The Official Guitar Thread

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
Seventh, have you seen the Big Wreck takes from the Suhr guitar sessions this year? Ian's on fire at this point in his career

Seventh

Golden Squire
Holy shit, no I hadn't seen that. And that was awesome.

Edit: Oh shit, there's a bunch of stuff up on YT from this too.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Thanks once again! It seemed like a no-brainer to go with the HD500 since it was right in my price range. Got it home today and...holy shit! It is EXACTLY the thing I was looking for. Having a blast with it and it gave me that "just a few more minutes playing" vibe I used to get when I was young. Yes, a lot of the presets are gimicky; and yes, it is a bit intimidating to learn. But for late night playing and noodling while my kids are asleep this is a dream machine. Included with picture is my beat-to-crap Warlock with EMG-85 hah hah. I know I should buy a new guitar at some point but I really just love playing that Warlock.
Fuck yeah dude, great to hear!
biggrin.png

Also, Warlocks FTW. Get yourself a sawblade codpiece and bust out some W.A.S.P. covers at once! \m/

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I need to see Big Wreck live! That's quite a bit better than the studio version!

Seventh

Golden Squire
Youtube will probably take this down (and I'll be kind of flattered if they do, haha) but I knocked up a quick one-shot video of the Holy Wars rhythms. I'm not playing it 100% accurately but who cares, fuckin' song is a blast.

The first 10 seconds is a lot quieter than the rest so turn your volume down.

Moebiwan

shitlord
It's a shame how under appreciated Big Wreck is outside of Canada. Ian is a beast.
Big Wreck and Eric Johnson cuttin it up...

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
Youtube will probably take this down (and I'll be kind of flattered if they do, haha) but I knocked up a quick one-shot video of the Holy Wars rhythms. I'm not playing it 100% accurately but who cares, fuckin' song is a blast.

\m/

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider

Nice - really good playing! That's one of the songs I'm trying to learn at the moment. I, errrr, can't play it that well yet
smile.png

Hilariously enough, right after I bought my POD I was in a shitty bike accident and tore my AC ligament in my shoulder. Haven't had proper use of my arm for 3 weeks which sucks. Talk about irony - don't play for years, start playing a lot, get injured can't play.

Just in passing, one of my favorite things about the POD is how easy it was to get a good custom sound. I mean, sure, there are like a million things I don't know what to do with on it, but it was pretty easy to program in a good metal-rythym; metal-lead; metal-clean series of sounds. Fun times.

My learning list is currently as follows:

Wake Up Dead
Reign in Blood
Holy Wars
Hanger 18
Metal Church: Metal Church
Bunch of AC/DC
Bunch of Rush (I'm Canadian!)
Blues stuff + scales

How could I forget how much fun it is to play guitar....?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I really fell off the playing guitar bandwagon a few years ago.. need to get back into it.

Haven't played seriously in many years after selling everything to fund schooling.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I came

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Going to record some stuff for the first time really at home, right now I dont have an input so what would be a good option for a budget price point? Also, what mic would you guitar gurus here recommend that isnt insanely pricey?

Thx in advance

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Finally learned to play Old Man by Neil Young reasonably well. It's a song I've wanted to learn it for years but never thought I could but I found a good lesson video online and holy shit that's a fun fucking song to play. Fun to learn Neil's strumming style in general.

Recently I've knocked Ohio, Norwegian wood, blackbird and old man off the list of songs to learn. Next two are fire and rain and landslide but the finger picking has me seriously fucked up.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I like to think of learning to play hard songs as levelling up. When I first started playing guitar, after about 4 months I got obsessed by Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne. Song took me like 6 months to play at full speed (and shitty vibrato), and I felt afterwards that I was a much much better guitarist. Same goes nowadays when I try to learn Children of Bodom songs.. but the old ones are hard as fuck, Alexi can shred.