The Netflix Thread

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not technically a movie, unless you count BBC shows like Sherlock that air 3 ~90 minute episodes per season as movies, but I just watched all of Wallander and loved it. The best way I can describe it is a cross between Luther and the Millennium trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). It's a bit slow and maybe a little dry at times, but in the end it's one of the best crime dramas that I've watched. Like Luther, it's all about the main character, and Kenneth Branagh does an even better job than Idris Elba when it comes to playing a guy who is a complete and utter mess at everything besides his job. And sometimes his job too, when the show is at its bleakest.

About the only thing that was jarring to me was it being set in Sweden and then hearing everyone speak in various accents from around the UK. I suppose it's probably the same when people from outside the US watch our shows/movies set in other countries though; you just have to get used to it.

Siliconemelons

Starting watching Iron Sky, I remeber the trailer and hype a few years ago- wondered where it ended up... so far its great :p

panda_assassin

Molten Core Raider
Iron sky was awesome, the part with north korea made me laugh my ass off. Was curious and looked up the budget, pretty amazing they could make a movie with decent effects for 8million euros.

other ones:
Monsters
Good the bad and the weird
Submarine
The station agent (my bad, was on instant when I saw it i thought)
Punching the clown
Young adult
Skateland
Stakeland
The grocers son
Chop shop

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I really liked Iron Sky. I thought it was clever and a good satire. It took Europeans to be able to make some really biting commentary on race and Nazism that would have felt pedantic or crass had Americans done it.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
just watched V/H/S and Bernie. i didn't really care for V/H/S i like a bit more plot and some kind of ending in my horror movies. Bernie however is a true story and it felt like an extremely dark comedy to me, i probably shouldn't have laughed at some of the stuff i did. hopefully Jack Black got a nod somewhere as i really enjoyed him in this role from his walking all the way to his mannerisms.

soon as the wife gets home it's time for Iron Sky

Arduz_sl

shitlord
Iron sky was awesome, the part with north korea made me laugh my ass off. Was curious and looked up the budget, pretty amazing they could make a movie with decent effects for 8million euros.

other ones:
Monsters
Good the bad and the weird
Submarine
The station agent (my bad, was on instant when I saw it i thought)
Punching the clown
Young adult
Skateland
Stakeland
The grocers son
Chop shop
This.The Good, The Bad, The Weird.I've never gotten too into foreign films; with the exception of a few. This movie was kick ass though, definitely recommend checking it out. Caused me to go on a Korean movie rampage. (The Chaser, I Saw the Devil, The Man from No Where)

penalty_sl

shitlord
watched iron sky.. it was alright. I had higher hopes than I should have.

also watched the snowboarding documentary called ''the art of flight" fucking amazing.. highly recommend it

Teger_sl

shitlord
If you have HBO Go, "How to Die in Oregon" is incredible. I also really enjoyed "Herb & Dorothy" on Netflix. It's a fascinating documentary about a librarian and a postal clerk that amassed one of the best private collections of modern art on their public servent salaries.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I posted this in the Marvel thread, but Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow suprised me. I was just looking for something stupid to throw on in the background, but the story and characters hooked me.

I posted this in the Marvel thread, but Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow suprised me. I was just looking for something stupid to throw on in the background, but the story and characters hooked me.
Watched this with my son last week, and while it was a cute time waster it's not something I'd recommend for an adult to watch on their own. Hulk VS. , however, was pretty great.

penalty_sl

shitlord
Watched 'the way back' the other night and it was pretty damn good. Its about a group of guys that escape from a camp in ww2 and have a pretty epic journey back to civilization.

Caliane

Man I love Netflix instant.

Just spent all week watching Red Dwarf while working.

Mentioned in the horror thread, how they have all sorts of 50's-60's classic horror movies, which are pretty amazing. Its crazy to go back and look at the weird stuff they were coming up with back then.
But its not just horror.
Added to my instant queue this morning.
Death wish, escape from Alcatraz, The last man on earth, Masque of the red Death, Mclintock!, Cleopatra, The Great Gatsby(one of my all time favorites), In like Flint, Barbarella, The brain that wouldn't die, etc.

Pick a theme and go check it out.
Westerns.
60-80's action. Deathwish, Dirty harry, Walking tall, etc.
50-70's sci fi

Goon was definately, "better then expected"

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i enjoyed it as well, for the most part. i needed something for the kid to watch one day and ended up watching it with him. by biggest gripe is that the marvel movie universe seems to be run by ironman. he is to movies as wolverine is to comics. i mean, i get it that no one needs to know anything about hank pym for an hour and half kids movie... but you're taking one of the biggest contributions to the comic book world and giving it to someone who had nothing to do with it. Hank Pym made ultron. not tony stark. /nerd off

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I second that movie. It was pretty great overall, real fun movie.
Cannot agree enough. Just a phenomenal take on The Good, The Bad And the Ugly film, but a lot like Miike did with 13 Assassins vs. 7 Samurai this took it to a good "different" level without losing any of the presence or feeling of the original.