The Netflix Thread

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
This is reminding me a lot of my dad in the 80s when my friends had cable TV and we didn't; "if you're paying for cable why do you still have to watch commercials?"

I mean, he wasnt wrong, and I guess in a way these complaints arent wrong, but yeah, thats not how any of this works.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Paying for any plan and only getting 720p is ludicrous in 2022. But if Netflix is like Hulu with ads you can UBO and forget they even exist

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
And the public rejected that model as soon as it was an option. That's what led to streaming services booming in the first place. Going back to that shitty model isn't the answer.

It was always an option to have an antenna and not pay but as I recall cable/satellite TV was wildly popular for decades. I kind of like the options being "free with lots of ads, cheap with less ads, or more expensive with no ads." Not sure if anyone is offering all three though.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Comcast at least has Smart Resume so when I hit the fast forward button a couple times it auto plays when the commercials are over.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Screw cable. Using YoutubeTV I get unlimited storage for shows/movies and no locked in contract.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Did none of you have cable? I mean it would be great if tv with commercials was always free, but paying for tv with commercials isn't anything new.
Let me be perfectly honest.

I'm a pissy, entitled child about this. I know that paying for no ads Netflix, HBO, and Disney/Hulu/ESPN is still less monthly then I paid for cable back in the day. Compared to what we used to get it is probably a great deal, but I have seen the promised land of OG Netflix with every single thing I wanted in one place with no goddamn weekly release schedules and I refuse to support going back to the segregated bullshit. I will pirate every single thing I can to stick as much of a finger in the eye of all of these companies as possible for taking it away from me.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I can't believe people are willing to watch ads for $5 a month. Watching network shows go to commercial and then just come back instantly because I payed an extra $3 is so wonderful. It would be a good deal at twice the price.

Because it's not $5 a month, it's 5 times the hundred streaming apps that exist now.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Because it's not $5 a month, it's 5 times the hundred streaming apps that exist now.
I only subscribe to 5 or so, depending on the month. Very happy to pay $25 a month to not watch commercials.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Screw cable. Using YoutubeTV I get unlimited storage for shows/movies and no locked in contract.

But in reality you get no storage. Tomorrow youtube could decide to yank whatever you think you have "recorded" aka bookmarked. That was one good thing about a real DVR, you could have shit forever saved on those things.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I only subscribe to 5 or so, depending on the month. Very happy to pay $25 a month to not watch commercials.

Do what you want, but it's definitely not just the $5 a month you were claiming

Did none of you have cable? I mean it would be great if tv with commercials was always free, but paying for tv with commercials isn't anything new.

Neither is riding horses, but it'd be bullshit if they got rid of cars. Shit going backwards isn't somehow a good thing just because something hasn't always existed throughout history

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Do what you want, but it's definitely not just the $5 a month you were claiming

Neither is riding horses, but it'd be bullshit if they got rid of cars. Shit going backwards isn't somehow a good thing just because something hasn't always existed throughout history

I didn't say it was good. It's just normal.

spronk

FPS noob

if they determine extra users on your account are not living with you (???) they will charge $2+ per extra user per account

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Looks like my Netflix use might be ending.
adopt animal rescue GIF by will herring

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Hey now, netflix has some big releases coming this month, totally NOT unwanted sequels to movies that completely bombed and noone cares about:

• 2Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
Somehow they've gained 2.4 million subscribers. Not sure how, I haven't seen anything worth subscribing for.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Haven't subbed to Netflix since they started promoting pedo shit on their platform like Cuties.

I hope they finally get what's coming to them.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>

if they determine extra users on your account are not living with you (???) they will charge $2+ per extra user per account
Still seems like a good deal to me. Now I can give my sister $24 a year and have Netflix just like it was my own account.