The Metal Thread

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Metallica was always great. And nice improvement.

Watching that suddenly made me think of the old '93 concert in Mexico City. That was amazing.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

Watching that suddenly made me think of the old '93 concert in Mexico City. That was amazing.

I haven't really listened to Metallica in about 20 years, but they really are a source of inspiration for people, just not for the reason most people think.

Metallica is a band made up of extremely mediocre members who somehow managed to put together the biggest band ever to exist. No one needs to talk about Snare Drum Ulrich there, Kirk Hammett can be replaced by a robot with a wah pedal, and James Hetfield, while an incredible downpicker, is still a downpicker. What guitarist is even taken seriously these days doing only downpicking?

The only exception has been their bassists, and even listening to that video again, I can barely hear Newsted in the mix. The one star of the band completely mixed out.

There will never be another megaband quite like them.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Another one for Zindan Zindan to check out. These guys have a few solid albums under their belt.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't really listened to Metallica in about 20 years, but they really are a source of inspiration for people, just not for the reason most people think.

Metallica is a band made up of extremely mediocre members who somehow managed to put together the biggest band ever to exist. No one needs to talk about Snare Drum Ulrich there, Kirk Hammett can be replaced by a robot with a wah pedal, and James Hetfield, while an incredible downpicker, is still a downpicker. What guitarist is even taken seriously these days doing only downpicking?

The only exception has been their bassists, and even listening to that video again, I can barely hear Newsted in the mix. The one star of the band completely mixed out.

There will never be another megaband quite like them.
Everything (original stuff) after the Black album is pretty trash. They just can't seem to make a song anymore, they can make a bunch of rifts that sound great when isolated, but then they try to mash them altogether and just get this really confused sounding song. Burton and Newsted must have truly been the guys making songs sound like songs.

Goatface

some will probably hate this, but fell into youtube rabbit hole and it was strange team ups

this comment summed it up for me.
Dudriduo - Rob looks like a dad helping his daughters band at a school talent show
Rob would have been like 64 and the chick, who apparently had just started learning english was like 18.

this might be the most insane thing i have seen in a long time

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Back in the mid to late 80s it was great because it was breaking the mold of the hair band faggots dominating the air waves. But listening to that shit now I gotta say while the gitars, bass, vocals were good, the drummer is fucking lacking in a big way. Imagine this band with a good drummer.

And shit even in their early years before they got the fame, it was all about Dave Mustaine of now Megadeth that made that band what it was before they kicked him for being too drunk. And I gotta say Megadeth IMO was a way better band than Metallica ever was.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Back in the mid to late 80s it was great because it was breaking the mold of the hair band faggots dominating the air waves. But listening to that shit now I gotta say while the gitars, bass, vocals were good, the drummer is fucking lacking in a big way. Imagine this band with a good drummer.

And shit even in their early years before they got the fame, it was all about Dave Mustaine of now Megadeth that made that band what it was before they kicked him for being too drunk. And I gotta say Megadeth IMO was a way better band than Metallica ever was.
Not only imagine...

Imo, Slayer was even better... Except in the 90's.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah slayer was one of my faves too. Lombardo is a fucking beast, self taught too. I mean I know its not the death metal of today but its the shit they were all listening too while growing up and its one of the good bands we had in the 80s and 90s and even 2ks. And most of their shit still withstands the test of time.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
some will probably hate this, but fell into youtube rabbit hole and it was strange team ups

this comment summed it up for me.
Dudriduo - Rob looks like a dad helping his daughters band at a school talent show
Rob would have been like 64 and the chick, who apparently had just started learning english was like 18.

this might be the most insane thing i have seen in a long time
Babymetal is a guilty pleasure of mine that I only found a few months ago. I have no idea what they are saying unless I watch a translation video, but they still have a very infectious rock sound. Of course, the main reason to watch them is the gimmick of the 3 girls (2 now, as the "fat" one quit I guess), and I find the singer to be super fucking cute for some reason (I'm generally not overly attracted to asians like most people seem to be). I'm sure this was more important when they were literal children, but I appreciate the fact that they are dressed sort of metal while not looking slutty. They are like the opposite of slutty.

Their stuff is even funnier when you see the translations. One is about getting ready in the morning. This one is about wanting chocolate, but worrying she's gaining weight. But it fucking rocks. All hail to the Fox God!

These are my current "play them 10 times a day" videos. Literally just found out about this band a week ago. Apparently they've been around for a long time, but they recently got a new singer for the clean lyrics, so only back about a year or two is this guy. The old stuff isn't terrible, but I can see why I never heard of them until now. These videos are fucking hilarious too.

• 1Worf

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Eskimo Callboy is awesome. Kinda bummed they are going a bit woke though.

If you like them, check out Blessed By A Broken Heart. They are very similar with a little more 80s to them.

• 1Like