The Netflix Thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Didn't watch the HBO documentary for comparison, but the Woodstock 99 series was pretty crazy. Neither my wife nor I really remember it at all which is strange. Like, I vaguely remember it being a thing, but I didn't know how big of a shit show it turned into, which you think we would have since we were the target demographic when it happened (both being in our mid-late teens at the time).

But I do remember Woodstock 94 really well. I watched it nonstop on MTV. I kind of don't remember what music I was into in 99. I know I was a big fan of Korn around 96-97, but maybe I had grown out of it. And wasn't huge into bands like Limp Bizkit. So I'm wondering if I just grew out of a lot of those bands by then and didn't care much.

The bands for 94 seemed much more relevant, even though I was significantly younger. Nine Inch Nails, Green Day, Chili Peppers 5 years younger. Even then, I look at the lineup and think "I probably wouldn't pay for that."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Didn't watch the HBO documentary for comparison, but the Woodstock 99 series was pretty crazy. Neither my wife nor I really remember it at all which is strange. Like, I vaguely remember it being a thing, but I didn't know how big of a shit show it turned into, which you think we would have since we were the target demographic when it happened (both being in our mid-late teens at the time).

But I do remember Woodstock 94 really well. I watched it nonstop on MTV. I kind of don't remember what music I was into in 99. I know I was a big fan of Korn around 96-97, but maybe I had grown out of it. And wasn't huge into bands like Limp Bizkit. So I'm wondering if I just grew out of a lot of those bands by then and didn't care much.

The bands for 94 seemed much more relevant, even though I was significantly younger. Nine Inch Nails, Green Day, Chili Peppers 5 years younger. Even then, I look at the lineup and think "I probably wouldn't pay for that."

I'm the opposite. I completely forgot Woodstock 94 even existed until you just brought it up.

'99 was on pay-per-view I think and I remember watching quite a bit of it at a friends house who had one of the black box descramblers. I remember a lot things being on fire and destroyed

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
94 was memorable for the mud.

Apparently 99 for the fires. I wonder if the PPV element is why we don't remember it. It was kind of segregated off. Still seems like I would've remembered the fires and rioting and shit from the nes afterwards, but nope.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Decided to give the HBO one a shot (Woodstock 99: Peace, Love, and Rage), and holy shit, if you really want to watch one, go with the Netflix one.

The HBO one is fucking garbage. I'm only 30 minutes in and I'm about done. From some dumb bitch with purple hair "there were just so many white men there!" (at a fucking rock concert? get out!), to DMX's set where he expects the crowd to respond with "my Wakandan" and the outrage as if they're all fucking racists (ignore that in the 90's "race" stopped being a thing -- I mean, they invited fucking DMX to Woodstock and there were hundreds of thousands of white people there singing along), which went right into "those women walking around topless were clearly brainwashed by men into being sex objects" (I guess the men forced them all to walk around with their tits out?).

I was going to make a comment about how I don't understand why they keep making these mirrored documentaries, like the two Fyre ones, but in this case the Netflix one isn't dripping in woke bullshit. They do kind of allude to the music/demographics being at fault for the rioting, ignoring that tons of metal and other concerts didn't have this problem. But that's about the extent of it.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Decided to give the HBO one a shot (Woodstock 99: Peace, Love, and Rage), and holy shit, if you really want to watch one, go with the Netflix one.

The HBO one is fucking garbage. I'm only 30 minutes in and I'm about done. From some dumb bitch with purple hair "there were just so many white men there!" (at a fucking rock concert? get out!), to DMX's set where he expects the crowd to respond with "my Wakandan" and the outrage as if they're all fucking racists (ignore that in the 90's "race" stopped being a thing -- I mean, they invited fucking DMX to Woodstock and there were hundreds of thousands of white people there singing along), which went right into "those women walking around topless were clearly brainwashed by men into being sex objects" (I guess the men forced them all to walk around with their tits out?).

I was going to make a comment about how I don't understand why they keep making these mirrored documentaries, like the two Fyre ones, but in this case the Netflix one isn't dripping in woke bullshit. They do kind of allude to the music/demographics being at fault for the rioting, ignoring that tons of metal and other concerts didn't have this problem. But that's about the extent of it.

They really allude to white people rioting?

Kiki

Log Wizard
1659636954915.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
A festival filled with endless illegal drug use, nudity and god knows how many minors being exposed to or partaking in that? lol that was such a fun time

Cheryl Crow being asked to she her tits? omg inappropriate!

