The Metal Thread

Bergraven_sl

shitlord
In case you haven't heard it yet. New Opeth song. I, personally, think it's great. Super proggy.

Edit: Figured I'd add the new Mastodon song while I'm at it. They haven't missed a beat.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just saw Villainizer last week. Pretty bad ass "terrorist metal". They have a Slayer vibe to them.

Arkael

Lord Nagafen Raider
I like it. If you can't appreciate other genres of music then you're doing yourself a disservice. I'm as metal as it gets but I can find something to like in every genre outside of gangster rap and country. The vocals in this song are pretty crazy and I definitely wasn't bored at any point. These guys are hugely influenced by 70s prog rock, this shift in style has been a long time coming.

I've been really getting into the soft songs on Watershed lately, Burden and Porcelain Heart are amazing. If the whole album is as good as those (and this new song) then I can't wait for the rest.

All that being said - I will admit that Heritage never really grew on me and I might be a little biased since Still Life was the first real metal album I really loved.

On another note - Between the Buried and Me + Meshuggah 25yr anniversary tour I CANT FUCKING WAIT 2 MORE WEEKS MY BODY IS READY

MESHUGGGGGAHHH

Some pussy shit with clean vocals

Best opeth song ever

Real metal for anyone who tl;dr

Bergraven_sl

shitlord
I agree with you Arkael. I feel discarding the new Opeth is doing a disservice. The musicianship on their records is second to none in my opinion. They are definitely not the band of old and I can see how most would immediately disregard their new music based on that. Look at what happened to Metallica. I also agree that the last Opeth record didn't quite hold my attention, but it's still a great album. I still listen to Still Life and Blackwater Park pretty regularly. The new track is very groovy, but I won't fault anyone who writes them off. The vocals were sort of reminiscent of ICS Vortex of ex-Dimmu/Arcturus to me. Not exactly, but i thought of his vocal style when listening to it. I can't help but think that if they would have added some growls to that track, everyone would be heralding it as the greatest track in recent times. To me, the growl is overdone in today's metal and I enjoy clean vocals a lot more than I used to. Perhaps I'm mellowing in my older age, or maybe i've learned to appreciate it better, but I find melody moves me a lot more than it used to. But sometimes, you just need some Bloodbath in your day.
wink.png

Enslaved is a band that I believe have filled the spot where Opeth used to sit. They are a progressive/black/viking/death metal or whatever you want to call it band, but to me, they are kings of the progressive metal genre right now. Their albums since Isa have all be outstanding. If you haven't checked them out, go now. Their last album, RIITIIR was great. Lots of growl/screech blackend vocals blended by clean/crisp vocals. And the musicianship is very progressive but heavy.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
I agree with you Arkael. I feel discarding the new Opeth is doing a disservice. The musicianship on their records is second to none in my opinion. They are definitely not the band of old and I can see how most would immediately disregard their new music based on that. Look at what happened to Metallica. I also agree that the last Opeth record didn't quite hold my attention, but it's still a great album. I still listen to Still Life and Blackwater Park pretty regularly. The new track is very groovy, but I won't fault anyone who writes them off. The vocals were sort of reminiscent of ICS Vortex of ex-Dimmu/Arcturus to me. Not exactly, but i thought of his vocal style when listening to it. I can't help but think that if they would have added some growls to that track, everyone would be heralding it as the greatest track in recent times. To me, the growl is overdone in today's metal and I enjoy clean vocals a lot more than I used to. Perhaps I'm mellowing in my older age, or maybe i've learned to appreciate it better, but I find melody moves me a lot more than it used to. But sometimes, you just need some Bloodbath in your day.
wink.png

Enslaved is a band that I believe have filled the spot where Opeth used to sit. They are a progressive/black/viking/death metal or whatever you want to call it band, but to me, they are kings of the progressive metal genre right now. Their albums since Isa have all be outstanding. If you haven't checked them out, go now. Their last album, RIITIIR was great. Lots of growl/screech blackend vocals blended by clean/crisp vocals. And the musicianship is very progressive but heavy.
Good recommendations. I picked up Axioma Ethica Odini earlier this year.

I agree to the extent that, Opeth can do whatever they want. They've earned that right in my mind. That still doesn't mean I have to like the direction they're going but I'm willing to give it a try. Damnation is still one of my favorite Opeth albums. This new song sounds a whole lot like their last album of which I just couldn't get into.

I posted these a few pages back but they're worth posting again. If you want something along the lines of Opeth then I would highly recommend checking out both of these. These are, in my opinion, two of the best albums that I've come across in several years now:

Disp_sl

shitlord
That Ne Obliviscarus album is really fantastic. I think they're supposed to be putting out a new album within the next year too if I remember correct.

Arkael

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm just going to drop this here...

Not because I think it's good, but because In Flames have reached a new low. This song is just terrible
frown.png
. Intro/solos, awesome, buteverythingelse in the song is just laughably bad. I could play the drum/rhythm parts and I don't play drums or guitar. In Flames, what in the actual fuck.

Edit because I needed some ear bleach after that

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
I'm just going to drop this here...

Not because I think it's good, but because In Flames have reached a new low. This song is just terrible
frown.png
. Intro/solos, awesome, buteverythingelse in the song is just laughably bad. I could play the drum/rhythm parts and I don't play drums or guitar. In Flames, what in the actual fuck.

Edit because I needed some ear bleach after that
Yeah, I can't really listen to anything of theirs past Clayman.

Jester Race is still one of my favorite albums though. Seriously, wtf happened to this band?

Arkael

Lord Nagafen Raider
Most people hate on everything past their first 2 albums, personally I liked everything up to Soundtrack To Your Escape which was alright. After that though...it's sad
frown.png
. Is this new crap making them rich or something? I can't stand Anders vocals anymore, if the guy fucked up his voice then there's not much you can do, but the instruments are so bland.

I hope these guys are able to tour here one day

Insomnium + Dark Tranquillity just announced a North American tour for 2015!

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Picking up tickets for the Joliet IL show, It's 6 months away but whatever I will not be missing that show. Two of my favorite melodic death groups in one show? Fuck yea.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
In Flames is hilarious. They sold out because they were getting popular, and then basically became the shittiest band I've ever heard and ostracized themselves from real fans. The best part is if they kept their original sound they would've been insanely popular.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
I pretty much never missed a show when In Flames came to town, but right around the time where Sounds of a Playground Fading was entering their touring rotation I just couldn't take it anymore. That entire album was awful. I could find a few enjoyable tracks on Come Clarity but I didn't enjoy it from start to finish like the other prior albums. Really bummed since I used to enjoy pretty much everything they did up until that point. Anders sounds like complete shit vocally, it's painful to listen to.

edit: I didn't listen to rusted nail until now, WOW that is fucking bad.

Disp_sl

shitlord
They're still really popular. They've got one song on youtube that's a couple years years old and has like 13 million views. Saw them a year ago in concert and hadn't realize how many slow ballad parts their past few albums have. It's like every song has the same structure; decent metal intro, ballad chorus, bad metal, slow shit, ballad chorus. Can't mosh or do shit with it cause the tempo constantly changes.

They do have a couple songs here are there that are decent from the last decade, but most of it is just trash. And that song is absolute shit.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Come Clarity was the last In Flames album. I have no idea what you guys are talking about =/