The Official Guitar Thread

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think I may get it if it's still on sale after my next conference call. All the reviews are good, and If I remember right it's the guitar Carl from guitarlessons365 uses in his videos. The only thing I'm unsure I'll like is the double locking trem. But I have been looking for something more midrange with a better trem system. I've looked at reviews for several PRS Custom 24's/Standard 24's and other Sterlings. The downside is this would be my new video card fund. But I think I need to practice more and game less anyway, until I refill the new video card fund that is.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Amazon shipping problems are helping out a lot of others. I ordered something last night that was guitar related but I would normally order from Amazon for fast shipping. A month to get it. Ordered it from sweetwater and free shipping coming Monday. Something I would never have ordered from them. I would a guitar but not just cables and such.

Borzak

First time using reverb. Common to get offers on stuff you are following. Last years model guitar sold as new I followed it yesterday cause it was the only new one left that color. Offer was $100 off what they had it as and everyone had it for. Worth watching stuff to get an offer or just one of those things?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
First time using reverb. Common to get offers on stuff you are following. Last years model guitar sold as new I followed it yesterday cause it was the only new one left that color. Offer was $100 off what they had it as and everyone had it for. Worth watching stuff to get an offer or just one of those things?

I've used offers a few times and had a couple good results, best one by far was a Godin Doyle Dykes for $1150 that was listed at $1399.

sukik

Never used the sterling but the high end Ernie ball JP models are considered one of the top guitars ever made
I watched a bunch of reviews. It's made in Indonesia and the only quality complaint was that some people don't like the active pickup. I ended up ordering one, figure I can get get out of it at that price if I really don't like it. Which, I don't think will happen.

I ordered some budget pedals to go with it. The modeling on my little mustang isn't great. The reverb, delay, tremelo sound ok on the back end, but it's limited in how you stack effects. I know modelers are probably the future, but I'm a tactile person for a lot of things. So I think I'm going to spend some time with real pedals. I spent yesterday watching pedal reviews and ended up getting a behringer heavy metal, behringer super fuzz, behringer vintage overdrive, joyo wah/volume combo and an isolated power supply. The behringer's are plastic and cheap, but they're just gonna sit in front of my amp at home so I don't care. I know the next thing I'm going to want is a tube amp with an effects loop. The gear acquisition syndrome is strong.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had to use an HM2 for a cover set we did of dismember so... Well, I guess let the sound do the talking. Yes I was stiff

• 1Like

Borzak

I've used offers a few times and had a couple good results, best one by far was a Godin Doyle Dykes for $1150 that was listed at $1399.

That's not bad at all. This one was just $499 down to $401. Nothing major just wondering if it ever worked. I want that color even though it's a year behind the current one.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
you guys have any experience with looper pedals? i'm thinking about getting the Ditto X4. really want something that i might actually be able to gig with at some point, the two loop option sounds awesome since i'm thinking about adding a bass to my rig too...

slight change of subject: lately i've been experimenting with running my guitar to two amps using a simple Y cable, running one amp with distortion and the other amp clean with my echo pedal. i can get some really awesome tones going... since the distorted chain ends up both boosted and compressed because of the distortion pedal, i can get it to where i have just distortion when i play light, and the louder i play the more clean echo i add. it's really counterintuitive at first having to play quieter to get a more pure metal tone, but the end effect of being able to add in clean echo licks while playing a mostly distorted riff is pretty fun. and otherwise, it enables some pretty great tones that wouldn't be possible if the chain with the echo was mudded up by the distortion.

broke as a fucking joke tho still since my cancer is back and i didn't want to start my cashiering gig during a plague AND chemo together. i see that Sweetwater and a lot of the other places are doing a new thing where you do monhtly payments with your own debit/credit card instead of applying for a new card... apparently it still involves a minor credit check, tho, so hopefully they approve me.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you're broke man I would highly caution against financing some gear. I did that when I was broke in college and it had a high interest rate and took me a long time to recover

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
If you're broke man I would highly caution against financing some gear. I did that when I was broke in college and it had a high interest rate and took me a long time to recover

nah this is 0% with your own debit card, and living on fixed income i guess isn't the same as being broke -- $50-$100/mo is affordable and within the range of my normal entertainment budget for the month most months

also noteworthy, despite the fixed income, i don't live check-to-check, and do manage to save a little (5-10% of my income) each month so hey

any more than that $50-$100 a month range would be irresponsible for sure tho

this 0% with your own debit card thing is super new, i had no idea it existed until just this morning. looks like a lot of places have switched to it instead of running their own credit card line, only the biggest of the big stores still have the credit card it looked like when i glanced around (i.e. Musician's Friend and Guitar Center... Sweetwater interestingly has both)

gonna cancel Netflix, that's $!5 a month right there haha :)

yaph

Molten Core Raider
JHS made a good video on Behringer pedals. There are several that are identical to Boss pedals and for the most part they all sound good.

• 1Like

sukik

Ryan from 60 cycle hum has been doing a series on budget pedals. He just happened to do a behringer episode this week. They seem like a good way to figure out if you like a pedal without breaking the bank on vintage stock.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah in my case since I was doing a cover I tried to imitate their sound 100%. I also promptly sold it for like $140?? The boss HM2 that is.

It's a gnarly pedal, just be ready for it. It's hard to tame

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Not a guitar thing but this guy kills. His apartment looks eerily like one I lived in in Boston

• 1Like

sukik

Yeah in my case since I was doing a cover I tried to imitate their sound 100%. I also promptly sold it for like $140?? The boss HM2 that is.

It's a gnarly pedal, just be ready for it. It's hard to tame
I'm just looking for something to do some chugging practice. The UM300(metalzone clone) is gonna be on my next order. They're outta stock right now.