The Official Guitar Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
In noodles ongoing blog of trying to trade away his Caparison because he's an idiot. This was offered. If the guy accepts I'm gonna do it.

Esp e-ii horizon with original Floyd rose and dual emg-707(ehhhhhhhh)

received_10155771979752224.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yes and I'll tell you why since you didn't ask.

Around 15 years ago I was referred to a local tech that worked magic. $65 and it took him a week to do a setup on my rg3120, one of the best guitars I've ever owned.

I get the thing back and first thing that happens is the screws on the back of the locking nut fall out in my hands. Then I notice it's not even tuned to what it should be. It's almost like he took it in and set it up at whatever it was sitting at and left it.

I was so pissed off that I learned to do setups myself and have never paid another person to touch my guitars. I also do all electrical work on my guitars.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If you want to learn setups, check out Sam Deeks on youtube. He does full videos of the entire process, including floyd rose setups, fret work, nut, action, electronics, etc... It gets long winded since his vids are all like 2-4 hours long, but you can just use FF.

Sam Deeks

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Crazy to think everything is on YouTube now. I learned how based on a written guide on jemsite with hand drawn diagrams

• 1Worf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Crazy to think everything is on YouTube now. I learned how based on a written guide on jemsite with hand drawn diagrams

Yeah it is crazy is it not? Only like the past 10-15 yrs and it has grown exponentially to encompass leaning about anything really. Shit, I remember back in my day, 80s, we had to go to fucking library to learn about shit, and it was not that fun. Itss crazy times we live in, literally most information about any subject at all, available at your fingertips anytime and anywhere.

Just last week I looked up a video how to set up/ fix my rear derailleur on my mountain bike. Explained in 15 min. Was too lazy to take it into shop for tuneup.

• 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i had a Guitar World subscription for a couple years before i actually started playing. that was back when i was still on a 56k modem, so Guitar World helped a lot. loved Kerry King's column on playing technique.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My guitar teacher was an engineering nerd and he taught me all that shit. When it comes to guitar, I follow the Ron Swanson mentality.

1525967120249.png

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
My first go around with Floyd was nothing but frustration. Then when I started bending strings I realized that having my guitar constantly out of tune was a bigger bitch. So I went back to Floyd 6-7 years ago and learned how to maintain them. I really couldn't imagine owning anything else unless I was only playing rythm.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's my mentality too alavaz. They're frustrating to people new to them but theyre stupid awesome for tuning stability and guitar acrobatics

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Saw today that Fender changed their line going forward. No more standard models, at least right now. The MIM is the Player model which sounds odd. Not sure what they are going to call the standard American model.

Edit - player model, first place I looked had it wrong.

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
What brand guitar strings are you guys using. Somehow in the move I lost my stash of guitar strings for my telecaster and I broke a string yesterday. In the past I always used Ernie Ball and some Fender strings. I'm not sure what is even available nowdays as I haven't bought strings in quite a while. I found a string I liked and stocked up on it, somewhere lol.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I use D'Addario NYXL strings. For my shredding guitar I put on the 09|42. They are really thin and are awesome for bending and such. On my other guitars I put on the 10|46 which are a more standard gauge.