The New England Patriots 2014 Playoffs Thread

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
No fucking shit, Sherlock. Plenty of people realize that the NFL is littered with no-calls. Holding happens on almost every single down in the NFL. What has people in such an uproar is the fact that they threw the flag, ANNOUNCED the penalty, then got screamed at/the word from Blandino that the fix was in, and picked it up. I've literally never seen that happen in 20+ years of watching NFL football. I've seen them pick up flags plenty of times, but picking them up AFTER announcing the penalty? Had they just not thrown a flag at all there would've still been plenty of bitching, but I, for one, wouldn't be nearly as upset about it.
Niners aren't even playing and you still can't stop crying about the refs. Grow some balls already

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
pats>ravens Dallas>Packers (i think rodgers is not gonna play well so dallas wins)
colts>broncos Panthers>seahawks (love cinderella story)
Pats>colts Dallas>panthers

Pats>Dallas

Delly

Trakanon Raider
You should be less salty at the flag pickup and more pissed off the retards got a delay of game penalty instead of getting a chance to get a yard for the first on their own.
Every Detroit team can beat themselves no problem, they just don't need anymore help thats all.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to have to say no and award that game winning drive to the Refs.
If we accept that, you still gotta score the game Cowboys-17, Refs-14, Lions-13. That 99 yard TD drive had more ref aid than the cowboys last score.

Jerrah has had the refs in his pocket for years.
Lemme get this straight. Jerry has been paying off the refs for years, but for the last 20 years he's been telling them to fuck the cowboys and keep them at 8-8 in order to allay suspicion? I just wanna be clear that's what you are suggesting. Impressive that you were able to see through the ruse!

Even with the bad PI call (only thing I can think of is that the pass was deemed uncatchable, it hit Hitchens in the middle of his back) Caldwell has to go for it on that 4th and 1 instead of trying to draw them offside.
Yeah, I think this is why it was picked up. Can't believe the announcers didn't pick up on that. It was a shitty pass. If it had been that far over his head they would have seen it. I couldn't remember where it hit the cowboy, I was thinking it was more like his ass. Maybe it was at the bottom of his numbers. At any rate, if the cowboy hadn't been there at all, I don't think the receiver could have physically changed direction fast enough to catch that thing. It looked like the ball must have died because he reacted way too late to the underthrow and didn't even make an honest attempt to get it.

At worst, that play should have been offsetting penalties for holding and hands to the face.

He made contact before the ball was even there as well, if the flag isn't picked up it's a first down in Dallas territory. How can you even attempt to play that off as not a huge deal?

Also, name me how many times you've seen a penalty called like that, a couple players go bitch about it and then officials go "oh okay, let me go pick that shit up then"? It was ridiculous.
What looked like PI was caused by the WR yanking the defender's facemask.

I am amazed so many of you are acting like this never happens. Do you guys watch football all year, or only at playoff time? Flags get picked up all the time. In addition, I can recall 2 or 3 other times when the penalty was announced, marked off and then the flag picked up after a confab. The only argument you have here it usually gets picked up pretty quick for something as routine as PI. I think the only reason this one was announced before it was picked up was that the ref was too quick to make the announcement. Chalk it up to the crews not working together.

One last thing on the officiating. I don't mind if the officials wanna call the game loose or tight or differently from other crews at other games. All I expect is consistency in the game. If it's holding on one series, it should be holding on every series. Seemed almost like the refs were playing a checkoff game.
Call roughing the kicker in a playoff game - Check
Pick up a flag in a playoff game - Check
Call offensive PI in a playoff game - Check
Go an entire playoff game without calling a defensive PI - Check (at least, I think they got to check this box)
Enrage fans of both teams in a playoff game - Check

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I like how people forget the Lions player tackling the Cowboys punter and not getting called, The offensive PI called when the Lions pushed Terrance Williams into the defender, and the Dallas punter returner getting hit after a fair catch was called.

Nope, one questionable penalty with 8 minutes to go is all they talk about

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
A while back, I mentioned how someone I work with mentioned how the Super Bowl is rigged and the referees are the means to get certain teams there. This year is supposed to be Dallas versus Denver.

And then there is that recalled penalty with Detroit having momentum.

*shrugs*
It's all part of Goodell's plans to increase revenue, obviously.

- 2001 Patriots were allowed to mug the shit out the Rams. Literally pushing Marshall Faulk down and laying on top of him when he went out into the flat. The illegal contact rule was enforced more strongly the next season.
- Refs screw Seahawks over bad and Pittsburgh wins 21-10.
- Patriots vs. Giants Superbowls...sorry Pats fans but NY is a bigger market and you got your 3 SB's so too bad.
- Refs screwed over Pittsburgh this year because they need Baltimore against NE since they matchup better.

Every once in a while they'll let a small market team like Tampa Bay or New Orleans win to make it look fair, but successful large market teams(and/or teams with large fan bases like Pittsburg or Green Bay) bring in the big $$. Is that about right?

It would not come as a surprise to me if there was a subconscious bias (e.g. This O-line is very good in pass protection so it must not be holding despite all the defenders yelling at me they're being held, or, Tom Brady/Peyton Manning wouldn't be yelling at me to throw a roughing the passer flag if it wasn't excessive, so I'm gonna throw it).

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
No dummy. The big market teams usually win because the fans actually make a difference when they shout.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
kitYJCd.gif

Facemask grabbed and pulled right into him.

Xevy

Log Wizard
kitYJCd.gif

Facemask grabbed and pulled right into him.
Looking at that... that's the softest "face guard" I've ever seen. Refs should've left that flag on the field for sure. For holding or PI. Oh wells, at least we can see Romo fumble 30 times in Lambeau in the snow.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
yea, looks like the right call was made. The late PI on the lions to help dallas take the lead was strange to me. I don't agree with tackling receivers in the box being a penalty, they could have the ball or whatever. There's a reason you can hold and grab people and shit in the box and have it not be a penalty.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
You soccer fans that are saying the PI call was horse shit or the pickup of the flag was horse shit, are all ignoring the fact that Dez Bryant ran on to the field with his helmet off and yelled at the official. That's an automatic 15.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Stafford is 0-18 on the road against winning teams. time to trade that loser. He'll never win anything, he's just a regular season home game hero

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
You soccer fans that are saying the PI call was horse shit or the pickup of the flag was horse shit, are all ignoring the fact that Dez Bryant ran on to the field with his helmet off and yelled at the official. That's an automatic 15.
Dez wears his ego as a helmet. Special deal with the NFL. Did you guys see him heading to the locker room after the game, making faces and screaming like someone who's being raped in the prison shower? Dude needs to chill the fuck out

Patriots aren't beating anyone who comes out of the nfc. Maybe the Panthers if they somehow get forfeits out of the other nfc team's.
im literally belly laughing

you cant be for real

i dont know if you happened to catch the regular season, but the NFC really sucks. The only things the contenders have going for them is Rodgers is the QB of the packers and the Seahawks are on a hot streak.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
If there was a penalty on Pettigrew, or any other Lions player, then there would have been offsetting penalties and the down would have been replayed. Picking up the flag and calling the pass incomplete results in a loss of down. Detroit got screwed.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The ref already explained why the flag was picked up. The back judge threw the flag, who had a terrible angle. The head ref then called the penalty before the refs had time to confer, which he admitted was a mistake. The side judge, who had a better angle, said it was face guarding, which is legal, and there wasn't enough contact to warrant a PI call so the flag was picked up.