The Newsroom S2

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, I try not to get caught up in my unbelief. The dialogue is much more normal in Kevin Smith's movies, but he has said that, IRL, he and his friends do not speak nearly as well as his characters, who are casual gods of debate.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I was on the fence about whether to watch this season until I saw the super smarmy, self important commercials on HBO leading up to the show. The spots before and after Game of Thrones convinced me not to watch the show.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm a simple creature. As long as Munn is in the cast I'll continue to watch it.

iannis

Musty Nester
Sorkin has a desperate need to prove how clever he is to the world. And he is clever.

The damn thing about it is that he would be REALLY clever if he had even just a little bit of self-restraint.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Given what else is on TV most of the time, I'm really happy to have a show that goes with smart dialogue.

The West Wing was pretty much the same in that regard. The people in government are neither that idealistic, nor that eloquent, competent, or motivated. But who wants to watch a show about some average government employees?

These shows are portrayals of what a newsroom (or a white house)shouldbe like. I don't think anyone is delusional enough to think that things actually are that way.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Pretty much agree with Soriak. It's not a bad show, especially considering what is on t.v. these days.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finally watched S2 premiere, it liked it a lot mostly because of the flashback and technical setups. I totally agree with Soriak's view, these shows shouldn't be watched as being 100% realistic, they're merely a take about how some things work / should work, from a Sorkin's (democrat) point of view of course. Though, I still hate Mackensie's character, mostly because while being english she cultures that awful 1950-like transatlantic pedantic accent out of fucking nowhere. The dialogues are ravelous (nerd Munn against nerd necktie) and some plotlines are interesting (EP going to Nashua following a boring campaign, new EP on site, Alison Pill in Africa, etc). This summer is about Breaking Bad and The Newsroom, and I'm okay with this !

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This show has a LOT of dialogue. That's about the best thing I can actually say about it.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I like the story and the characters. It is a critique of the current 'news' we are offered every day from CNN, Fox, et al. In a better world we would still have good people fighting to put real stories out there instead of fighting for advertising dollars and trying to appease whichever asshole is in charge.

Chrisd_sl

shitlord
I get distracted by Mac's floppy head movements and how much the blonde chick's scrunched up face looks like the predator.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Hallie looks like she's a friend of mine's twin... maybe that's why I like the campaign trail story.
tongue.png

Fazana_sl

shitlord
I'm puzzled by the twatter stuff that ended the show if the story they are basing it on turned out to be a pack of lies. The tweets at the end suggested their version happened? Even at his worst level of cocaineSorkin he wouldn't try and get away with a massive hoax type storyline surely?

The bus story really is the pits.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I wonder if they are being set up by Reese... they've made it pretty clear that the News division doesn't account for much of the network's profits. Plus, Reese got screwed over when he was uninvited from the congressional meeting. He seems like just the type of character who would care about getting his revenge.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I wonder if they are being set up by Reese... they've made it pretty clear that the News division doesn't account for much of the network's profits. Plus, Reese got screwed over when he was uninvited from the congressional meeting. He seems like just the type of character who would care about getting his revenge.
Reese being uninvited to the congressional meeting happens in the future. He gets uninvited because of the hoax story that Genoa turns out to be.

Szlia

Alex, I believe you are wrong. Isn't the only part that happens in the future the chats with the lawyer?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, that was a sequence showing the consequences of last season's American Taliban comments. It was mentioned during their meeting with him this past episode too.