The Official Guitar Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I switched from a .88(orange) to 1mm(blue) tortex a few months ago. I've found that I can use it for both rhythm and single note practice so I'm sticking with it for the foreseeable future.
I’m pretty sure the .88 is the green and the orange is thinner yet. I’ve found that my Goldilocks pick is the blue tortex as well, love it. Never tried out the jazz picks everyone here loves so I am going to give them a try. I do mess around with thumb picks when I do some Travis picking. I prefer the white Dunlop thumb picks.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I’m pretty sure the .88 is the green and the orange is thinner yet. I’ve found that my Goldilocks pick is the blue tortex as well, love it. Never tried out the jazz picks everyone here loves so I am going to give them a try. I do mess around with thumb picks when I do some Travis picking. I prefer the white Dunlop thumb picks.
You're right, the orange is .60. I pulled out my stash for comparison.
IMG_20200623_081636.jpg

Also, be prepared for it to be thicker. Sweetwater puts it at 1.38mm. This is it compared to a 1mm + 1.14mm

IMG_20200623_084544.jpg

I tried the Jazz III for a bit after watching a Kiko Loureiro where he talks about his style of playing with the least amount of force to get a good sound. I'm not really to that level so I'm just gonna stick to the 1mm.

A few months ago I figured out I didn't know how to hold a pick correctly so that I could hang on to it for long periods of playing rhythm. It took a few months of retraining but I've got the hang of it now. Part of the downside of self-taught progression I suppose. Now whenever I watch someone play, or watch a lesson video I pay close attention to their picking technique, wrist movement(or lack thereof), arm movement, and posture to see if it's something that works for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Bought something off musicians friend deal of the day. It actually shipped the day I bought it. First time for everything. Free UPS shipping bought today and on schedule to be delivered Thursday.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Now I'm trying to decide if my thumb is small, medium, or large size to order a thumb pick lol. Order from Musicians friend is actually in town already ready to be delivered tomorrow. Miracle lol. Dradnaught case for use just here at the house, not going out gigging or anything.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
These are my two favorite thumb picks. I’d probably start with large. I don’t feel like I have really thick thumbs but the larges fit me the best.

Fred Kelly Picks D2B-M-8 Delrin Slick Large Medium Guitar Pick
Dunlop 9002P White Plastic Thumbpicks, Medium, 4/Player's Pack

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Now I'm trying to decide if my thumb is small, medium, or large size to order a thumb pick lol. Order from Musicians friend is actually in town already ready to be delivered tomorrow. Miracle lol. Dradnaught case for use just here at the house, not going out gigging or anything.
Go on a pick quest like me. Just bought a fuckin assload of picks and tried them all out. Definite winner and losers. My dad uses fender thin picks. Thinnest pick I've e we seen

• 1Like

Borzak

I've got a metric ton of picks. Just was gonna get one of the thumb picks mentioned above, the fred kelly. I see now the light and medium in a regular size and then the jazz models have a small/medium/large size.

Last edited:

Borzak

Case came in. Not bad. Ordered on Tuesday and arrived Thursday free shipping from Musicians friend/guitar center. A record. Having said that I'm cursed from now on. I ordered some strings from them before and they stuck them in an envelope and came USPS and it took 3 weeks to get them. Ordered a couple of those bumblebee picks from amazon. See how those work out.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You guys got me hooked on this guy, thanks.

GOD DAMNIT king fish is such a good player. Love his voice too

• 1Like

Borzak

Speakin go picks I have a couple of gallon ziplock bags of picks. Thought I'd go through them and see what plays best on the acoustic. I dumped them all out and kind of sorted them and played some. I had no idea I had that many different kind of picks I've accumulated over 30 years. Guessing a good many of them are no longer even available. I'll get back on it tomorrow but guessing the one I decide on will no longer be available know me haha. Couple of pounds worth at least.

Borzak

What does everyone use to sit on while playing? I used to use just whatever and it did not matter, or standing up for that matter. I need something a little more ergonomic playing the acoustic. Guitar chair or drummer throne? I wouldn't need anything fancy, just something at the right height. Ideas?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've always used office chairs that you can remove the arms(or doesn't have any) For the bigger bulk of an acoustic you might try grabbing a foot stand and see how that goes.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have been using my office chair but I find i let my posture go the longer I play and start to slouch, when i have time I'm gonna dig out one of my rolling stools from the garage and give that a try.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I do a sort of crossed legs thing. My right leg is tucked in the seat while my left is raised and bent with my foot flat on the chair seat. The guitar sorta sits in my lap with the lower horn on my left thigh. Then my back is leaning on the chair and let the chair lean as far back as it will go which keeps my posture pretty well. After a bit I'll switch it to a more proper posture sitting almost on the edge of the seat but I always end up back to that leaning back in the chair thing.

EDIT I almost always sit meditation style crossed legs no matter what I am doing.

Borzak

Bumblebee pick came today. It fits fine. I ordered light. I'm going to play around with it a while and how it works picking. I ike it so far but need to try it for a while to really get the feel of it. First impression I may order a medium if I decide to stick with it, or possibly a heavy, or both. Yeah I should have ordered all 3 but I was afraid it wouldn't fit and be cumbersome as shit to start off with.

I thought about taking the arms off an office chair. I went to goodwill this morning and they had a stool that's adjust up and down to bar stool height down to about chair height. Swivels and such. I'm gonna try it for a while. Paid a whopping $8 for it and I think it's brand new from the seat on it.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've got a Roc-N-Soc I keep by my setup but I rarely sit in it. It's mostly for recording or dialing in tones. I'm a standing while playing dude. That's when I'm most comfortable.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Looks great for how much I like mine but certainly taking it to the next level. I've actually gotten to know Freddy pretty well over the years since I bought my Dockstar. Might be time to give him a visit at his shop. I would want to rearrange where the 3 way and the toggles are currently tho. Have the 3 way up by the lower horn and the toggles in between the humbuckers, as low down to the edge that they could be.

reprise.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
What does everyone use to sit on while playing? I used to use just whatever and it did not matter, or standing up for that matter. I need something a little more ergonomic playing the acoustic. Guitar chair or drummer throne? I wouldn't need anything fancy, just something at the right height. Ideas?

i'm about to go on a quest for a good stool. but i do use one of those pop-out footstools for my left foot, classical guitar player style. and i always play sitting (Robert Fripp doesn't stand why should i :p )