The Netflix Thread

spronk

FPS noob
im a sucker for anything pirate, looks like a 6 part pirate documentary just popped up

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
im a sucker for anything pirate, looks like a 6 part pirate documentary just popped up

I get bored with these documentaries. I was kind of excited for that Age of Samurai thing, but it ended up being like this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I get bored with these documentaries. I was kind of excited for that Age of Samurai thing, but it ended up being like this.
I thought Age of Samurai was awesome. I knew about some of the Nobunaga/Oda clan stuff, but I had no idea about the whole invasion of Korea thing.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Rio Bravo and The Searchers are on HBO Max. Two of my favorite John Wayne movies. I think the Searchers might even be the best western ever made.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Rio Bravo and The Searchers are on HBO Max. Two of my favorite John Wayne movies. I think the Searchers might even be the best western ever made.
Bye Bye Reaction GIF by GritTV

The Searchers is fantastic. Used to watch it at least once a year with my step dad who passed away recently. Was his favorite movie.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just want to give a shout out for "The Ying Yang Master". It was a nice story with good special effects.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
saw about 20 mins of Irregulars, the TV show about Sherlock Holmes street urchin information squad. Watson is a handsome young black man. The "gang" consists of a 17 year old asian girl, her sister a white girl, and her two step brothers a black guy and a pasty white guy. They are all super clean, can read and write, and talk back to the Prince of England without getting flayed alive. Its hilariously bad, like a CW teen drama crossed with Hamilton and Downton Abbey.

There is absolutely no way any 30+ year old adult could stick with it, but it is pretty fascinating to see as an insight into what young adults want in entertainment. A rewriting of history so that every time period is full of racial equality, there is no racism or sexism, women are treated the same as men by everyone, and power is never abused openly, only in the shadows. Its amazing to me that history is being erased of the fact that for most of history, most people got treated like absolute shit.

On the positive side Ip Man 1-4 is on Netflix, and is really great

• 5Like
  • 3Barf
Reactions: 7 users

faille

Molten Core Raider

There is absolutely no way any 30+ year old adult could stick with it, but it is pretty fascinating to see as an insight into what young adults want in entertainment. A rewriting of history so that every time period is full of racial equality, there is no racism or sexism, women are treated the same as men by everyone, and power is never abused openly, only in the shadows. Its amazing to me that history is being erased of the fact that for most of history, most people got treated like absolute shit.
You know Sherlock Holmes if fiction too right? You're annoyed that one person's made up version of history doesn't align with another person's made up version of history.
Neither is going to be accurate, and we'll probably never know to what degree.

• 2Dislike
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean...I sort of prefer a semi-utopian version of history in fiction too. Isn't escapism sometimes the point?

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
I'd prefer escapism in the future (Star Trek) to show what we can achieve, not to escapism the past so people don't forget how shitty life was before us. Its hard to argue about facts if we create a million versions of the past but its pretty much too late now anyways.

i get it though, no 20-something would want to watch a tv show where a group of young white boys solve mysteries for Sherlock Holmes and any women on screen is beat up or sexually assaulted, and the nobility is all white and weird looking and kill, torture, murder, and rape anyone they want with zero consequences. But that is reality.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
... and any women on screen is beat up or sexually assaulted, and the nobility is all white and weird looking and kill, torture, murder, and rape anyone they want with zero consequences. But that is reality.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Give it 50 or 100 years and we will get the replay of the above.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd prefer escapism in the future (Star Trek) to show what we can achieve, not to escapism the past so people don't forget how shitty life was before us. Its hard to argue about facts if we create a million versions of the past but its pretty much too late now anyways.

i get it though, no 20-something would want to watch a tv show where a group of young white boys solve mysteries for Sherlock Holmes and any women on screen is beat up or sexually assaulted, and the nobility is all white and weird looking and kill, torture, murder, and rape anyone they want with zero consequences. But that is reality.
I think the period accurate sexism detracted from the Agent Carter show.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Chalk up another one where I had hope but Netflix fucked it up. Not sure why I bother anymore.

Watched The Last Blockbuster. Summary: A 10-15 minute "documentary" stretched out to 90 minutes by bullshit. What a gigantic failure.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Chalk up another one where I had hope but Netflix fucked it up. Not sure why I bother anymore.

Watched The Last Blockbuster. Summary: A 10-15 minute "documentary" stretched out to 90 minutes by bullshit. What a gigantic failure.

That was pretty bad. Even with celebs in there it still was crap.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
You know Sherlock Holmes if fiction too right? You're annoyed that one person's made up version of history doesn't align with another person's made up version of history.
Neither is going to be accurate, and we'll probably never know to what degree.
Then they can make up their own version of history that doesn't include someone else's made up character. We've said it countless times in these threads, don't call something by a recognizable name just to trick people into watching it, if you have no intention of actually doing right by it. Make up your own fucking character or world, and let it stand on its own, if you think your idea is so much better than the one you stole it from. Make a black Sherlock clone if you really want, but don't call him Sherlock Holmes. To me, that just shows you have zero faith in your own abilities without that extra boost from the established franchise.

Shit like this is how you get a giant iguana called Godzilla, and piss off hordes of fans.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
the first episode of the Lost Pirate Kingdom is pretty bad, like a college level drama play in terms of costumes, production, acting, etc. If you can push past that its ok, some interesting pirate trivia and history but obviously Black Sails or the various pirate podcasts are infinitely better.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
the first episode of the Lost Pirate Kingdom is pretty bad, like a college level drama play in terms of costumes, production, acting, etc. If you can push past that its ok, some interesting pirate trivia and history but obviously Black Sails or the various pirate podcasts are infinitely better.
Black sails was solid.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

thats nuts, $450m for 2 movies?!? must be some production deal for more underneath it

Last edited:
  • 1Picard