The Official Guitar Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I keep reading/hearing that ezdrummer is the best program to get. But a free and easy diy solution could be to record this drumbit | online drum machine into your daw.

looks like that can't do alternate time signatures?

one of my issues is my songs tend to have a lot of time signature changes. makes creating drum tracks for them a pain in the ass. when i used to do it ages ago i used FruityLoops (yes before the FL Studio name change, i guess it was a long time ago haha) and made a separate project for each section of the song, then pasted them all together in an outside audio editor. really don't want to go through all that again when i'm sure there's a much easier solution these days.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

one of my issues is my songs tend to have a lot of time signature changes. makes creating drum tracks for them a pain in the ass. when i used to do it ages ago i used FruityLoops (yes before the FL Studio name change, i guess it was a long time ago haha) and made a separate project for each section of the song, then pasted them all together in an outside audio editor. really don't want to go through all that again when i'm sure there's a much easier solution these days.
Write the drums in guitar pro and pass them through ezdrummer/superior 3

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

I think that's in the plus version, but I wouldn't spend money on that app. I just use it for simple ideas until I find the time to learn a better way.

Write the drums in guitar pro and pass them through ezdrummer/superior 3
This guitar pro? I'm trying to spend time doing transcription once a week. Doing it on paper now, but I'll eventually want to pick up some notation software.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah, it's just midi but you can program instruments other than guitar. The easiest way I've found to write drums is make something in guitar pro and then pass that into the drum program

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Also with guitar pro.. maybe try it out and see if you like it first if you know what I mean. Then pay if you like it

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i've always been partial to TabIt over GuitarPro, you can do drums in there as well, i have a buddy that does his songs that way... i suppose that might be my best solution. i'm not looking to make a final product or anything, just want something better than a click track for these demos i'm working on. thanks Noodz.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So I redid my partscaster pickups again. The Fishman Fluence single wides have a 'Hi Tilt' option I hadn't hooked up the first time. Had another mini toggle sitting around so decided to give it a try. I'm pretty stoked with the results:

wiring.jpg

battery.jpg

body.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Good interview with Steve Vai. The new synergy amps are pretty interesting. Talking about latency with modelers isn't something I've heard much of before.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So I've always used 10-46(52 at times) since I was like 14 but after checking out this video from Beato, I'm thinking of going to 9's and maybe even 8's.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
  • 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've always been a heavy ass string user. 11s. But I think I'm gonna make the switch - maybe all the way down to 9s. I play some friend's guitars that are 9s and 10s and all the sudden I'm Shreddy McShredderson.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I love the Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings. I've been tuning way down to C# standard for awhile now tho, and have been noticing realllly slight intonation issues when using a capo / Barre chords or any general tighter gripped fretting at higher frets.... Was thinking it's just this guitar since I haven't taken that great of care of it over the last 15 years, but then I tuned up to Eb the other day and all the intonation problems went away. So I probably need to just completely re setup the thing... Do the math and figure out what gauge I should be using for each string in my tuning, take the time to fuck with the tune-o-matic and get that 12th fret intonation perfect at least, and hope that I don't need to fuck with the truss rod because I'm scared to do that haha.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
picked up a set of 9's to give a try this weekend, so a intonating I will go.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I love the Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings. I've been tuning way down to C# standard for awhile now tho, and have been noticing realllly slight intonation issues when using a capo / Barre chords or any general tighter gripped fretting at higher frets.... Was thinking it's just this guitar since I haven't taken that great of care of it over the last 15 years, but then I tuned up to Eb the other day and all the intonation problems went away. So I probably need to just completely re setup the thing... Do the math and figure out what gauge I should be using for each string in my tuning, take the time to fuck with the tune-o-matic and get that 12th fret intonation perfect at least, and hope that I don't need to fuck with the truss rod because I'm scared to do that haha.
Listen don't be scared to touch the truss rod, a lot of people are. If you only do a quarter inch turn there is virtually no way you will do any damage.

My technique is fret 6th string first fret (OR SEVENTH LOSERS LOL) and then also the fret where the body and neck meet. Check the height of the string at the 12th fret from the actual metal fret. You should be able to just fit a business card inside. If it's too high, tighten it up, if its slapping the fret loosen it. Then let it sit for 30 minutes and check again. Almost always you'll find that it's pretty close. And you may prefer higher action or whatever.

If you do a 1/4 turn and wait 30 minutes, you'll be fine. If you find you need to adjust more than twice, I'd wait a full day just in case.

I can't imagine setting up my guitars and not checking relief. If you were close by I'd show you how to do it.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I can't imagine setting up my guitars and not checking relief. If you were close by I'd show you how to do it.

Learned all this stuff myself from magazines and text guides, video guides barely existed when I started playing in 2003, and I live in the boonies anyway so we had 56k and would need about three days to buffer the thing anyway lol.

And yeah, boonies so no guitar store around to have someone show me even, had to mail order my gear.

But yeah I should finally learn now that its 2020 haha, thank you noodz

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Been researching custom gauge strings for the last little bit, here's a good calculator

Took me awhile to even figure out what tension I'm going for on an electric tho, had to look elsewhere... That page just gives examples for acoustics as far as I've read / skimmed. I'm thinking I want ~20lbs on my wound strings and ~16lbs on my nonwound, but definitely still reading / learning, not gonna order a set yet haha

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Listen don't be scared to touch the truss rod, a lot of people are. If you only do a quarter inch turn there is virtually no way you will do any damage.

My technique is fret 6th string first fret (OR SEVENTH LOSERS LOL) and then also the fret where the body and neck meet. Check the height of the string at the 12th fret from the actual metal fret. You should be able to just fit a business card inside. If it's too high, tighten it up, if its slapping the fret loosen it. Then let it sit for 30 minutes and check again. Almost always you'll find that it's pretty close. And you may prefer higher action or whatever.

If you do a 1/4 turn and wait 30 minutes, you'll be fine. If you find you need to adjust more than twice, I'd wait a full day just in case.

This is the exact method I use. Go through this exercise any time I change string gauges.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The 8 to 11 jump at the end of the video is really noticeable. I'm gonna order a set of 8's or 9's for the guitar I have in open D. Maybe 8's. I watched that podcast he did with Friedman where they talked about cleaning up the low end garble that can come from low tunings/7 strings with a high pass filter like what they used the tube screamer for. I think Misha Mansoor makes a pedal specifically for that? If not him, it's similar prog medal guy. Here's the tone talk podcast.

• 1Like