The Netflix Thread

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It isn't really horror at all, but All The Boys Love Mandy Lane is a guilty pleasure of mine. It is likely partly because it has a 2006(?) Amber Heard in it, who is on the cusp of achieving Drive Angry levels of hotness at the time, but it is still a decent little movie. I've watched it a couple of times over the years, and I think it still holds up. Again, not really horror, and it almost feels like a teenage "coming of age" movie at times (on purpose), but it is definitely more toward the horror spectrum than not. And honestly I think it is one of Heard's better performances, which might not be saying much, but still.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Looks like Amazon prime has a ton of stuff too. A good number of old stuff, and anthologys.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I know this isn't an Amazon prime thread but if you want the most Irish horror movie ever try Grabbers. It's a typical sea monster movie but the Irish twist is that if you are drunk when they attack you they die.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
In the Tall Grass wasn't bad at all. Netlfix has a surprisingly good track record with Steven King adaptations between this, 1922 and Gerald's Game

I wasn't a huge fan of this adaptation of "in the tall grass", i think the novella was better and darker. it wasn't bad though, better than a lot of the B tier horror movies.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Well I just finished watching the first season of Attack on Titan. I am in no way any kind of anime fan, I have watched Gantz.0 (best visual experience of all time, by the way), the old Macross stuff when I was a kid (I also read all the books) and that is pretty much it.

I think I loved Attack on Titan though. The story line had me hooked, even the slow parts about the politics when there was no Titan action. I am suitably impressed. I still cringe at much of the overdone anime reactions and the like, but a good story has its own appeal....clearly.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Well I just finished watching the first season of Attack on Titan. I am in no way any kind of anime fan, I have watched Gantz.0 (best visual experience of all time, by the way), the old Macross stuff when I was a kid (I also read all the books) and that is pretty much it.

I think I loved Attack on Titan though. The story line had me hooked, even the slow parts about the politics when there was no Titan action. I am suitably impressed. I still cringe at much of the overdone anime reactions and the like, but a good story has its own appeal....clearly.

I got hooked early in Season 1, but then whole episodes happened where everyone just talked. I started fast forwarding randomly, then stopped watching. Does it get better?

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I got hooked early in Season 1, but then whole episodes happened where everyone just talked. I started fast forwarding randomly, then stopped watching. Does it get better?

There are a series of really great episodes where they go out through Wall Rose on a Scout mission that are VERY good - preceded by a couple of the talking episodes as they train as Scouts.

I thought the balance of talky talky with action was just enough, but I could see someone losing interest. I thought the last half was way better than the first.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
In The Shadow Of The Moon - Entertaining flick that was let down by an underwhelming finish. A solid ending would have brought it from decent to good.

Caliane

Yeah Ritual was great. I’m actually pretty interested in the list Caliane Caliane as I do enjoy terrible movies. In the Tall Grass sounds good and The Reeds doesn’t sound familiar so those are two good possibilities. Good idea on just searching out a studio like A24, should be solid.
if you really do like Terrible movies. and have amazon prime. Check out the Terrortory anthologies. 1/2

They are BAD. like, full on student films. Cast is clearly friends and family, etc..
But at the same time, just have this charm to them. Far more original and genuine then a ton of the bad horror movies on sci-fi, netflix, etc.
second is a big step up in production. still in student film territory though. ha.

I want this on Best of the worst..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

"Seis Manos" animated series was fun on Netflix.
Once upon a time in mexico meets Kungfu flick. fake 70's reel to reel aesthetic.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

This is one of my favorite comics ever, really excited about this. It would be hard to fuck it up, the blueprint is right there and the art style is really conducive to animation.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
"Netflix cracking down on people that weren't going to pay them anyway".

It's like people have learned nothing from pirating.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Living with yourself was a new series added by Netflix, with Paul Rudd as the lead. I’m 5 or 6 episodes in, and so far it’s pretty entertaining. I will say I don’t like the approach of having episodes overlap each other with different character POV, it’s honestly pretty annoying.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
It isn't really horror at all, but All The Boys Love Mandy Lane is a guilty pleasure of mine. It is likely partly because it has a 2006(?) Amber Heard in it, who is on the cusp of achieving Drive Angry levels of hotness at the time, but it is still a decent little movie. I've watched it a couple of times over the years, and I think it still holds up. Again, not really horror, and it almost feels like a teenage "coming of age" movie at times (on purpose), but it is definitely more toward the horror spectrum than not. And honestly I think it is one of Heard's better performances, which might not be saying much, but still.

Have you seen And Soon The Darkness? ( And Soon the Darkness (2010) - IMDb ). It has the same year-ish Amber Heard, but adds in the even hotter Odette Annabele, who quite simply could be the most beautiful woman alive, and there's bikinis, and it's actually a really good movie too!

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Have you seen And Soon The Darkness? ( And Soon the Darkness (2010) - IMDb ). It has the same year-ish Amber Heard, but adds in the even hotter Odette Annabele, who quite simply could be the most beautiful woman alive, and there's bikinis, and it's actually a really good movie too!
No I haven't, but now I'll have to watch it soon.

Your description already had me hooked, but if you had mentioned that Karl Urban was in it, I wouldn't have even had to look it up to know I'll watch it!

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member

There is much I would sacrifice for a shot at Amber Heard, but the annoying girlfriend chick from Cloverfield? Son, I am disappoint. I second the Karl Urban love (no homo!). I will have to look into this movie as well.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
There is much I would sacrifice for a shot at Amber Heard, but the annoying girlfriend chick from Cloverfield? Son, I am disappoint. I second the Karl Urban love (no homo!). I will have to look into this movie as well.

I promise she’s not as bad in this one!

9302B0D6-3F0E-4080-B24B-6FBFB7555F7E.jpeg