The Official Guitar Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The Ernie Ball skinny top / heavy bottom strings. Been using them forever, haven't seen any reason to switch.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
My new 7 string Mayones Duvell Elite Custom..

26.5" scale
20" radius ebony fretboard
BareKnuckle Ragnarok pickup set
Hannes bridge w/Hipshot tuners

Can't wait to get home in August to play it!

36463605_1824465654263847_505403400314159104_n.jpg

36433975_1824465997597146_6474521447619362816_n.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Lesson of the day. Don't trust cheap feeler gauges. Got my strings and was doing a set up since I have played this guitar in a while. Felt pertty close but I thought I would check it. At first fret it is supposed to 0.020 give or take 0.002. Well the 0.020 gauge would fit but not the 0.018 lol. Got my starrett mic out and checked them. I got these gauages one from my dad's toolbox. It must have been a giveaway set. Some were "close". Some were more than double the thickness. None were below. Spent half an hour checking the thickness and marking them with the right number. I hope he didn't use them for something important at some point. Most of my tools are at my house, luckily I had a good mic set.

I know what to get him for his birthday now. First fret relief now set to within 0.0001 of inch LOL. Overkill best kind of kill.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I mean...he's a legend of his time, but that's not all that impressive given what hundreds of other players have done since. Steve Howe was ripping some extremely impressive finger picking not even 10 years later.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I’m not claiming he’s the greatest of all time. I like that song and wanted to learn it and vastly underestimated how hard it is to play, at least for me. I’ve never practiced melodies under bass lines like that though.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Saw an interview with Chet once and he said he played like that starting out because he didn't know any better, and now lived in a house with a guitar shaped pool lol.

On a serious note considering picking up a hollow body or a semi hollow just to play around with. Nothing major and nothing mega expensive. I've never played anything other than a solid body. Down to two teles now, but I had a strat as well until just recently. Might even go for one that is not black.

Last edited:

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I was practicing up my finger picking for a while. I can do some of the Chet stuff, but Merle Travis stuff like cannonball rag eludes me. Don't have the brain power for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So the Chibson I special ordered this spring is being delivered this week. will post some picts.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Sorry if this a repost but I just came across this. Really good watch tho:

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Electronics are shit, but they will be replaced with good shit soon. Still sounds good though. $320 with case, lul. Mahogany 1 piece body, real ebony frett board, mahogany neck, burl maple top. Even the action is pretty good.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That's beautiful. I've started creeping guitars on CL lately. I haven't bought a guitar since I had my Carvin built in 2009.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If you contact a dude on Ali Express from a reputable store (been around 2-5 yrs) you can custom order anything you want. Color, wood, etc... You can even send them pictures and tell them this is what I want. They even have the mayo guitars like above and other knockoffs too. Not just gibson LP.

The problem is they use shit electronics (although there is a few stores that sell good shit for more money) So be prepared to change them out. I bought a Fender Strat a few months ago for $200 including case. The fucking thing is badass. I put on a pre wired pickguard for $75 and the thing is even more badass.

The way I look at it is youre buying the wood and craftsmanship (which is pretty good these days) for nearly nothing.

Ali Express has your back too. They dont actually pay the seller until you get your shit and are happy with it. If youre not happy you can dispute and they will give your money back.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>