The Official Guitar Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I had no idea that he was such a hybrid picker. Good thing that video is so close on his hands because I'm going to start practicing that go-to lick of his.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Do any of you have experience with travel guitars? I travel a bit too much for business these days and I'd like to have a guitar on me.

Also, I might have to get one of those Suhr Koji Compressors.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My dad had a travel guitar he used, unfortunately I don't remember what kind so that doesn't help at all.

I've been on a Jason Becker kick the last week or so.. damn, listening to his early stuff makes me sad.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Do any of you have experience with travel guitars? I travel a bit too much for business these days and I'd like to have a guitar on me.

the "Little Martin" from Martin acoustics is only like $299, sounds great, and is pretty portable. there are smaller options from other companies, though, if you need it even more compact.

Seventh

Golden Squire
What did you use to record your drums?
Reaper for the sequencing, Superior Drummer w/Metal Machine for the kit. Drums are my nemesis, I just don't think like a drummer so despite my best efforts to write interesting parts it ends up sounding even more like sampled drums than if I just used some generic pre-made bits instead. For demo crap I suppose it does the job but eh, nothing beats the real thing.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Damn, Superior Drummer is like $150 minimum. I'll just keep using my Yamaha MOTIF and record drums using a keyboard. It actually sounds really good. A littletooclean for my tastes sometimes, but the sound is generally quality.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Figured this would go here. Great interview with Ian Thornley. He plays and talks technique, gear, and pretty much geeks on guitar out for close to an hour.

I really enjoyed this video, I think I had seen the name before but hadn't really listened to anything by him. A lot of what he talks about with technique/inspiration/etc. really resonate with me. Listened to some of his stuff and it's pretty good as well. Not exactly my cup of Tea but his playing is fantastic.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

How often at a time and what luggage? I don't have a travel guitar but I have a nicely redone 3/4 Mexican Strat I just take the neck bolts out of and can carry in my bag easily between clothes. Would be junky cheap if I didn't use it as a testbed for a bunch of pickups but the expensive stuff I can salvage if it ever gets destroyed. FYI, I just didn't really like the travel guitars but I also don't do it enough (or long enough, really) to accept the compromise.

Funny enough that bag has never been searched and I figured it would be 'mess of metal thingies in clothes'. The nice thing is if I ever need/want to play it actually sounds awesome and unless you are paying attention or know guitars it doesn't even look off.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
I really enjoyed this video, I think I had seen the name before but hadn't really listened to anything by him. A lot of what he talks about with technique/inspiration/etc. really resonate with me. Listened to some of his stuff and it's pretty good as well. Not exactly my cup of Tea but his playing is fantastic.
Palum,
Make sure you check it all out. His solo stuff is pretty mellow, where his band Big Wreck is very Zepplin'esque with open tunings, time signatures, sound, etc.. He also had a self titled solo album under "Thornley - "Come Again" that was MUCH heavier.

Between Big Wreck, Thornley, King's X, and Porcupine Tree, my guitar fever gets treated pretty well.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Nah it's the mellow shit that kind of bothers me. It's like good rock then he goes into the sort of 90s esque whisper-rock sections, if that makes sense. Just meh on it. It's not offensive music, just kind of relying on song construction techniques I don't care as much for.

Moebiwan

shitlord
Another Thornley interview from a few days ago from Anderton's UK. This one is better imo. Ian's playing is, as usual, superb, but I really enjoyed him talking about his influences, and the slide playing at the very end is monstrous.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You know, I have to throw out a big fuck you to Fender for their bullshit on the 10 for 15 thing and the handling of Mustangs/offset bodies in general. I've waited all year to see what the offset/Mustang model was and not only is it merely an uninspired natural copy of the longboard Strat that mimics the aesthetics of the race stripe versions, you simply won't be able to buy one because LoL, collectors. Apparently they, like every other 10 for 15 model, are already sold out before it's even 'released' which means absurd markup. Wouldn't even care, if they still made any other useful version of the guitar.

I've really wanted a decent short scale for awhile now, specifically a Mustang, but the closest I came was the Pawn Shops with dual buckers and a hardtail which was great in theory except every version I've found since they released has been QC bullshit issues.

I'd really just like if for once Fender USA could make a good damned Mustang that wasn't some $1800 "heritage edition" or artist edition with shit trem hardware. They just will not remake that damn thing to modern specs like they do literally every other guitar and I refuse to pay $1200+ for a shitty 60s/70s equivalent of the Bullet Strat that's in shit condition.

/rant

I may just end up getting one custom made or building one from one of those custom shops.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Anyone have experience with Bare Knuckle Pickups? Thinking about putting a set in my RG.
I have the Aftermath set in my Carvin singlecut (mahogany), and the Miracle Man set in my JP6 which is basswood. Both sound fantastic. I'm assuming your RG is basswood, so give the Miracle Man a shot - especially in the bridge.

I'm not sure they're really worth twice as much as a comparable Duncan or DiMarzio but IMO if you really dig the guitar it's worth rolling the dice. They're fairly easy to eBay for not much of a loss if you end up not liking them.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I asked the Bare Knuckle guy for recommendations, he suggested some combination of Nailbomb, Rebel Yell, and Miracle Man. I went with a Nailbomb in the bridge, Slow Hand in the middle, and a Rebel Yell for the neck. I'll definitely check out a Miracle Man at some point, though.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So on the pickup side, I put an Alumitone (single coil size) in a 3/4 strat I have. I left it back east for awhile but brought it back recently and finally actually tried it in my AC30.

That's a beautiful sounding pickup. It's definitely different than a normal single coil but it's a crystal. I think I will try some more at some point. I almost wonder if the humbucker or P90 sized Alumitones would get too edgy/heavy and fuck the sound up, though.