular reaction to that scene, nor did any of the libertarian free-market types. But traditional conservatives all had this weird problem with that scene, and really struck me that this had to be what people were talking about when they were talking about there being an underlying biological basis for the political ideologies, like some kind of binary switch.
so you're saying only "conservatives" were able to correctly identify that scene as fucking stupid because they possess no white guilt. gotcha.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm willing to bet there's a character in this new movie that's a dude who becomes a girl when he jacks in for the Wachowski tranny audience alone.

• 2Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm willing to bet there's a character in this new movie that's a dude who becomes a girl when he jacks in for the Wachowski tranny audience alone.

Twenty years ago that wouldn't have bothered me at all, I probably even would have thought it was cool. Now? Bleah.

• 1Solidarity

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
i had such high hopes for Jupiter Ascending, then heard it was awful, but decided to watch it anyway because i was hoping it would be entertaining-bad. it wasn't, it was just painful. i, personally, fear that this movie will be even worse than Jupiter Ascending. the potential pain is so much greater due to actual sentimental attachment to the source material (i was 13 when Matrix 1 came out, I was pretty hardcore into all 3 before I developed actual taste)

Ditto. Handsome hoverboard (Edit - rocket boots, right) wolf-alien warrior though. COME ON. TOO GOOD TO FAIL. I want to know what part of the Wachowski's transition this disaster of a movie speaks to?

Cloud Atlas was a pretentious, convoluted mess as well. Hated it like disease - there were clearly some great acting performances but the movie itself was complete bollox.

Last edited:

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah man it was pretty, and I used to think that if a movie was pretty enough I would always be able to enjoy it even if the rest sucked, but yeah Jupiter Ascending proved me wrong. Perhaps the worst movie ever.

Gods of Egypt would also like a word with you.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
When we had 2 but not 3 yet, there were so many fan theories about wtf it all was with the Oracle, etc. Plus the tie-in with the video game. But then 3 just killed it into some bullshit and made it a bible story.
The first one mentions the Bible and 3 redeemed 2.

• 1Garbage

Cybsled

Ya, best part of the film to be sure. Too bad the rest of the movie was shit lol

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Gods of Egypt would also like a word with you.
Fuck, I'd watch Gods of Egypt about 10 times before even thinking about watching Jupiter Ascending even one more time. It was terrible, but not JA terrible.

Honestly, I can't remember much about either of them, but my gut is telling me my above statement is true.

And you guys obviously haven't watched Atlantic Rim. Not Pacific, Atlantic. You know, the movie that came out right before Pacific Rim, straight to video, made by that company that does all the knockoff movies like that so (dumb) people think they are somehow renting a movie that hasn't even released in theaters yet. I watched that movie for you guys, way back when. And the scars are still there!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users