The Official Guitar Thread

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I know this is guitar thread, but lets talk about drums a bit.... So I have a yamaha stage custom kit I bought in the 90s. The kit plus all the hardware and cymbaks (z-custom dry) set me back about $2500. Been playing ever since the late 80s myself. Never in real gigs just people I know and got to know throughout life and shit. Garage type stuff, you know.

Anyway, my older kid (17) has been showing a real interest lately. Hes got some beginner chops and ive been teaching him here and there what to work on, rudiments, shit like that... etc..

So he got a boat load of cash for xmas and had me buy him an electronic kit so he can practice and play whenever without botherin the whole house... So he bought an Alesis Nitro Mesh kit..

Alesis....JPG

And let me tell you what. For $400 or so the thing is bad ass. Last time I played on a electronic kit was in early 2K when my buddy bought one and this is like night and day. I remember his old kit having a sort of lag to it. Not only that the pads sometimes would not register. But this Alesis kit is fucking solid. All mesh pads that have a feel like the real thing, which is huge so you get thet bounce back for stick work and shit, and it has absolutely no lag, or if it does its not noticeable. Man I was on that thing for hours myself just fucking around. Also ordered a Cheap $120 set of double bass drum pedals too and they work like a champ with the kit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I picked up an EVH wolfgang special (made in Mexico) for $450. It's in pretty much perfect shape and at first I really liked it, but now I've kinda cooled off on it and wish I would have bought something else. I'm sure I could resell it for more than what I paid though.

The one thing that really pisses me off is the d-tuna on this thing. I've never gotten it to work right. It only ever shifts my E string up about a half of a step. I finally ordered a new one from Amazon so I'm going to mess with it maybe this weekend and see if I can't get it to work. This was one feature I was really looking forward to having.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The D-tuna is weird. You have it so the bridge is not fully floating (ie it's resting against the body)? And did you tune to D before locking down (and leave the fine tuner all the way up)?

When you say it only goes up a half step, are the other strings losing their intonation too?

I used one once, and I guess it was cool but the uses are extremely limited.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
yeah I figured out the floating thing as I ran across that problem. If it's floating, it will screw up the intonation on all the strings when it's pushed in. As it stands now, it keeps the tuning perfectly on all strings, it just does not shift from D to E, but rather from D to Eb.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thinking about tuning to A standard on my Kiesel. Grabbed some NYXL 10-64's, hopefully they can handle it

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I need a new output jackfor my tele. Anyone replace one and have a recommendation for one? It still "works" but I can tell it's starting to rotate and before that it was already holding the cable kinda loose. Probably wore out after years of use.

Quick search looked like Electrosocket was the only thing that came up in multiple paces.

Last edited:

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
A guy I work with inherited an 84 Taylor from his uncle, he's going to bring it in tomorrow.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Don't really need more hardware around the house but I do love the nolly plugin. Definitely be keeping my eye on this.

Actually, looking at the price now, it's just barely cheaper than a Kemper stage.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
I picked up an EVH wolfgang special (made in Mexico) for $450. It's in pretty much perfect shape and at first I really liked it, but now I've kinda cooled off on it and wish I would have bought something else. I'm sure I could resell it for more than what I paid though.

The one thing that really pisses me off is the d-tuna on this thing. I've never gotten it to work right. It only ever shifts my E string up about a half of a step. I finally ordered a new one from Amazon so I'm going to mess with it maybe this weekend and see if I can't get it to work. This was one feature I was really looking forward to having.

The ones on the peavey’s I had always worked perfectly. They were also far and away the best wolfgangs ever made. The ones that came after from fender and whoever else is doing them now aren’t as good. I regret selling every single one of them.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Live Q&A on the Quad Cortex coming up in a little less than 20 minutes. I've really grown to like NeuralDSP just not Kemper Stage type $$$ yet.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
any of you guys that record make your own drum tracks for your songs? what do you guys think is the best solution for adding drum tracks to guitar demos? both paid and free i suppose.

maybe i should just get a drum kit and a metronome.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm a piano player so I learned how to play drums on my Motif. Sounds surprisingly good.