The Muppets (new Muppet Show for 2015)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
First episode was decent, it definitely has potential. I'll keep watching. I did think the celebrity guests were all pretty lame, I hope those get better.

Sterling

El Presidente
First episode was decent, it definitely has potential. I'll keep watching. I did think the celebrity guests were all pretty lame, I hope those get better.
The Tom Bergeron stuff was pretty typical Muppets stuff, but Banks was pretty bland.

Sevens

Log Wizard
"When your dating profile says 'Passionate bear looking for love,' you get a lot of wrong responses. Um, not wrong. Just wrong for me."
I laughed so hard at this...first episode showed great potential and I hope they continue to push the envelope. This is a definite watch for me now, at least the first season to see where it goes.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
That article hit the nail on the head. This show is for my wife and me, not for our kids. What the hell is wrong with these people?
(Can't say hell)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It was ok. I did laugh at a few things like when the bear just popped up behind kermit and said "everything working out ok?" or whatever.

I think the show is trying too hard to skirt the line between subtlety with the adult jokes. If it's a show just for adults then let it free.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The lady slamming The Muppets is the leader of the group who boycotted JC Penny when they featured same sex couples in their ads. So....whatever.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Kids aren't going to get the adult jokes. People are way to fucking uptight.

I thought the first episode as ok. There were some good one liners and situations. Kermits relationships are interesting and Fonzy was pretty good. There were some good chuckles in between and a little bit of yawn but not bad.

I'll keep watching for now.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Kids aren't going to get the adult jokes. People are way to fucking uptight.
Exactly this. People act like the Muppets are children's entertainment. They're not and never have been. The whole reason Jim Henson created them was because he wanted to elevate puppetry to something adults could appreciate and enjoy. Henson spent much of his early career fighting the notion that he was just a children's entertainer. Now, obviously, they've never gone as far as something like South Park and tend to be more family-friendly, but there have always been jokes in there geared towards adults.

I grew up watching reruns of The Muppet Show, and I've gone back and rewatched some since becoming an adult, and I've been surprised at just how much stuff went over my head. I didn't really see a substantial shift in tone with the new show which has made me happy.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
And there are tons of shows out now a days that have very adult jokes on them that kids don't get. Spongebob being one of them.

Can you imagine if they tried to bring Animaniacs back? People now a days would flip their shit.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
And there are tons of shows out now a days that have very adult jokes on them that kids don't get. Spongebob being one of them.

Can you imagine if they tried to bring Animaniacs back? People now a days would flip their shit.
"I AM A PIANIST!"

"A what?"

"A PIANIST!"

"Goodnight, everybody!"

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Rocco's Modern Life was pretty epic in terms of adult humor as well. I think everyone says its "not so subtle" but that's bullshit. No kid would get the vast majority of adult humor in most of these shows.

Like some 8 year would have any idea what a "bear" was when Fozzy was talking about dating.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Yeah everyone always talks about how adult the humor was on Animaniacs. Your example was a penis pun that anyone who knows the two words would get.
I don't know whether you are being stupid intentionally or not, here. Penis jokes are adult humor, adult doesn't imply subtlety. Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd in drag certainly weren't subtle either. Tarrant was saying people would flip their shit if Animaniacs was on the air today. That just happens to be one of my favorite skits.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I had some of this discussion with my wife tonight about the show. Her saying it doesn't seem right to be so aimed at adults.

I countered with "Who do you think loves the muppets? Kids? Or people our age who watched the show growing up?" With that answer, who should they target the writing to then?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I don't know whether you are being stupid intentionally or not, here. Penis jokes are adult humor, adult doesn't imply subtlety. Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd in drag certainly weren't subtle either. Tarrant was saying people would flip their shit if Animaniacs was on the air today. That just happens to be one of my favorite skits.
Adult humor implies the type of thing an adult would laugh at. Kids laugh at something that sounds like the word penis.