The Official Guitar Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I used 10s on my Telecaster and have forever. I just put on a set of 9s to try out while doing a lot of bending getting a quasi pedal steel sound.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
talent.jpg

I need one.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ola's will it chug and interview segments have become a weekly staple. He did an interview with Kiko Loureiro of Megadeath recently where they start talking about fundamentals practice about 20 minutes in. I haven't kept up with Megadeath so I'd never heard of him before but I liked the interview. I've been doing something similar through a lesson plan that does a 7 day cycle of alternate picking, string skipping, string bending, arpeggios, sweep picking, legato and rhythm with increasing difficulty for 365 days. 20-30 minutes in the morning and 15-20 minutes before bed. If I have more time I'll practice songs, theory or recording but that's hard to do every day. But I usually get at least an hour in every day since I laid out a plan.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Streamed guitar on twitch. Took me awhile to figure out.

Had to get OBS ASIO and then install a reaper ASIO driver, ReaRoute. Sounded great in my ears but there's some weird audio and video sync issues plus occasionally the guitar audio was out of time. I'd attribute that to my playing but there's parts that are way off. You can see it on my twitch channel if you care about hearing what archetype abasi sounds like but excuse the playing. I don't think the abasi is my favorite

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Looking to get back into playing bass and the shitty cheap one i got on sale many years ago just feels underpar. Not looking to break the bank and have been thinking of getting Yamaha TRBX304 which seems pretty good bang for buck. Any other bass players and if so any other recomendations around that price point (lets say $400 or under).

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Has a good look to it. This guy makes it sound pretty damn good:

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Bass player in one of my previous bands had one of those and it sounded great. He loved it. Dude could play Rush and Dream Theater riffs all day.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I tried the neural DSP NTS Suite. Holy fuck. Holy fuck balls. This is the one for me. It sounds so realistic

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Another one I watched recently that came out looking pretty cool was this one:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Even though im bad at guitar, since im a drummer, I love watching these build videos on guitars. There is just something fascinating and satisfying in watching someone take chunks of wood and making them into fine musical instruments.

• 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not a new build, but a luthier I follow is doing a restore on a very jacked up 1953 les paul. Gotta wait a month or so for ep 3 since he's letting it dry for awhile.

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not a new build, but a luthier I follow is doing a restore on a very jacked up 1953 les paul. Gotta wait a month or so for ep 3 since he's letting it dry for awhile.

Yeah been watching this dude for a few years now.

I like the dude from crimson guitars too, hes got a good personality and makes some wicked guitars.

• 2Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
When I was in high school I ended up selling pot to a guy from Hawaii who happened to make really nice koa ukuleles. I ended up being his sanding bitch for a few months on a big order he got from Japan. When we finished he was supposed to help me make a bass with his equipment but his estranged wife found him and wanted the kids back or something so he disappeared along with the really nice pieces of maple, bubinga, and alder I had stashed in his dry room. I was wanting to make a carl thompson rainbow bass like Les Claypool's.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
My bass player friend was recommending schecters in that price range , stiletto I think
Actually ended up going with this. Sounded great in the vids i saw and the overall comment was "I pulled it out of the box and outside of tuning it was ready to go".
My bass player friend was recommending schecters in that price range , stiletto I think
Ended up going with this. Should be here Monday.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's great man. That's what he suggested to me for recording bass on a similar budget. He uses something expensive live, but that's his recording bass

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Here is mine. Got it from China. Neck through, rosewood fretboard some hardwood not sure what but it sounds really good, active pickups.
20200202_130504.jpg