Insightful doc but jesus some of the stuff people are saying and the ideas being pushed are utterly insane. It was an unmitigated disaster in planning and logistics as the promoters fucked the fans as hard as possible in the ass all the while they try and put some of the blame on music or white boy frat culture.
but in this case the Netflix one isn't dripping in woke bullshit
It goes there a little trying to draw retarded connections between metoo and this at the very end.

Its just more retards trying to absolve themselves of their absolutely retarded life choices after the fact. That retarded bull dyke saying "oh I grew up in a strict house hold!" Yeah no fucking shit retard youre too retarded to see the reasoning behind that.

Last edited:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, I had to shut the HBO one off after the DMX shit. My eyes couldn't roll further back into my head at that point. The Netflix one does a much better job of mostly just sticking to coverage of the event.

As a massive concert goer before China Virus fucked everything(probably one of the biggest things I will NEVER forgive "leaders" for), watching this really hit me in the feels. It really brought me back heavily to that time in my life and just how many amazing albums, movies, etc. were released around that period of like '98-'01. Also reminds me of one of my best friends, who committed suicide in 2015. I was a MASSIVE Bush and Offspring fan at the time (still am), so it bums me out that I was too wrapped up in EQ to have done a road trip for this. Would've been one of those experiences I would've loved to have had, having been to many rock festivals since and having a blast. The fact that chicks were walking around naked would've been some top tier boner material to my 14 year old self.

I've actually seen almost every single one of the headlining acts at Woodstock '99 live, since (except Jewel, Alanis, and RHCP). Aside from Bush, they all sound pretty fucking terrible live. I was most disappointed in Korn, honestly. Dave Matthews actually puts on a pretty decent live show as well, but I wouldn't recommend it without being under the influence of THC.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I had to shut the HBO one off after the DMX shit. My eyes couldn't roll further back into my head at that point. The Netflix one does a much better job of mostly just sticking to coverage of the event.

As a massive concert goer before China Virus fucked everything(probably one of the biggest things I will NEVER forgive "leaders" for), watching this really hit me in the feels. It really brought me back heavily to that time in my life and just how many amazing albums, movies, etc. were released around that period of like '98-'01. Also reminds me of one of my best friends, who committed suicide in 2015. I was a MASSIVE Bush and Offspring fan at the time (still am), so it bums me out that I was too wrapped up in EQ to have done a road trip for this. Would've been one of those experiences I would've loved to have had, having been to many rock festivals since and having a blast. The fact that chicks were walking around naked would've been some top tier boner material to my 14 year old self.

I've actually seen almost every single one of the headlining acts at Woodstock '99 live, since (except Jewel, Alanis, and RHCP). Aside from Bush, they all sound pretty fucking terrible live. I was most disappointed in Korn, honestly. Dave Matthews actually puts on a pretty decent live show as well, but I wouldn't recommend it without being under the influence of THC.
Our alternative station at the time WHFS, used to hold a massive concert called the HFStival (started the year before Lollapalooza). I went three years, starting when I was 12. I remember my best friend and I had a tally of how many boobs we'd seen. It was pretty awesome.

Of all the bands I saw there, the only ones that are memorable are Foo Fighters and No Doubt (Gwen Stefani climbed the scaffolding).

Sadly, at the last one, I was in the mosh pit (for Soul Coughing of all bands) and some big motherfucker threw me across the damn thing and I landed on my arm, breaking my wrist. It was probably only like 10 or 11am, and I spent most of the day at DC General Hospital. Think I got back for Crystal Method and maybe one other band.

Didn't go back after that, but the next couple years of lineups looked pretty good. It started to get prohibitively expensive as we were kind of poor. I think for two of them we camped out at a Ticketmaster for tickets.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The fact that chicks were walking around naked would've been some top tier boner material to my 14 year old self.

Even if they sold tickets to under 18s, which I doubt. The fact it descended into Lord of the Flies means a lil twink like you would have been strung up and gangraped before the sun had even set on the first night

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Even if they sold tickets to under 18s, which I doubt. The fact it descended into Lord of the Flies means a lil twink like you would have been strung up and gangraped before the sun had even set on the first night
Don't need a live blog of you fantasies.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I just watched the second ep of Trainwreck: Woodstock 99. I forgot to turn on the amp that powers my left / right speakers, so for the entirety of the section about Limp Bizkit inciting a riot there was no actual sound of their performance. lmao. I thought it was a creative choice of the documentary makers

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Wife and I are enjoying this, if you can get past the shitty dubbing it is pretty entertaining.

Based on the truth and lies of the notorious Swedish bank robber Clark Olofsson - the man who gave rise to the expression the Stockholm syndrome.

• 1Picard